PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Vortex 98 fuel?

Euro_Boy
10-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey.

I filled up with Vortex 98 a few days ago in my euro. I was dissapointed. The standard Vortex seemed to 'fire up' more. The euro just felt gutless. I'm going to give it a 2nd chance in a few weeks.

From what I understand, not all Caltex stations have it yet.

Anyones thoughts?

Limbo
12-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I always though the Vortex was only was 95 rating..... unless this is a new batch but i haven't come across it yet.. where bouts did you find it?

pocketrocket
12-12-2004, 08:15 PM
hmmm...i've seen vortex 98 on one caltex so far on the humehwy...i use caltex vortex 95 after unleaded and noticed the car didn't start up for a while.
can't tell the difference. :(

redliner
12-12-2004, 10:06 PM
hmmm...i've seen vortex 98 on one caltex so far on the humehwy...i use caltex vortex 95 after unleaded and noticed the car didn't start up for a while.
can't tell the difference. :(
Where about is it on the hume? Wanna try it out...
I use vortex and its alrite.. runs smooth but no power, lets see how 98 goes

pocketrocket
12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
its across the road from the BP station going to Crossroads - Casula.
The sign says Vortex 98 orange on white background.

bizee_1
13-12-2004, 04:18 AM
funny this thread.
just last week i was running low on gas, decided to fill up with Caltex 95 but only a few litres. When i went to go pay, i asked what RON it was, before asking when they would get 98ron. and they had changed over to the new Vortex 98 for a few months now. So i go and fill that tank up along with my 4 cents off docket !!

Anyhow....for my particular vehicle, driving style etc.... Vortex Gold 98 is the most efficient out of Ultimate, Synergy 8000 & Optimax thus far. (apparently BP have a `new & improved` ultimate)

Between the 4, power differences that "i can feel" are marginal. Although my ECU was tuned with Synergy 8000.

This is Caltex on Windsor road next to Repco.

please disregard the above.

after topping up the fuel.....i once again asked the operator as to the RON rating they had. As i started to notice it was Vortex Black, not Gold as some have made known. (also since i checked out the Caltex website for Vortex Gold outlets) Anyhow, the operator who was different to the previous bloke and whom i have spoken to before, says they have 96.1RON on the vortex.... soo..... i take it consumption is a little better due to.... well i don't know.

400kwgtr
13-12-2004, 04:26 AM
i think bp ultimate is better.

FANATK
13-12-2004, 12:29 PM
thumbs up to vortex 98

FrankieVTi
13-12-2004, 12:44 PM
For sure vortex 98 is the bomb!!! Makes my car run mad :D

Limbo
13-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm gonna have to give it a try next time i run down to Casula.
Will fill you guys in on the details

Rt!
13-12-2004, 04:33 PM
got ultimate for $1.029 today
cheering

redliner
14-12-2004, 01:23 PM
freak that fuel prices dropping like crazy
i better bring myself a few fuel container :)
91 cents for unleaded.. $1.01 for premium

Matty.V
15-12-2004, 12:25 PM
i had been told there is no real point running vortex n premium pettys unless you andvance ta timing?

Sp3rMz
15-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Sounds like I must give this vortex a test trial. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12837 following link was a massive discussion on which petrol is better for your car.

Limbo
25-12-2004, 10:25 PM
tried it. not much difference from the BP, but it was cheaper....

Still think the Shell pulls harder even if i get abit more black bits around....

dc2r
02-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Depends on car I think... For my car:

- Shell Optimax runs worst
- Ultimate gives my car extra pull over Optimax
- Synergy 8000 is just as good as Ultimate, but not as efficient
- Vortex (95-96 RON) is better than Optimax (which is 98 RON)
- Vortex 98 RON I would expect to be on par with Ultimate, although I have not yet tried it

Limbo
02-01-2005, 06:31 PM
All 98 RON petrol is better than normal Matty, give it a try. Once you try you won't go back. Ever since i introduced Optimax to my GF she uses it all the time! and she only has a CSI Corolla!

