PDA

View Full Version : dc2 vtir steering issues, bumps steer me

MrJDMCivic
27-03-2010, 12:28 AM
hi everyone, i have a dc2 vtir and its got issues.
i've got some 17inch wheels on it, and it tends to steer to the left and right alot when going over any bump. to the point that if im not holding the steering wheel tight all the time, the car will switch lanes on a bump, which scares the shit out of me. even when you hold the steering wheel straight, a bump will pull hard againsted the steering wheel, and cause the car to jerk alittle to the left or right, its bad!
so i went to the steering tyre place, and they adjusted the tow but told me that i can't adjust the camber/caster.

didn't make any difference, it still pulls hard to the left or right over any bumps, what should i do?

chargeR
27-03-2010, 10:37 AM
What you are describing possibly isn't bump steer. Bump steer refers to the amount of toe change a suspension undertakes with suspension compression or droop, so for example a stock DC2 might get 2mm of toe in for every 15mm of bump travel from stock height. These amounts of toe are just not enough to steer a car across a lane though.

What you are experiencing is more likely a combination of tramlining and steering kickback, probably made much more prominent by your 17" wheels and lower profile tyres. The less compliant tyre is more inclined to follow road flaws. This might also be exacerbated by the alignment guys not knowing what they are doing, if you ended up with toe out at the front it will only make the issue worse.

To try and solve the problem I would start with trying your stock 15" wheels on if you still have them, and also try getting the front toe set to 2-3mm of toe in. Also check the condition of all the bushes in the front end including the inner and outer tie rod ends.

Mikecivic78
27-03-2010, 02:29 PM
All of the things described below :thumbsup:.

17" inch wheels aren't ideal for a DC2, look into going back to 15s or 16s.

Proper wheel alignment and full suspension/steering rack check would be the next step if smaller wheels/bigger profile tyres don't help.

liberx
27-03-2010, 07:05 PM
The most likely cause are the wheels offset - made worse by larger rubber.

Civics and integras like yours should have an offset of around +40 to +45. I have a set of 16s with +33 offset and they tramline all over the place.

Got some +40s now and they are sweet :)

DC2-PWR
27-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I have 17inch rims on my Integra vtir, and I don't have a problem. I think it's your offset or bad wheel alignment,

What rims you got on? What tyre do you have and what size is it?

MrJDMCivic
27-03-2010, 07:57 PM
hey, originally i had low profile tyres on my 17's but then the bumps would bent the mags so i decided to go up a step in profile, so i think it useto have 205 but now its 225, and it hasn't effected the steering in the whole pull left right issue. the mags are momo, and they are wide, (the rears hit the qualters) so its possible its my offset.

bennjamin
27-03-2010, 08:03 PM
larger diameter rims will amplify small issues with suspension geometry - that are not or not so obvious on smaller rims. Tyre flex on larger side-walled tyres covers this.