PDA

View Full Version : GPS in 2009 / 2010 Honda Odyssey

SIR911s
23-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi all,

By way of quick intro, first post , Shane (married 3 kids) just purchased first Honda which is a 2009/10 Odyssey Standard (years of Toyota's). very iompressed with the product so far (3 weeks).

A few questions ....

We came from a 2008 Toyota Camry Grande that had an integrated GPS / Blutooth system and frankly my wife is missing this as it was a very user friendly system.

Does any one know if Honda have plans for a GPS intergrated system for the Odyssey standard??

Is there any aftermarket systems that would fit in the space in the standard Odyssey??? I have had a look at this one and it looks ok..
http://www.chinacargps.com/honda-crv-2005-2006-gps62-inch-digital-touchscreenbuiltin-bluetoothrdsipod-control-p-628.html?cPath=100

and even though it is a 2006 unit it looks like (depending on the dimensions) it would be a easy fit into the Odyssey... any comments??

Also roof racks , looking at the honda ones but I'm unsure of the cost, are there any alternatives that are just as good/

ta

Shane

evolution
23-03-2010, 11:42 PM
No news heard about a factory GPS unit and I highly doubt they are going to install a factory unit in, keeping cost down.

Any 2 DIN aftermarket unit will fit, infact I think a 1 DIN if you can find the frame

Roof racks... try reading this
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128965&highlight=roof+rack

AusAccord
24-03-2010, 04:54 PM
as Evo suggest, get a 2 din unit with GPS is the best way then replace the stupid/ugly stereo from Honda Australia on RB3.

SIR911s
24-03-2010, 06:58 PM
cheers Evolution and Aus Accord.... I'm a real non techo... so if you guys have a moment - no rush I'll need some other help

1/ Is the unit I placed in the post a 2 DIN unit ?

2/ Would it be OK, given I just really want GPS (and is the GPS in this unit easy to use) and AM FM radio with a CD player...

3/ - Is this something I could install?? if not who would do this type of thing in Sydney.

cheers

Shane

SIR911s
24-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Also guys are there any pictures or examples or websites of aftermaket GPS / Radio / CD etc units installed into Odysseys

ej20i
26-03-2010, 12:16 PM
u can get any double din unit and fit in the space u got
its ranging between 2K to about 3K fitted

JazzMi
28-03-2010, 12:18 AM
SIR911s, try this thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126799

SIR911s
28-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Cheers Jazz, I sent you a PM along with aka_NSX,

There was a unit half way down in that post that looks like exactly what I want. If you get a chance have a look at my PM

Shane

thanks again

JazzMi
29-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi SIR911s, the other one is from HITV, see link below (can also get from Alberts hifi)

http://www.hitv.com.au/products/view.jsp?id=45&category=5

SIR911s
31-03-2010, 09:07 AM
cheers JazzMI, it seems that when you ring the installers they like the HiTV but would recommend a Pioneer everytime....

I'm new to this it seems there is a big difference in quality, alot of the 4 x 4 forums that have used the eclipse of Ebay units like themn at first then they fail or play up....

I guess it is what you pay for in the end...

Do you have any recommendations

Shane

evolution
31-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Just my cheapo 2 cents, get a 2 DIN that does everything else and a stand alone GPS... much cheaper and more versatile. Usually 2 DIN multimedia units with GPS cost $700-$1000 more than ones without. Is the GPS function worth that much more than a basic $200 GPS that you can remove from the car and use else where?

SIR911s
01-04-2010, 06:32 AM
cheers Evolution, fair point...... I'm heading down that way until the 2 DIN GPS / DVD Pioneer units come down in price....

JazzMi
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I wanted a gps that was bigger and most removable ones are about 4", so that's why I went for the Eclipse 726AE. It's a bit more than the HITV but more user friendly but the HITV is more like a computer, using Windows as the operating systems.

You need to look at the menus and functions yourself to see if it's easy enough to navigate when you are in the car. You don't want to fiddle around trying to find a function when you're driving...

good luck !

Hedlander
24-03-2011, 01:45 AM
I wanted a gps that was bigger and most removable ones are about 4", so that's why I went for the Eclipse 726AE. It's a bit more than the HITV but more user friendly but the HITV is more like a computer, using Windows as the operating systems.

You need to look at the menus and functions yourself to see if it's easy enough to navigate when you are in the car. You don't want to fiddle around trying to find a function when you're driving...

good luck !