STOCK
02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
All 98 RON petrol is better than normal Matty, give it a try. Once you try you won't go back. Ever since i introduced Optimax to my GF she uses it all the time! and she only has a CSI Corolla!
well i have to say that yoru GFs pouring away money :D :D :D

McChook
03-01-2005, 02:22 AM
well i have to say that yoru GFs pouring away money :D :D :DWhy??

C'mon Einstein, explain it, because you are a cluless halfwit.

All 98RON fuels are cleaner than the rest - so, environmentally, there's less shit in the air for starters. It contains more Oxygen, which as I would think you knew, creates more fire, thus a bigger bang in your combustion engine, which, no matter the car, equates to more horsepower... Which means you use less throttle (therefore, less air is consumed, and less petrol is used) when you accellerate at the same level

JDM Element
03-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Lol ease up now fella's :)

I filled up on vortex today!! just regular vortex tho, feels pretty good, at least as good as optimax!! And it was only 91 c per litre coz i had a docket :D

Buying premium isnt a waste of money, because:
1. You will get further k's per tank eg. i got 70 k's further on bp ultimate compared to regular unleaded! thats around 5L or so....
2. Reduce pinging!!
3. Increase throttle response and overall smoothness of the driving!
4. BP Ultimate is good for mother nature :D

STOCK
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Why??

C'mon Einstein, explain it, because you are a cluless halfwit.

All 98RON fuels are cleaner than the rest - so, environmentally, there's less shit in the air for starters. It contains more Oxygen, which as I would think you knew, creates more fire, thus a bigger bang in your combustion engine, which, no matter the car, equates to more horsepower... Which means you use less throttle (therefore, less air is consumed, and less petrol is used) when you accellerate at the same level
1. im sure she aint filling it up for a cleaner environment :confused:
2. fuel doesnt contain oxygen :p
3. nice try :thumbsup:

Limbo
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
The reason that she is filling in the 98 ron fuel is that first it make for better acceleration and second it does actually give better milage. If your too dumb to notice the difference then you just keep pouring the normal unleaded stuff.

Oh on more thing... Mc Chook was not excatly correct but the theory is there.

All fuels contain hydrocarbons (CxHy).

The general equation for the combustion of a hydrocarbon is;

CxHy + O2 = CO2 + H2O + energy

Thus the greater the octane the great amounts of hydrocarbons, which allow for more oxygen to be burnt and thus increasing the energy produced. And so you will always produce more energy/power from a higher octane fuel

ECU-MAN
03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
well i have to say that yoru GFs pouring away money :D :D :D
my lawn mower even runs better with 98ron fuel

ProECU
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Thats because its a HONDA :)

STOCK
04-01-2005, 05:47 PM
If you can feel a acceleration difference and better fuel economy through the "butt" dyno, not to mention the corolla csi engine management optimising itself to suit 98ron that goes for the lawnmower as well, then 98octane might be just what you need :thumbsup:

I can see 98octane helping on the hondas that require premium as standard like the VTiR civic/integra and the type Rs as such... but on a car thats factory tuned for regular unleaded? Unless youve got serious mods your just wasting your money IMO.

Sorry if ive upset some of you guys esp the ones that have had more posts but i was just trying to help Limbo's girl who was filling up 98 ron vortex in a car im sure does not need to run efficiently.

zigengt
30-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone know if vortex 98 is already available in Melb?

Ozwolfbane
30-01-2005, 05:19 PM
my new upcoming JDM H22a would definately like the 98 goodness...currently use 96 Vortex and is better than 98 Shell :)

qup70c
31-01-2005, 09:46 PM
i've tried all the major 98 ron fuels..
my opinion:
vortex 98: used quite often good clean fuel.. but doesnt have as much grunt as bp ultimate
synergy 8000: used it once i liked it.. but havent used it on a daily basis to notice it's main effects
bp ultimate:all round good fuel... the main fuel i use daily..
optimax: used to use it a lot.. gives lots good response.. but makes engine feel "raspy" ..not as smooth and it is a bit like what everyone says about it being on steroids..

