PDA

View Full Version : Calibre Xenon Blue on DC5R Review

Zinyo
24-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi guys,

One of my headlights blew about a week ago...After this incident, I thought about buying HID's and researched them to death; Phillip Halogens, PnP HID's, etc...but i decided to go for what i thought to be the best value for money/cheap option (Decided to spend the money to buy my beloved expensive new watch instead =]...money better spent than buying "light" just for "looks")

So after much research I bought and installed a pair of Calibre Xenon Blue bulbs i bought from Supercheap Auto (Dismissing the "crap calibre supercheap auto home brand" image stereotype, these bulbs were actually tested/reviewed by a local australia magazine and got pretty good feedback)

It only costed me $25 so its definately value for money and this would be a good quick and cheap way for those who only wants to change their stock yellow to a much brighter and white light at night. In short;
- It is much brighter than stock
- It gives a neutral white light not blue..
- It's not as blue as phillips blue vision bulbs which is almost three times the price.
- I CAN SEE IN THE RAIN!

So there you go, if your only looking to replace your stock bulbs, these bulbs are pretty damn good for its price.

WATAJK
24-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Can you do me a favour?? Take some photos with your parkers then headlights on please?
Would love to see how these look. Cheers

androo
24-03-2010, 05:38 PM
+1!!!!

NightKids
25-03-2010, 02:58 PM
You bought a watch?!? For the money you could have bought an upgraded wiring harness plus some Osram 80W (off road use) which will demolish everything but HID.

haha just kiddin', the watch is a better investment...

androo
25-03-2010, 04:35 PM
My friend fitted Calibre bulbs to his Corolla and we were so disappointed... They weren't white at all. When we installed only one side and turned them on, the difference was so tiny it wasn't worth the money...

I'm not 100% sure if it is the same one you used. They were H1 bulbs though advertised as 'Xenon Blue'. How dark is the tint on your bulbs? His were only a very slight blue...

Anyway, I'm glad yours went well! He ended up returning his.

Pics dude!!!

dness
26-03-2010, 01:23 PM
post up some pics dude :D

pinoy-boi
26-03-2010, 02:55 PM
i gt HID's bt pix wuld be nice so i can let sme friends kno(who aren't OH members)

VTi_b0i
26-03-2010, 03:08 PM
i wana see pics! i had to buy a head light globe last weekend, went to supercheap not knowing that Calibre was all they sold. So i had to buy them. was tossing up between the blue ones and "white" ones, so i got the white ones, which look yellow :S ugly. I miss my angel eyes cause the projector lights were awsome at night, now went back to standard for a cleaner look and dissapointed with standard lights haha

Zinyo
26-03-2010, 04:28 PM
guys...bear with me and i will get some photos up sometime this w/e or early next week...been busy with uni this week.

@ Androo - TBH i didnt notice much difference at all at first when i was looking at it first but once i tried it in the dark there was a major difference to stock yellow lights on my 5R and other people have said the same thing after i got it installed...what i did was installing it in a garage....once u've done one side...close ur garage so its pretty much dark and see the diff b/w right and left. There is definately a diff! I can also see in the rain and it was fogging on wednesday night (Past midnight) and i can see everything clearly with these bulbs.

jj17
27-03-2010, 12:12 AM
good on you for choosing the proper way to do it, rather than getting HIDs installed into a reflector housing and blinding everyone else on the road. Im using phillips crystal vision 4300k. good white lights, strong and clear and the best part is it came with a pair of parkers too. If you guys are after something more blue, phillips also have the diamond vision 5000k bulbs.

VTi_b0i
27-03-2010, 08:37 AM
where do u get the philips from? autobarn?

r3ckless
27-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I got HID's in stock housings.. i never ever get flashes....

androo
27-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm glad they went well for you!!! On my old Civic I had those really bad blue tinted bulbs that turn the light white. Yep... Horrible in the rain hahaha

Good luck with yours! Can't wait for the pics!

Who here actually flashes people that have really bright head lights? I know I rarely do because no one really understands why. When I see a flash, I just think 'wtf do you want'. It could be three cars down from me that has really bright lights.

I only do it when they're blinding, and there's not many cars on the road around them.

How about you guys?

jj17
27-03-2010, 02:39 PM
where do u get the philips from? autobarn?

I got mind from auto pro but id imagine u can find them at alot of other places. They are pricey compare to others like calibre but phillips are of alot better quality and would last longer. Had a set of calibre once for 3 days and the bulb blew on me, They arent also as bright as the phillips bulb.

I got HID's in stock housings.. i never ever get flashes....

Yup, id imagine you placed it pointing to the floor, it works to stop blinding ppl on the road but your lights still arent focused and you dont get a good cut off point. If you compare it by putting it side by side to a HID kit in a projector housing u can clearly see the difference.

Anyways, as long as you are not blinding people then thats fine because HIDs make the car look so much better :cool:

najdi
27-03-2010, 11:33 PM
hmm i dont no about this mate..i use to work for supercheap and tried them and found no difference plus i found my HID for $50 bux and can see day/night/rain/hail or shine if u get what i mean l0l...but for what they are hey r ok