PDA

View Full Version : ED civic gearbox issues

-ollie-
25-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi everybody, im only new here so please dont flame me if this is wrong section or has been covered before. I did do a search, and there was a few related articles, but not quite the same issues as what i have.
The issue is with 1st and reverse gears. More often then not, regardless if the motor is hot or cold, im able to go into and out of reverse without any difficulties, however every so often when the car is running it will not go into gear at all, no matter how hard it is forced. When its like this, reverse gear will just crunch, and the others wont. In order to get it in gear, i have to turn the car off, then it will slip in fine, then i'l turn it on and drive fine.
Once i drive it around for a while it normally goes back to shifting properly into reverse and 1st.
So anyone who has any knowledge or experience with this, can you tell me if it is a sychro issue, bearings, etc?
Im planning on replacing the oil, and i have read on here that it has helped others, so i will try that. Any rcomendations for oil to use?
If this is a sycho issue, does anyone have any experience with getting it fixed, in terms of price?
Any help at all would be much appreciated
/rant.
Ollie

FallenAngel
27-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Seems like your clutch is going/gone.

You say you can get it in gear with the engine off and you cannot sometimes with the engine on. These are the signs of the clutch going.

Replacing the clutch could vary from 200+ also you'd need someone to pull off the gearbox. Bring it to your mechanic and see what he says.

-ollie-
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Seems like your clutch is going/gone.

You say you can get it in gear with the engine off and you cannot sometimes with the engine on. These are the signs of the clutch going.

Replacing the clutch could vary from 200+ also you'd need someone to pull off the gearbox. Bring it to your mechanic and see what he says.

Sorry for the late reply, i need to turn on email subscription, but thanks for the advice. I havent got a chance to have a look under the car before, but is there any inspection plates on the gearbox to be able to easily check the condition of the clutch without having to take off the whole gearbox??

FallenAngel
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry for the late reply, i need to turn on email subscription, but thanks for the advice. I havent got a chance to have a look under the car before, but is there any inspection plates on the gearbox to be able to easily check the condition of the clutch without having to take off the whole gearbox??

Nope the gearbox covers the whole clutch and flywheel. Only way to physically see it is to take the gearbox off. Other than that its basically the guessing game with clues from here and there

-ollie-
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Looks like i might have to start saving some dosh then!!!

~Sp33~
09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable?

-ollie-
12-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Not yet, but next w/e its going to get a proper look at the clutch etc. and the cable will get adjusted if the clutch still has some life left in it.

jdm_b16a
12-04-2010, 01:02 PM
In my experience Honda gearboxes are notorious for not being able to select reverse when stationary. So when you drive, brake, park and then turn the engine off the car will be difficult to get into reverse, typically in a driveway. Even more so in a downhill driveway. The trick is to select neutral, put your foot on the brake, and take the pressure off the clutch by letting the car move forward a little. Then select reverse and away you go.

Peter

FallenAngel
13-04-2010, 10:43 AM
In my experience Honda gearboxes are notorious for not being able to select reverse when stationary. So when you drive, brake, park and then turn the engine off the car will be difficult to get into reverse, typically in a driveway. Even more so in a downhill driveway. The trick is to select neutral, put your foot on the brake, and take the pressure off the clutch by letting the car move forward a little. Then select reverse and away you go.

Peter

I wouldn't do that just in case you move forward too fast you'll crunch the reverse gear hard.

Best way is to put the car into first, put it back into neutral + clutch up, then clutch in and shift to reverse.

jdm_b16a
13-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't do that just in case you move forward too fast you'll crunch the reverse gear hard.

Best way is to put the car into first, put it back into neutral + clutch up, then clutch in and shift to reverse.

By taking pressure off the clutch, I meant to say put the clutch in. Therefore, you will go nowhere except slightly forward as you ease off the brake pedal.

Peter