PDA

View Full Version : CU2 power/auto shift problems

Anhvariel
25-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

I have a CU2 Luxury Auto that I bought pretty much straight after they were released here in Australia (July 08?). Recently (from what I have noticed, since the 30k service) the car has been sluggish to downshift when you're accelerating from low speeds. Pushing the accelerator seems to result in momentary lag, maybe 1-2s before it downshifts. When the car does shift gears it feels a bit jerkier and rougher than usual.

This problem seems to be somewhat intermittent, but if it's apparent, seems to be for the whole of that trip. E.g. i just went out to the shops this evening, noticed it all the way there, but on the return trip there were no issues, gear changes were smooth, power available on demand.

I'm not sure if the issue is related to gear shifting, or lack of power from the engine itself, and because it's intermittent, makes it quite hard to pin down. What's the best course of action here? Should I just take it back to the dealer and ask them to run diagnostics? To be honest the local honda dealer hasn't exactly overwhelmed me with their mechanical expertise when I've had it serviced previously, although I guess 10,20,30k services are pretty much just an oil change.

thanks,
Tim.

SPQR
25-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Are you aware of the engine pinging issue and the supposed cure/fix promulgated by Honda?

Pinging could affect power if the computer is compensating for it; or the cure/fix may have been applied to your car at the last service and it has not worked; or there could be an entirely different reason for what you're experiencing.

Anhvariel
25-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Are you aware of the engine pinging issue and the supposed cure/fix promulgated by Honda?

Pinging could affect power if the computer is compensating for it; or the cure/fix may have been applied to your car at the last service and it has not worked; or there could be an entirely different reason for what you're experiencing.

I have read a few posts regarding the pinging issue. I'm not sure if my vehicle is affected by this problem, but I've noticed what I would term a rattling noise from the engine from time to time, would this be the sort of symptom from the pinging issue?

Anhvariel
26-03-2010, 03:54 PM
contacted Honda dealer today about this issue and they checked vehicle VIN and said it is elidgable (sp?) for knock sensor replacement. No parts in Aust. so 4 week wait period. Person I spoke to in service department suggested that I get the knock sensors done and then they would look into it further if that did not resolve the performance issue i've been experiencing. This sound like a valid way to go with it, or should I push further to have them run tests on the vehicle?

SPQR
27-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Since it's eligible, you should get the ping-fix applied properly; which is more than just a replacement of the knock sensor. It should include reprogramming of the Engine Control Unit as well. In some cases they have to replace the ECU.

After that, see how it goes but read the extensive thread in this forum about the ping problem; particularly the last pages where the fix is discussed.

benly
31-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi all.

Apologies for bring up an old thread. I also notice this in our CU2 Auto MY09, which i believe is 2010 compliant as it has the black parcel shelf and auto windows.

In anycase, I also feel that the car tends to take its time to downshift, especially when at lower speeds. There's just about no power the moment I step on the accelerator, and a second or so later, there'll be a good jerk as it downshifts (once or twice) and I get the the acceleration I wanted.

I'm not aware of any pinging from the engine. I don't hear anything abnormal, though I'm not really sure what I'm listening for.

Does anyone else notice the same thing and would it be a simple ECU update/fix?

furythree
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
yes i get this problem too, and ive had the pinging fixed already

the problem was solved when i got the knairfilter. it performed really well and u cud feel the power all the time. beucase im assuming it was alwyas on lower gears.

lately however its gone back to normal. i suspect that our ecu "learns" and deems the aforementioned behavior to be fuel innefficient (cuase lower gears = higher fuel consumption), im not sure tho.

doesnt matter anyway, i just use the paddleshifters to manualy drive at the gear i want. its more fun