PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys just a few quick questions...

brendan1990
26-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Ok first of all sorry i dint read that section, i said i was knew so please dont be so harsh and secondly, the section u mentioned doesnt even answer half the questions i had properly, so ill start again by asking...

i have been looking to buy a new car within the month and have been doing much research over the last few months, basically the car i have been looking at the whole time is the mazda rx8, until recently i started looking at the honda s2k, now the s2k never interested me as compared to the rx8 the interior and exterior of the honda are well.....shit (dont stop reading) and after driving a few rx8's i found them to be very smooth well handled, and very well finished all over (it gets better i promise) i would say the chances of me buying an rx8 would be 8/10 vs the honda 2/10, until i drove my first s2k today and what can i say other than...wow! that car kicks ass once it hits about 6500 rpm and the vetec gets goin the thing flies and now it has really peeked my interest and the performance of the rx8 seems a bit dull in comparison.
so having said that i have some questions...
-does anyone know roughly how much for a hardtop to be fitted to an s2k?
-what an earth is the rattling coming from inside the s2k when de-celerating? the guy i test drove the car with said thats normal for almsot all s2k's
-and finally is there any pics of an interior in an s2k that someone has changed to what they believe looks nicer than the origincal interior?
any feedback would b great, thanks.
Brendan

Now sticky if you can be bothered reading this, i found one thread saying u can get hardtops but no listing of prices and how succesfull ppl have been, the thread u mentioned listed the buzzing as a problem to look out for but did not say how i can be fixed and weather its a really common problem e.g. 80% of s2k's have it, and lastly i havent seen anywhere about pics for moded interiors with a detailed explanation on how its done etc.
Now please let me post this thread unless you have direct links to answer these questions in full. and my starting story about my driving of rx8's and s2k's is my own personel story not something that should be blocked, its gud to get feedback from ppl saying things like 'well done glad to see you like the s2k' or 'yeah it is a great car to drive etc.'
thats all i got for now.
Brendan

Ferrari
26-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Hardtops are anywhere from 3-7k depending on new or used, OEM, Mugen, Seibon etc.

Clutch buzz is commonly documented, fix it with a newer 02+ clutch and even then the buzzing may return.

Search S2Ki for modded interior pics, they even have an aftermarket seat gallery.

You dont buy an S2000 over an RX8 for the interior any how.

Lastly the S2000 is a poor choice of vehicle for you. It requires alot of research to find parts and mod correctly. Research your obviously not capable of doing.

beeza
26-03-2010, 06:36 PM
It was harsh - BRAD!!

:)

jbird
26-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm not trying to be rude but o onto S2ki.com/forums they have a very extensive FAQ section. There is even a list of common problems and fixes.

Read everything on there. If you still have more questions of a general nature then you obviously didn't bother.

Theres about 91 S2000s on carsales right now, some of that have 21" wheels and tan ruffled leather interior with loads of speakers. If thats your style, go buy one of them instead of buying a stock one and ruining it by adding excess weight and crap. The S2000 is a sports car and its piece de resistance was its lightweight and high revving engine. That is why there are no threads with 'detailed explanations on how to do up and interior'. Most people change the speakers and head unit because the standard one is pretty crap. Then they go and take out the seats and put lighter, more supportive racing seats in.

Secondly, clutch buzz is the least of your problems with S2000s. It is a sound. It does nothing but remind you that this car is made to be driven. If it really bothers you changing the clutch to an AP2 2004+ should "fix" it.

Try Nengun.com or Gotuning for prices on hardtops. People are successful in receiving hardtops.

beeza
26-03-2010, 07:48 PM
This is what sucks,someone asks for help,the mod on that section power trips on him and the rest follow!!!

Poor guy cops a hammering and he just arrived here,F@CK.

Just help the guy out FFS and if ya got a gripe,let him know in a nice way.It's that simple and as if ya's don't know this by now,what am I a school teacher?!?!

Guy comes here and asks for help and gets this BS,maybe on a US forum but this is Ozhonda,we don't power trip here,RIGHT?!!

