PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning head-light bulbs

SiR
10-12-2004, 11:19 PM
This isn't Civic specific, so if mods feel this belongs elsewhere, pls. move.

Anyway, I accidentally touched my head-light bulbs while doing a bulb swap and need to know what I need to wipe them with? Something like denatured alcohol, right?

Where can I buy the cleaning solution and roughly how much does it cost?

Many thanks. :)

ECU-MAN
10-12-2004, 11:29 PM
cleaning wont save it unfortuantly, just use it till it blows

KB
10-12-2004, 11:31 PM
I read somewhere that a gental wipe with a tissue and some metho or turps does the trick?

ECU-MAN
10-12-2004, 11:33 PM
still shortens bulb life

edw-R
11-12-2004, 12:08 AM
use clean cotton or tissue. No worry!!

PhatSol
11-12-2004, 01:26 AM
still shortens bulb life
How?

Sp3rMz
11-12-2004, 05:22 AM
once its touched you cant go back.

toE
11-12-2004, 06:07 AM
The glass used for headlight bulbs are thin and thorugh R&D, have specific temperatures to withstand the heat produced from the light.

So, any grease/oil from fingers that gets placed on the glass will disrupt it's temperature characteristics.

So once any foreign material stains the glass, the bulb won't blow per-say, but rather the glass can melt, causing the bulb to lose its functionality.

Think I did alright in explaining it. :)

SiR
11-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Bugger! So even if I clean the bulb with denatured alcohol or whatever, it won't help at all?

Mind you, it's been almost 3.5 years since I touched these bulbs, but that wouldn't matter, right?

PhatSol
11-12-2004, 05:20 PM
The glass used for headlight bulbs are thin and thorugh R&D, have specific temperatures to withstand the heat produced from the light.

So, any grease/oil from fingers that gets placed on the glass will disrupt it's temperature characteristics.

So once any foreign material stains the glass, the bulb won't blow per-say, but rather the glass can melt, causing the bulb to lose its functionality.

Think I did alright in explaining it. :)
Yeah but my question is why can't you just clean off the foreign material?

civiceg9
11-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Toe explained pretty good.

Wiping it won't be 100% clean as there will be probably small residual on the bulb which we can't see and using other chemicals could make it worst.

I say just wipe with a clean tissue paper and put it back it.

PhatSol
11-12-2004, 09:02 PM
I don't see why it would have a shortened life after cleaning with alchy. IMO bulb will be good as new. I have cleaned several halogen bulbs with alchy and suffered no ill effects. I have also seen halogen bulbs totaly melted out of shape because somone touched them and didn't clean it off. Mabey they still have a shortened life after cleaning, but I certanly haven't noticed it.

http://www.ushio.com/support_lampsafety.htm
http://www.teklight.com/FAQ_s/faq_s.html

BTW: I don't see how rubbing it with a tissue would get the oil off?

SiR
12-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok, PhatSol, so what kind of alcohol did you use to clean the light bulb?

Thanks.

Limbo
12-12-2004, 07:53 PM
just try some metho that will prob be alright. Your just trying to get rid of oil anyway. If you wipe it well enough with a tissue you should get more of it off.

next time try wearing some rubber gloves that should stop you getting your hand oils on the bulb

PhatSol
12-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Ok, PhatSol, so what kind of alcohol did you use to clean the light bulb?

Thanks.
Just some metho, but i guess if you wanted to get pickey then isopropanol (spelling?) would probably be better.

A'PEXi
13-12-2004, 10:30 AM
you like arguing dont you john hahahha