PDA

View Full Version : a/c on '94 VTi Civic?

knn
24-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Did any of them come with a/c back then? if not is it possible to install it? there are a few spare switches on the dash, surely one can be used for a/c button..?

cheers:)

ninzee
24-03-2010, 11:34 PM
myns got it

markismaximus
25-03-2010, 10:18 AM
given the VTi was the upper class model it should have it. My 1990 ED has AC and the 1995 Vti I stripped recently had AC. Its also not just a case of installing a switch and you're good to go. Need the compressor, mounting hardware, AC lines, AC condensor and evaporator, fan and compressor relays, wiring and the switch.

dahondr98
25-03-2010, 10:47 AM
given the VTi was the upper class model it should have it. My 1990 ED has AC and the 1995 Vti I stripped recently had AC.

Well, if they are the same as my model, which was a top-of-the-line 98 VTi-R, A/C was an optional extra. I bought mine new, and had to pay extra for A/C to be installed, which was done by the local dealer.

knn
25-03-2010, 04:22 PM
well mine hasn't got it... i know on my pevious cars ther is a button for a/c, which releases the refrigerant into the system, not just blowing cold air... i am aware of what needs to be installed i guess... i was just wondering whether they acctually came with a/c..hmmmm

markismaximus
25-03-2010, 04:36 PM
yes they came with a/c. Are you sure yours doesn't have ac? could just not be working? Is there a compressor bolted to the block?

The a/c button actually engages the clutch on the compressor which then compresses the refrigerant. No refrigerant is "released" when the a/c button is pressed

trism
25-03-2010, 05:13 PM
well mine hasn't got it... i know on my pevious cars ther is a button for a/c, which releases the refrigerant into the system, not just blowing cold air... i am aware of what needs to be installed i guess... i was just wondering whether they acctually came with a/c..hmmmm

lol

learn how the a/c system works before you try to sound smart about it.

knn
25-03-2010, 11:57 PM
haha thanks for the lesson, as a nealry qualified mechanical engineer i should know this stuff huh :), no i didnt bother going into details (or looking at car's a/c system really..), it was a simple "explanation" i guess, but i'm pretty sure there is no a/c, i'll have a snoop around the engine bay tomorow, ,might post a pic

cheers guys

markismaximus
26-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Studying mechanical engineering doesn't necessarily mean you'd know about air conditioning. Or anything automotive for that matter. Unless you are majoring in automotive or have automotive engineering experience. The mechanical engineers I work with have really specific knowledge about niche systems, they don't know how 'everything' works

post a pic, that would be the easiest way

knn
26-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Studying mechanical engineering doesn't necessarily mean you'd know about air conditioning. Or anything automotive for that matter. Unless you are majoring in automotive or have automotive engineering experience. The mechanical engineers I work with have really specific knowledge about niche systems, they don't know how 'everything' works

post a pic, that would be the easiest way

spot on my friend, i did however just switch from automotive degree to mechanical, just about the same degree, but you don't get taught auto a/c stuff unless you pick a subject that deals with that ;)

and no point to a pic, there is deffinitelly no a/c, there is only a single radiator installed, the only other belt there is the power steering one.

now the next question is...would it be so ridiculous to install a/c? anyone done it to an old car? how much..?

cheers

markismaximus
28-03-2010, 11:11 AM
price depends on whether you are doing it or paying someone to do it. Also where you source the parts from. If you are paying someone it will be ridiculously expensive. AC workshops charge around the $1000 mark to replace a compressor, new receiver dryer and re-gas. So to actually install a complete system may be around $3k at a guess. Call up and ask

bennjamin
28-03-2010, 11:17 AM
whats going on ?

All AUDM 91 + hondas had airconditioning , bar some breeze models AFAIK.

Anyway , all 92-95 vtis have air conditioning standard.

markismaximus
28-03-2010, 05:41 PM

that's what I said in my first post. Still waiting on pic...

knn
29-03-2010, 10:19 AM
whats going on ?

All AUDM 91 + hondas had airconditioning , bar some breeze models AFAIK.

nope, mine doesn't, the tight arse that bought it didn't select the option

price depends on whether you are doing it or paying someone to do it. Also where you source the parts from. If you are paying someone it will be ridiculously expensive. AC workshops charge around the $1000 mark to replace a compressor, new receiver dryer and re-gas. So to actually install a complete system may be around $3k at a guess. Call up and ask

that's just not worth it, not planning on spending half the car's worth to install a/c...natural convection it is

knn
29-03-2010, 10:38 AM
pix...
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/269/img0249uo.jpg (http://img716.imageshack.us/i/img0249uo.jpg/)
No evaporator next to radiator
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7374/img0250h.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/img0250h.jpg/)
just plastic sheet there to block air flow (why??!)
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9545/redop.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/redop.jpg/)

knn
30-03-2010, 07:50 PM
that's what I said in my first post. Still waiting on pic...

posted...

dougie_504
30-03-2010, 10:36 PM
A/C on the EG/EH VTi was not standard. It was an optional extra, as was the driver's airbag.

On the other hand, the sunroof was standard lol.

TheSaint
30-03-2010, 10:47 PM
the a/c button is the one above the fan speed no.4

the button you are pointing at is for other stuff like foglights or sunroof

knn
31-03-2010, 09:49 AM
A/C on the EG/EH VTi was not standard. It was an optional extra, as was the driver's airbag.

On the other hand, the sunroof was standard lol.

thank god for the sunroof;)

markismaximus
31-03-2010, 11:25 AM

According to the Civic Model Brochure (still available on honda.com.au), the driver's side airbag was actaully standard on all models. A/C was an extra

Bad timing, the EH I stripped recently had everything you would've needed for an AC conversion and I would've sold it to you cheap. I've chucked most of the lines out, but still have the compressor, compressor mounting bracket, condenser, condenser fan, evaporator and AC control unit

Good luck with the sunroof

dougie_504
31-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Then maybe it depended on the year of production? '92, '93, '94 and '95?