I'm out,

Brett.

ludecrs
26-03-2010, 07:56 PM
It was harsh - BRAD!!

:)

haha, I'm always happy to help people out as best I can, my Pm inbox is testament to that, I've given away stuff for free to people to use with no request for ever wanting them back (Eibach springs, map sensor, TPS sensor, TB just off the top of my head) no issues, but when some 90's baby just comes in wanting everything on a silver plater, (as if live wasn't silver platter enough for them already) I tend to crack the shits, when all the answers he or she seeks are already there, listed in 1 thread, or through a quick search.

However, I will answer the guys questions, its just sometimes you need to be harsh to the help the ones who cannot help themselves.

****note: I just have to help someone on MSN find a part and once I have I'll swing a proper reply to this thread.

beeza
26-03-2010, 08:08 PM
:) :) :)

winkyc
26-03-2010, 08:11 PM
theres alot of stuff to read on the s2k. u don't even know where to start esp if u don't even know much about cars.
i don't get whats the problem starting a new topic if the guy needs help

im guessing theres no point posting new topics at all in this ozhonda s2000 section
cos pretty much everything is on s2ki/ozhonda already

eg. i already see two clutch problems that people are having in this section
go search for it??

This is what sucks,someone asks for help,the mod on that section power trips on him and the rest follow!!!

Poor guy cops a hammering and he just arrived here,F@CK.

Just help the guy out FFS and if ya got a gripe,let him know in a nice way.It's that simple and as if ya's don't know this by now,what am I a school teacher?!?!

Guy comes here and asks for help and gets this BS,maybe on a US forum but this is Ozhonda,we don't power trip here,RIGHT?!!

I'm out,

Brett.

ludecrs
26-03-2010, 08:14 PM
so having said that i have some questions...
1.-does anyone know roughly how much for a hardtop to be fitted to an s2k?
2.-what an earth is the rattling coming from inside the s2k when de-celerating? the guy i test drove the car with said thats normal for almsot all s2k's
3.-and finally is there any pics of an interior in an s2k that someone has changed to what they believe looks nicer than the origincal interior?
any feedback would b great, thanks.

thats all i got for now.
Brendan

1.A search on ebay provides you with the best possible answer. You are fortunate enough to ask during which time a replica Mugen carbon fibre top is for sale with everything included.

Link: Ebay.com.au Mugen hardtop link (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/S2000-SEIBON-CF-MUGEN-REP-HARDTOP-WITH-HARDWARE-KIT_W0QQitemZ320506571055QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9fae292f)

The price is $3000, and Buy It Now is $3800, which is about the price for a 2nd hand genuine Mugen hardtop in FRP, and not carbon fibre. A genuine carbon fibre hardtop, new is about $10K + postage expenses. 2nd hand they go for about $6,500 + postage expenses. OEM hardtops go for between $1500 for a steal of a bargain, through to about $4,000.

2. That rattling sound, is the gearbox / clutch, commonly referred to as 'clutch buzz'. Its created when (I think from memory someone corect me if I'm wrong) the spigot wears and creates vibration through the box. Its only noticable on deceleration, and poses no threat to you or your car, however over time it gets worse. I have 125,000KM on my car, I'm boosted, and still run the OEM clutch with 'clutch buzz'. You get used to it, some say it even adds character.
The fix? Pull the OEM clutch and replace with something non-Exedy (unless you step up into something major ; see expensive - like the Hyper single which RRP is about $1500-$2000) as the OEM clutch is just an Exedy HD clutch from factory.

3. Hard to point you in a certain direction here. Do you want the ' JDM race' look, or the hectik plush leather cruiser style interior seen on every S2000 on George St on a Friday or Saturday night?

ludecrs
26-03-2010, 08:21 PM
:) :) :)

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy. :confused:

beeza
26-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy. :confused:

Haha,nah,I feel ya man!

It was a bit rude just to post 3 smily's and no text,but I wanted to say that I feel ya,I understand ya frustration.

