PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement, gearbox removal??

YLDCRD
22-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi guys im going to change the clutch soon. Is the gearbox removed when clutch is replaced. the reason i ask is because ive developed a loud input shaft bearing noise. So i might aswell change all the bearings inside the box whilst the clutch is removed.

What and how many bearings are inside the box that should be changed??

Zilli
22-03-2010, 05:50 PM
im all for preventative maintanence, but this might be a lot more work and expense than you may need to go too... is there something wrong with your bearings?

shadou
22-03-2010, 05:55 PM
er for all that easy 1k

YLDCRD
22-03-2010, 10:51 PM
er for all that easy 1k

Well this clutch needs to be replaced anyway so i was just wondering if gearbox is removed, may aswell replace bearings right?

So by going 1k... 800 to replace oem clutch and 200 for bearings

btw er my question was does it get removed not how much. errrr

geeang
23-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Pretty obvious that you have to remove the gearbox in order to get access to the clutch.

shadou
23-03-2010, 08:48 AM
lol clutch replacement alone will net you a rough $300-$600 depending if you have the parts on hand or not, what will kill you is the gearbox dismantle to replace the bearing/s.
oh I have misread the question due to the nature of it's er complexities, terribly sorry.
And more than likely you'll just have a busted ISB get the mechanic to have a quick hear and he will be able to tell you 100% if it's a rooted ISB or not.

YLDCRD
23-03-2010, 09:37 AM
lol clutch replacement alone will net you a rough $300-$600 depending if you have the parts on hand or not, what will kill you is the gearbox dismantle to replace the bearing/s.
oh I have misread the question due to the nature of it's er complexities, terribly sorry.
And more than likely you'll just have a busted ISB get the mechanic to have a quick hear and he will be able to tell you 100% if it's a rooted ISB or not.

Well the isb isnt that loud atm. But it is noticable. only because i know its the ISB. But eventually its just going to get louder. So i thought i may aswell get that bearing or all replaced, whilst its out. Just makes more sense to do it now. So once gearbox is removed it must be dismantled for bearings to be replaced?

Ok now i have a cost question. how much to replace just the ISB alone? I remember mod project quoting me $350, that was on my eg vti back in 07.

shadou
23-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Differing places charge differently, get quotes. If you're looking at all bearing replace that can be considered a rebuild costing anywhere from 1k onwards, buy a 2nd hand box will most likely be cheaper

wynode
23-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Differing places charge differently, get quotes. If you're looking at all bearing replace that can be considered a rebuild costing anywhere from 1k onwards, buy a 2nd hand box will most likely be cheaper

But there's no saying what condition that second hand box is in. Doesn't sound like there is anything majorly wrong with the OPs box.

Well the isb isnt that loud atm. But it is noticable. only because i know its the ISB. But eventually its just going to get louder. So i thought i may aswell get that bearing or all replaced, whilst its out. Just makes more sense to do it now. So once gearbox is removed it must be dismantled for bearings to be replaced?

Ok now i have a cost question. how much to replace just the ISB alone? I remember mod project quoting me $350, that was on my eg vti back in 07.

Have a look here to see what is involved:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12789&highlight=isb

Call around some shops to find out the charges. We can only speculate and a shop is not going to charge you less just because someone on Ozhonda said it is a certain price.

If you're getting your box out anyway (and have some noise from your ISB) then get the ISB and counter shaft bearings changed. No need to get too carried away changing everything unless there is something obvious wrong.

YLDCRD
23-03-2010, 08:44 PM
But there's no saying what condition that second hand box is in. Doesn't sound like there is anything majorly wrong with the OPs box.

Have a look here to see what is involved:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12789&highlight=isb

Call around some shops to find out the charges. We can only speculate and a shop is not going to charge you less just because someone on Ozhonda said it is a certain price.

If you're getting your box out anyway (and have some noise from your ISB) then get the ISB and counter shaft bearings changed. No need to get too carried away changing everything unless there is something obvious wrong.

Exactly the answer i needed. As i said gearbox is still perfect. Its just the ISB is noticable. So i should just change the ISB and counter shaft bearings? how much extra would this cost (as an estimate) whilst the gearbox is out anyway for the clutch.

wynode
24-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Best to ask the person/shop doing the work regarding cost.

Once the gearbox is out (presuming the person knows what they are doing) it would only take say 1-1.5 hours to crack the box open and replace the two (2) bearings. The countershaft bearing is a needle type bearing.

Then add on cost of parts and you're done.

YLDCRD
24-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Best to ask the person/shop doing the work regarding cost.

Once the gearbox is out (presuming the person knows what they are doing) it would only take say 1-1.5 hours to crack the box open and replace the two (2) bearings. The countershaft bearing is a needle type bearing.

Then add on cost of parts and you're done.

I spoke to my mechanic he said to dismantle geabox put back bearings and put back in would take 4-5 hours. So im guessing thats the cost of labour. jsut for the box. He said all up should cost between 600-800. (including cllutch)