PDA

View Full Version : Universal Muffler

bennet654
26-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey guys!
Im new to all this.... I want to buy a universal muffler, but I am not sure of my cars exhaust piping size. Some say that their muffler suits a 2.25" some say 2.5" some say 3"... I own a 2002 HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5). Can someone inform me of the size on the stock exhaust for my car, so that I can purchase a muffler thats fits properly.

All the best!

hisoka
26-03-2010, 11:34 AM
get the 2.5 inch one and take it to exhaust shop, they will just weld it on.

you could do 3 inch one aswell i guess

bennet654
26-03-2010, 01:11 PM
which one is better for sound to get? the 2.5" or 3"

hisoka
26-03-2010, 06:58 PM
you wont notice the difference, an it matters about piping size and length and material.

if all you got is a muffler, its gonna sound like those corollas that hang at maccas ripping skids with mufflers

illuzi0nz
26-03-2010, 10:55 PM
i was thinking similar things, except i was thinking of getting a universal hks muffler and getting a custom b-pipe. will that still sound shit? lol

45SET
26-03-2010, 11:56 PM
If you are after sound (And not so much performance) go for an off the shelf exhaust made in Japan. The reason they are expensive is because they have had HOURS of time spent in making them, of this time a fair bit would be on the noise the exhuast makes. The noise an exhaust makes can be due to many things
- Material used
- Diameter of pipe
- Length of resonators in the b-pipe
- Style of muffler
- Side of the exhaust tile
The list goes on...

I've heard lots of different exhausts on DC5R's (Personally, The best would have to be the Mugen twin loop). But not only is a universal cannon going to look tacky on your car, it'll most probably sound like a wet fart.

But if you are just after out right power, and you don't really car what it sounds like, get a 3' exhaust from the cat back and put on the what ever muffler you want... just make sure you get the car tuned with the exhaust or it'll drive like shit.

Waggy
28-03-2010, 11:28 PM
^45SET has some good points. But seriously if he's just after noise, the universal mufflers will do the job. Either that or remove a resonator from the stock system and get them to weld in a straight section - at least that way the sound should be retained.

Either that or buy this from JDMConcept:
J's C304 (http://jdmconcept.com.au/index.php?option=com_jdm&p=detail&cid=137)

$600 and you've got yourself, noise + JDM wank + a bit of colour + knowledge that the materials and development are at least a bit above what you're going to buy from your local chop shop.

xntrik
30-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Off-topic but did the J's exhaust ever came in 3" axel back for the DC2R?

bennet654
19-06-2010, 10:11 PM
nah they didnt

Super-DA9
19-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I've had different mufflers and a then a 2.25" cat-back on my old car, and I can confidently tell you there is a difference in the way a muffler makes the car sound as opposed to a whole sport exhaust (or at least the cat-back). Things like cannons and other of the shelf mufflers you can get from autobarn and ebay etc. usually give a sort of farty sound in my opinion and an better exhaust gives a deeper more raw sound, and kind of exposes the real sound your engine makes.

Thats just my opinion anyway. But I guess I've never really tried a good brand of axle-back so who knows?

minircc
19-06-2010, 11:23 PM
agree that cheap universal mufflers usually give the farty sound.. lol

WATAJK
20-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I've got an X-Force Catback Cannon System on my DC5R and to be honest there isn't alot of drone, i personally thinks it sounds really good. Doesn't sound like those cars that sound like ass if you get me...
Pretty good system, paid for stainless steel, got a 5 years gurantee and paid a good price. Very happy
It's not EXCESSIVELY loud either, you don't get alot of attention off anybody until you put your bloody foot down

Thats my opinion

Super-DA9
20-06-2010, 11:13 AM
yeah i've heard good things about XForce :)

Lowiez
20-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I can't imagine it would sound any good at all, if you have a proper appreciation for a deep performance based exhuast note.
It wouldn't touch power gains either, sorry to state the obvious but just in case you're thinking.

WATAJK
21-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I can't imagine it would sound any good at all, if you have a proper appreciation for a deep performance based exhuast note.
It wouldn't touch power gains either, sorry to state the obvious but just in case you're thinking.

im not saying it's GREAT gains as most of your power comes from your headers not your exhaust. As i said, IMO.. i reckon it's good value for money.
I don't think JDM is the only way to go but im not doubting the power of Mugen, Spoon etc at all.
I don't see justification in paying big $$$$ as of yet for something like that... i possibly might change later but the X-Force system is good and there was a difference from the stock system.

Lowiez
21-06-2010, 11:49 AM
im not saying it's GREAT gains as most of your power comes from your headers not your exhaust. As i said, IMO.. i reckon it's good value for money.
I don't think JDM is the only way to go but im not doubting the power of Mugen, Spoon etc at all.
I don't see justification in paying big $$$$ as of yet for something like that... i possibly might change later but the X-Force system is good and there was a difference from the stock system.

Wasn't refering and didn't quote anything about xforce.
Thats a response to the topic of the thread :)

WATAJK
21-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Wasn't refering and didn't quote anything about xforce.
Thats a response to the topic of the thread :)

ooo my apologies man :)
Sorry thought u were commenting about XForce lol
what system u runnin on ur DC5S if u don't mind me asking
i cbf runnin over to clubitr n looking lol :)

Lowiez
21-06-2010, 03:55 PM
No worries. Although xforce hasnt proven to be that good (in DC5) that is, in terms of performance for the track.
This is shown by their header, which is the primary source of the gain in an exhuast system and that loses top end power. This being said low-mid torque probably has some sorta improvement.
Bottom line is, xforce isnt that much cheaper than JDM exhuasts and doesnt to have seemed to do much besides the obvious note change.

Currently custom header/ Fujitsubo Power getter.
Looking to get Toda or JDM yard header

WATAJK
21-06-2010, 04:11 PM
i think it has got gains, feel alot more free flowing, the car feels smoother with it, less restrictive...
I dont know much about the JDM Yard header, haven't heard any results on it so i can't say but i'd say it'd be a decent header but you don't know till you try it
TODA headers are what we are all after lol

Lowiez
21-06-2010, 05:55 PM
JDM yard is a good header and no doubt better than xforce for the same price, very long design and larger collecters than TODA. They are fabricated by Westside mufflers, who are renowned for their work and make custom catback systems that provide just as much or more gains than JDM systems using bigger piping. K20s love their 3". But they arent cheap

The gains you feel are most likely the torque increase bottom end, but like I said im talking about top end use and X-force definately suffers there compared to stock

WATAJK
21-06-2010, 05:56 PM
ahhh might look into the JDMYard header if i don't choose TODA but who knows :)
Cheers man, good info!

Lowiez
21-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Either way, both JDM yard and TODA are top end designs and you 95% sure will not notice the difference on the street.
JDM yard headers goes for $950 new..TODA probably 1.5k, 1k if you're really lucky 2nd hand