Awesome answers/post too mate! :)

rokkuchan
26-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Ahh buy mine. Low K's and i dont have cheap mods. Car paint is looking very nice too after big treatment. Now just garaged and covered.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130197

My bro has RX8... you have to be a true rotor head to own a rotary car and have lots of extra $$ for maintenance if ur looking at a high K's RX8.

It's quite boring with linear power throughout the revs, though can reach 10,000rpms. Yes interior is nicer, but Rx8 is like a sporty sedan where as the s2k is like a big go-kart.

brendan1990
27-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok well im getting some answers now so thank you =)
Now i should explain to you that yes im a 90's baby, but i dont believe myself to be some commodore maniac like every other p plater, i dont give a crap about amps and speakers, when i was looking at the rx8 i was considering the one without leather trim and 9 speaker bose system purely because i get to pay less and get what i would think is a lighter car, not by much but every little bit counts, i have recently been helping a mate strip back a '98' model wrx for racing and have learnt allot about some of the crap that can be removed, i have bought many tuner magazines since then purely because they have articles on weight reduction and i believe that cause i am on my p's the cheapest most effective way to have a quicker car is through weight reduction, not adding stuff like a muffler that just sounds better, or nice rims because they look better,i probably wouldnt even add any form of body kit because of that factor of 'weight' if im putting an exhaust on my car im gonna want evidence and graphs from a dyno that im getting extra performance, if i want rims, im going to check if they are lighter etc. and so having said that the look i would be after for the interior is of course going to be a more racing style, not some plush leather trim, leather dash, setup, car's that have been striped to bare nothing i love the look of inside.

what else....umm i have looked on ebay for hardtops as well i jsut thought u guys would be able to give an idea of what a good price to pay is, i probably should have been more specific there.

the buzzing noise, i was told i would probably get used to as u guys mentioned, but when driving places with a family member, or my gf they will probably get pissed off with it, and ill be forced to go in her pulsar, so thats probably more the reason i would want it fixed.

ok and to rokk,i looked at your article for your s2k for sale but its a bit to pricey for me, im looking to pay around 22-24k which im aware will have around 80,000-130,000k's on the clock.

brendan1990
27-03-2010, 11:30 AM
oh and another thing to add is i have been trying to do my research. I have been looking at what to get next for about 4 months now i started off at a commodore, drove some and wasnt impressed, i have looked at n/a supras/ old kingswoods to work on, older rotaries, old mustangs, old porsches! please dont judge me and think i dont do my research i have looked at every option i can think of from stupid ideas like an old porsche, do not so stupid like the cheap kingswood, the rx8 i looked at for the majority until everyone at work seems to think the vetec engine is brilliant, so of course the first thing i looked at was how the v-tec engine works, and from what i have gathered it basically is double overhead cam, and has 3 loves per cylinder on the cam, alowing for both economy and performance with the 3rd lobe allow for a greater air/flow ratio....correct me if im wrong though...
also im not some spoiled rich kid who's parents throw money at, i have had a job sometimes 2 since i was legally old enough to get my first job, and you guys where right that i didnt look at the forum well enough first, but im in a generation thats basically learned half the things we know from a computer, so i thought it would be simple to just ask away on the forum without any hassles.
Brendan

ludecrs
27-03-2010, 11:48 AM
the look i would be after for the interior is of course going to be a more racing style, not some plush leather trim, leather dash, setup, car's that have been striped to bare nothing i love the look of inside.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4412844486_134b6608b4_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4426029689_fd74ca31e3_b.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5677/p1010098je.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/Chuey4686/PICT0328.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/s2krazy/Random/puto5.jpg

etc etc etc

brendan1990
27-03-2010, 11:59 AM
wow they look really good, i havent really sat in any bucket seats while driving, can they be comfortable for every day driving?

euromandeluxe
27-03-2010, 01:06 PM
wow they look really good, i havent really sat in any bucket seats while driving, can they be comfortable for every day driving?

imo if you're used to normal sedan seats, even the stock seats can become uncomfortable on long drives. daily drives for me are fine though (about 30min each way)

the stock seats do hold you pretty nicely for oem :)

jbird
27-03-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=507896

Check that thread out for weight loss tips.

