PDA

View Full Version : Euro aftermarket exhaust - vibration

sodaz
24-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm happy with the sound of my newly installed exhaust and after running it for a few weeks it's completely free of drone. :thumbsup:

However, it creates an annoying vibration throughout the cabin between 1900rpm and 2100rpm. The dash and windows rattle slightly every time it crosses that range. :(

Do any of you guys have experience with aftermarket exhaust hangers? I'm thinking that might be the best way to isolate the offending vibrations.

Any thoughts??

racerwannabe
25-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't have experience with after exhaust hangers but given the factory ones are rubber they'd be good at isolating vibrations so not sure if aftermarket ones will be of any help. I've got a cat back system and have not experienced any vibration issues.

xxb4xx
27-03-2010, 08:35 AM
It's called resonation.. I gather you put 2 rediculous cannons on the back? Lol

this is caused by having too large of a flowing muffler on the back (cheap quality and too big), or doing a cat back exhaust with no resonater installed..

The vibration will only get worse as your mufflers wear in and start flowing even more.

If they are just mufflers you have, and not cannons, a slight help will be to change the end tips to be a bit smaller.. But once again.. It will be slight.

I personally don't think the euro is a car for a LOUD exhaust.. But that's just my opinion..

sodaz
29-03-2010, 06:33 PM
It's called resonation.. I gather you put 2 rediculous cannons on the back? Lol

this is caused by having too large of a flowing muffler on the back (cheap quality and too big), or doing a cat back exhaust with no resonater installed..

The vibration will only get worse as your mufflers wear in and start flowing even more.

If they are just mufflers you have, and not cannons, a slight help will be to change the end tips to be a bit smaller.. But once again.. It will be slight.

I personally don't think the euro is a car for a LOUD exhaust.. But that's just my opinion..

Yeah it's the natural harmonics from the intake and exhaust. Even with the stock exhaust it's there, just that it's muffled. The more free flowing the exhaust, the more pronounced this becomes. I've got full headers and a high flow cat so it stands out even more. My exhaust does have a long resonator too by the way.

I'm just thinking maybe some aftermarket hangers will reduce this, but I'm not sure. I've got reasonable sized mufflers at the back, not cannons so it's not that loud. When cruising it's barely noticeable. It's only loud when I floor it which is perfect.

I'm going to take it to the exhaust shop and get them to look at it this week and see if they can come up with a solution. The vibrations are so minimal that I can turn the stereo on at very low volume and you won't even hear it but I want to get rid of it completely.

xxb4xx
29-03-2010, 08:55 PM
if that's the case dude, you pretty much are about to cover all bases.. it's the luck of the draw also on how the different metals all react with sound and vibration,

when I had my V8, i refused to get a stainless steel exhaust fitted, as the old school thick metal (even though it rusts) just sounds so much fuller and deeper..

ps, how does it sound with headers and the gear you have? always wondered how the engine would sound and perform with those specific mods.. although i'd prob put 2 varex mufflers on the back :)

sodaz
29-03-2010, 09:15 PM
It's a bit of trial and error always with car parts. In many ways, you never know what it'll be like until you install it. Like you said, a small difference in material can make a huge difference in sound.

With headers and high flow cat it sounds great. Very deep and a mini race car like growl at WOT. I'm very happy with the sound overall. I think the varex mufflers will sound great too imo.

I'll report back when I figure it all out.

furythree
29-03-2010, 11:12 PM
wats the difference between muffler and cannons

xxb4xx
30-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Cannon's look stupid, Mufflers look stock and your choice of a tip on the end..

they both are mufflers, but the cannon's are what you see on every 200SX, WRX, Skyline.. big shiney pipes which hang out too far and have tips way too big so they all drone and blacken the bumpers with soot.. Cannon's FTL.

chris41
30-03-2010, 01:53 PM
yep, just resonation at that particular rpm range.
the standard system is designed to cancel out that frequency.