Hi JazzMi,
Can you use steering controller with your Eclipse 726AE
Cheers

Philip Lee
24-03-2011, 11:21 AM
just signed for a RB3.

was told by the dealer that they will be a nav/rear cam/BT pack with MY11 for an extra $1,500 but they can't order those cars yet. apparently Honda Aus wants all MY10 shifted first.

not sure how accruate this is tho....

aka_NSX
27-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Hi JazzMi,
Can you use steering controller with your Eclipse 726AE
Cheers

Yes you can, $220 for the steering wheels module

just signed for a RB3.

was told by the dealer that they will be a nav/rear cam/BT pack with MY11 for an extra $1,500 but they can't order those cars yet. apparently Honda Aus wants all MY10 shifted first.

not sure how accruate this is tho....

I dont think is the original one, I think its either of the aftermarket one such as Kenwood, Pioneer etc becoz my friend last time in Kenwood try to talk to Honda AU for this matter, but Im not 100% sure

aka_NSX
27-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Shane, if you need anything for your Odyssey just PM, I might be able to get you almost anything, cheers

---laski

Philip Lee
13-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I dont think is the original one, I think its either of the aftermarket one such as Kenwood, Pioneer etc becoz my friend last time in Kenwood try to talk to Honda AU for this matter, but Im not 100% sure

Laski you are right man. news for MY11 ODC is out and they have fitted aftermarket ones.

dmx
22-04-2011, 09:56 PM
i just in the end of installing my 5" GPS in compartment box with motorized system, but i need to swap the actuator for shorter ones. still waiting back from robotic center in Canada.similiar like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plLU0GdiaYw

evolution
23-04-2011, 12:29 AM
That would be something worth seeing. Post a video .

dmx
23-05-2011, 07:16 PM
still prototype - may be another week to hook up all the wires to car system, internet and rear cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ZSTA5SvzU

evolution
23-05-2011, 08:10 PM
That is some cool stuff mate :thumbsup:

You have done what I have only dreamt off and given up 4 yrs ago

AusAccord
24-05-2011, 08:07 AM
very good effort indeed!! but will that be better with at least 7" GPS screen?!? was dream of same design as well but very limited space can work on then given up as well

dmx
27-05-2011, 09:16 PM
final project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfwPIh9hiTU
screen features : 3G internet, 5 GPS software, MS office, PDF/Flash,Multimedia,bluetooth,analog-digital Speedo,rear camera,etc runs on Win CE

evolution
27-05-2011, 09:46 PM
:thumbsup:Well done mate:thumbsup:

So you are using a GPS as a screen for a carputer? what's the specs and where have you installed the CPU? What are using to control the carputer?

I also built a carputer to put into the car, but couldn't figure out how to mount the screen, so I gave up in the end and sold all the kit off for cheap.

dmx
28-05-2011, 03:57 PM
well..not quite.let me hijack this thread first, my apologized for this OOT.
carputer = computer inside car. we (me&friends) thought it's too big and messy for odc to put pc box in. so we found other idea to use newest tech such as iPad/tablet. but the screen also the problem(too big, 7-10") and we saw someone in HK selling gps with build in music/video player. so we grab this idea, get gps screen,formatted and re-install with winCE plus any other software. initially, we like to install Android OS, but got the problem with GPS software (only compactible with microsoft products - well, seems like we hardly escape from microsoft domination :-(
it's not as powerful as carputer(which you might use for controlling your aircon,CD player or lights), but judge by the functionallity (internet-GPS-pdf-office-BT-etc) seems like much better than using iPad/tablet, even only runs on 735MB processor, 128MB memory and 12GB storage :-p

AusAccord
28-05-2011, 08:13 PM
2 thumbs up!!!

Atjo
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
So all the control based on touch screen? Which GPS that you use? Is there a way to minimise the motorised sound?

dmx
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
So all the control based on touch screen? Which GPS that you use? Is there a way to minimise the motorised sound?
yes -

which GPS ? currently i installed TomTom,Navman,Garmin and 2 more of un-famous software, still lookin' for Mio software, but basicly all we need is open source software -

Noise ? yes, this the only problem i'm facing right now, i've already bought robotic/mini linear actuator instead of normal actuator in 50-100mm length (1.5cm body frame vs 3cm, 110lbs force vs 500lbs),but the noise still little bit loud, i should wrap with sound deadening before :-(