my 2c worth
crxzzR

P.S. one of my mates that works with me @ our garage says he's seen a petrol station in lakemba which has 102 RON fuel.. it's legitimacy is yet to be confirmed..
lol

pocketrocket
09-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Just thought I let you guys and girls know, I recently went to fill up my car at the local Caltex servo down at Bonnyrigg near the basketball courts and found out that they had installed Vortex 98 pumps. In addition these pumps like many other 98 pumps around are out of stock. cheers. :)

dirlok
18-02-2005, 09:30 AM
If you can feel a acceleration difference and better fuel economy through the "butt" dyno, not to mention the corolla csi engine management optimising itself to suit 98ron that goes for the lawnmower as well, then 98octane might be just what you need :thumbsup:

I can see 98octane helping on the hondas that require premium as standard like the VTiR civic/integra and the type Rs as such... but on a car thats factory tuned for regular unleaded? Unless youve got serious mods your just wasting your money IMO.

Sorry if ive upset some of you guys esp the ones that have had more posts but i was just trying to help Limbo's girl who was filling up 98 ron vortex in a car im sure does not need to run efficiently.

to some people the feeling of 'cleaner fuel' and 'longer engine life' makes them feel good, so to them its not a waste of money. I've always used the premium fuels, and have noticed an increase in distance per tank. I agree some cars require it, but running it on all cars helps that car in some way. just my 2c :)

McChook
18-02-2005, 10:11 AM
I hd some Vortex 98 in my car for the drags on wednesday... won't be using again

dirlok
18-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I hd some Vortex 98 in my car for the drags on wednesday... won't be using again

why is that ? what fuel do you prefer to run ?

[[d a n n y]]
18-02-2005, 11:36 AM
ok this is my 2C

i've had VORTEX ,ULMIATE, OPTIMAX , Synergy 8000
out of the 4 i'll rate
:thumbdwn: for the BP ultimate fuel
gave me shitall performance laggy rough engine, and the bov's sounded very blocked up.
Synergy is probly the best for performance wise for my car
very smooth combustion as for the Fuel consumptoin....
wasnt too bad.
but i'd say Shell Optimax is the best all rounder and closely followed by the Vortex
i had big diff in the KM/s per tank using shell
engine was smooth (not as smooth as Mobile 1)
Vortex 98 great fuel.i dunno sum times i get mixed readings from it
so i guess i still need to try it out more

McChook
23-02-2005, 07:29 AM
why is that ? what fuel do you prefer to run ?
Usually use Ultimate or Optimax - both are consistantly good in the Prelude

Vortex 98 - felt like Vortex 96.... Unimpressive

And Danny - just goes to show, every car gets a different result...

KofS2s
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
old topic but I would like to know what people think about Vortex 98 nowadays?

aaronng
12-05-2009, 10:31 PM
old topic but I would like to know what people think about Vortex 98 nowadays?

Same as before. Use it, prefer it over Shell Vpower, but I would still use Vpower if there was no Vortex98 around.

fitvpower
13-05-2009, 01:38 AM
for me mobil 8000 was rough and bad response. So far v power is very smooth and lasts longer than mobil 8000
havent tried vortex yet...

aaronng
13-05-2009, 08:44 AM
for me mobil 8000 was rough and bad response. So far v power is very smooth and lasts longer than mobil 8000
havent tried vortex yet...

Did you try a different mobil petrol station as well? Might have been a dodgy one that mixed cheap fuel into 8000.

4age8u
13-05-2009, 09:46 AM

i always put 98 on my twin carb civic..today i put 95 men you can feel the difference big time 98 is..smoother..better responce...

antO
21-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Caltex;vortex 98 @ miller is thee SHIT!
7 Eleven in medows rd, near mt pitchard is CRAP.. Never go there..

<sloth>
21-05-2009, 06:37 PM
i only ever use bp ultimate or vortex 98.
can definately tell the difference between the above two and any 95RON.
ive been told never to use shell petrol due to its chemical additives ruining 'older'(150k+) engines.

my 2c.

jks24
27-05-2009, 12:24 PM
i run vortex 95 in my civic but its just single cam d16y4. I think this is good for my car which wasnt built for high performance.