Things I have learnt in my research of going for a fixed bucket seat. The fixed bucket needs to be ADR approved as well as the rails. It also needs to be engineer aoorived.

Comfortable to sit in depending on the seat. Getting in and out though is not the easiest thing especially for taller/bigger people.

You shouldn't run a harness especially without a rollbar, ESPECIALLY without a proper neck restraint and never on the road. If the police don't own you then if you get into an accident you should say bye to any neck mobility for the rest of your life.

You can remove about about 80kgs from an s2000 whilst still retaining the A/C and stereo.
-Bucket seats
-Light wheels
-single lightweight exhaust/headers
-remove spare/tools

Also fuel economy in an S2000 isn't anything to write home about. It's about 350-400kms to a tank or roughly 11-13L/100kms of city driving. Good for a sports car especially one with 176kw...but not great in general car terms.

Modding and S is also pretty expensive. It is probably the worst kw/$ car you can buy compared to say an Evo or something...

Don't let it deter you because its still a great car and in its price bracket not many cars can compete.

The whole buzzing thing. Honestly it only ever comes up if you've been caning it for a bit...and even then it only makes a sound if your decelerating in gear and letting compression do the job. If you drive it normally and smoothly you hardly ever hear it.

Lastly its a car that needs constant maintenance, regular oil changes etc. because the car is built to tight tolerances and at the end of the day was once worth $70k+.

brendan1990
27-03-2010, 01:47 PM
ok thanks jbird that really helps, as far as running costs, i know i have been ranting on about the rx8 a bit, but that costs more than the s2000 to run so i will be fine with running costs if i was prepared to hop into an 8, im quite surprised modding is expensive, because whenever i buy tuner mags, all the advertisement for parts and mods for these jap type cars includes the s2k, so do you mean modding is expensive in general? or its expensive because parts for it are rare?
I would of expected it to be cheaper than modding cars like older bmw's, rotaries, and about the same pricing as fords and holdens of today.
And with the buzzing im sure i can deal with it as long as it isnt actually doing any harm to the car.

euromandeluxe
27-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Also fuel economy in an S2000 isn't anything to write home about. It's about 350-400kms to a tank or roughly 11-13L/100kms of city driving. Good for a sports car especially one with 176kw...but not great in general car terms.

interesting. I've only had mine for 2 months now, but I'm consistently getting 9.5-9.8L/100km, with about a 50/50 split for freeway and city driving, which is better economy than I was getting from the euro (which was generally 10-10.5). I don't drive like a grandma yet either - the car's still new for me so I'm still enjoying seeing redline quite often.

maybe you do more city driving than I do, and maybe your cars more nodded than mine.

jbird
27-03-2010, 03:37 PM
interesting. I've only had mine for 2 months now, but I'm consistently getting 9.5-9.8L/100km, with about a 50/50 split for freeway and city driving, which is better economy than I was getting from the euro (which was generally 10-10.5). I don't drive like a grandma yet either - the car's still new for me so I'm still enjoying seeing redline quite often.

maybe you do more city driving than I do, and maybe your cars more nodded than mine.

Mines all city driving so it's pretty crap. Mines not modded actually, engine wise anyway. I might put my car on a weight loss regime and I think I'll get better figures (worst excuse to put an exhaust/bucket seats in ahha).

What 'tuner' mags do you buy with these s2000 mod prices?

Read what I wrote again Brendan.
"Modding and S is also pretty expensive. It is probably the worst kw/$ car you can buy compared to say an Evo or something..."
e.g you can spend 3k buying headers, intake, test pipe and cat back and only get like 10 rwkw.

3k on an evo would see you get 40kw, ecu-flash tune, catback, front pipe.

That's just power which is only one facet to tuning an S. Plus most parts are from overseas like the U.S or Japan and shipping is a big factor.

Where as locally theres a huge market for skylines/silvias etc and parts are cheaper and second hand stuff is found easier.

brendan1990
27-03-2010, 09:19 PM
ok i get you now, um the mags is fast fours & rotaries i dont have many as i have only started buying them when i got keep on tuner type cars.