PDA

View Full Version : How to buy 2nd hand Car privately with encumbrance on it

erorxxx
21-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi I am planning to buy a 2nd hand car buy the owner told me that there is still money owing on the car ?

and the seller wants to use the money that he get from car selling to pay off the loan..

so my question what is the best thing to do here?

say if he still owe $13k on the car and I buy the car for $23k

should I just pay him $10 k ,transfer $13k to finance company and take possession of the car??

I never have any experience with this before. Wondering if you guys could help...

Thanks

YBJLS4
21-03-2010, 04:44 PM
If the owner wants to use the vehicle’s purchase price to repay the debt, ask them to get a payout figure from the lender. You may need to contact the lender for advice on how best to repay the debt.

Once you have an arrangement with the owner to repay the debt, ask them for a letter from the lender stating that the debt has been cleared in full. Keep this letter with your REVS certificate as proof. If you decide to buy the vehicle, ask for a receipt.

sumur1au
21-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Usually what happens is when you are ready to buy the car the buyer should repay the loan off before you by it or get the car loan changed to a unsecured personal loan, its illegal for the person to sell you a car with finance owing on it.