PDA

View Full Version : For those with Honda Civics (Mechanical Enquiry)

Johnmiceter
10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to post it, but couldn't really see another forum for this topic.

Does anyone understand this if I say this. "Left and Right lower arm front Bush split"

I recently had a Racq inspection and this was the worse thing they found with my car I am thinking about getting.

I rang up Honda and got a price on this and they Quoted $300-$400. And I spoke to the guy I was buying the car from and he thinnks it only costs $20 for the Bust or Rubber he calls it, and it's easy to do yourself.

And because I know jack crap about cars really, only know how to change the oil really, because I don't trust myslef.

So I was wondering has anyone had to fix this up on thier Civic before. If so how much does this cost to fix ? Just trying to get a unbiased price. Because I know Honda is probably the most exspensive and I'm not sure if this guy is telling the truth or not.

So any opinions are welcome :wave:

EK_coupe
10-12-2004, 10:18 PM
i recently got both of my rear bushes replaced, as they were split/crack. It costed me $340.

ECU-MAN
10-12-2004, 11:42 PM
if your talking about the bushes on the rear trailing arms then EK Coupe's price is what you would be looking at spending.

if its the front arms it will still cost you, I dont see it being a $20 fix.
can you take a photo of the bush in question ?

Weq
10-12-2004, 11:44 PM
a bushing is a little peice of rubber. HTF can it cost that much to fix???

MoonSha
10-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Maybe they have to remove the whole axle like C/V boots? so the cost is all labour.

bennjamin
10-12-2004, 11:55 PM
a bushing is a little peice of rubber. HTF can it cost that much to fix??? umm labour ?

Rear trailing arm bushes....$70-90 EACH ....about $300-$350 including installation :(

Hence why i am installing myself

edw-R
11-12-2004, 12:06 AM
I think you need to remove the cv. It costs you $180 each side.

Johnmiceter
11-12-2004, 12:44 AM
No I can't take a photo of it Ecu man, becuase I don't have the car yet. I am probably going to buy this Honda Civic 95 VTI Hatch, becuase after the Racq Master inspection (supposed to be really thourough) the major thing that was wrong with it was this.

And also the other things they mentioned was "A lower left fog light Inoperative " , "steering rack boot breather split on right side" , Sunroof slugish in operation" (I remember this made a funny noise when I first tried it and the guy said it jsut needed oil, I'm hoping the motor isn't going to die because it sounds sick to me. RACQ guy didn't know for sure) "needs wheel Alignment" and just the wipers needed changing"

But that's all they picked out of it. So I thought the other ones don't sound to bad just the Left and Right lower control arm front bush split. It just didn't sound like $20 to fix it to me, sounds pretty serious. And the main reason I rang Honda was becuase I didn't think other Mechanics would know without bringing the car in, and thought Honda would.

aimre
11-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Show the owner the inspection, grab quotes, negotiate a cheaper price for the car

wynode
11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Show the owner the inspection, grab quotes, negotiate a cheaper price for the car
Ditto!

Biggest cost with bushes is the labour.

SiR JDM
11-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Perfect! Or even better ask him to fix it before you buy it.. save you the time and hassle as well =]

jords
11-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Perfect! Or even better ask him to fix it before you buy it.. save you the time and hassle as well =]well said, thats what I would do.

Johnmiceter
11-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Well I know that's what I would normally do, but the guy has cropped the price for me $1800 off the original price, plus put in a brand new windscreen.

I was thinking if it doesn't cost so much to fix I could just do it myself. Because I really want one of these VTI Civic hatches, and there just arn't any others available in QLD atm :(

And I need a car now. And the car seems to be in really good condition besides this one thing really. And it's the right colour, it's a manual, it doesn't have very high K's on it and it's right on my budget.

So even if it does cost $300, I could live with this, but I knew it wouldn't be $20 like he said. Anyway, been stuffing around with this car for 2 weeks now, so if I don't get it now, might not get another one like it.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys :)

edw-R
11-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Try to ask him to fix it. If not, you may ask him to pay half. Good luck!!

mytoycivic
11-12-2004, 07:09 PM
yeh good luck...
how much is the guy asking? if you dont mind me asking!

Johnmiceter
11-12-2004, 08:13 PM
$11,000 now, but that's with no rego, but it does have a road worthy.

It was originally going to be $12,800 with rego.

But been looking for ages for one of these VTI hatches for around the $11,000 mark up in Qld, and they seem to be very rare. There are alot of VTI sedans though :(

civiceg9
11-12-2004, 08:36 PM
just say $11,300 with rego and RW
should sell the car to you then

mytoycivic
12-12-2004, 07:58 AM
i agree...offer him a tiny bit more as long as he does all the rego and rw work;) goood luck dude :D