PDA

View Full Version : Losing Coolant in the Resevior Tank

ATSE
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Hey guys,
I got a problem. My coolant reservior tank is loosing coolant, not alot but still noticable. The thing is, I don't think it is the headgasket, no white smoke, plugs are fine and I don't think it is the water pump cause i changed it less than 20K km's ago. I'm putting it down to 3 things:

*Rad cap losing pressure
*The drain plug or hose is leaking coolant (*which I can't see*)
*Air in the coolant system

The thing is it only happened after my friend flushed my system and put new coolant in. What do you guys think?

VTEC16
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I had the same thing - turned out to be the radiator cap.

Lukezen27
11-12-2004, 12:58 PM
I've got the same thing

Tho its such a small amount I have not bothered doing anything about it

Radiator cap hay, might look into it

Thx LukeZen

wynode
11-12-2004, 02:05 PM
The thing is it only happened after my friend flushed my system and put new coolant in. What do you guys think?
I had a similar thing after doing mine. Put your finger on/in the radiator drain plug and feel if its wet/coolant leaking there.

Chances are the rubber o-ring on the plug is worn and needs to be replaced (i was loosing a little at a time, but could see a small puddle directly under it overnight).

ATSE
11-12-2004, 02:35 PM
cheers boyz. Hey Wynode, nah there are no visible wet spots that i can see. unless it is leaking from the drain plug on the botom of the radiator onto the front bumper. Ill check it out at my friends place 2morrow. Thanks again.:wave:

wynode
12-12-2004, 11:55 AM
cheers boyz. Hey Wynode, nah there are no visible wet spots that i can see. unless it is leaking from the drain plug on the botom of the radiator onto the front bumper. Ill check it out at my friends place 2morrow. Thanks again.:wave:
No probs. Just put your finger down there and see if you can feel dampness.

If it is the drain plug o-ring......you don't have to flush the entire system again, just let the car cool FULLY, then (with the radiator cap still on) undo the plug fully, stick both your fingers in the holes for the plug and get someone to change the o-ring while you stop the coolant from coming out.

Shouldnt loose too much coolant this way!

Weq
12-12-2004, 02:00 PM
ur not 'loosing' the coolant, its entering back into ur system. You can put this down to a few reasons - one could be that u didnt bleed it properly in the first place. Either way, keep an eye on it, if its drastically loosing coolant and ur not leaking anywhere, its ur headgasket - but thats unprobable.

ATSE
12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
hehe thanks boyz ALL FIXED
Weq was spot on.. there was still air pockets in the hose... now itz all good!!!

BLKCRX
12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
there was still air pockets in the hose... very common problem....

ATSE
13-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Oh is it common James? I wanna know.. where was the coolant going to? Was it getting burned up or what?