PDA

View Full Version : original honda keys for 7th Gen GLI Civic

xcwizit
27-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,
My friend just bought a 2001 7th Gen GLi Sedan today, although the owner did not have original Honda keys!
I thought since these 2001 model civics are fairly new cars, shouldn't the 7th Gen Civics come with standard remote central locking / keyless entry? And are the keys supposed to come with a chip inside of them? or are these models like the older cars without the chips in the keys?

Also have done a search but couldn't find another 7th Gen Sedan with a hand rest? Can you find these hand rests anywhere?

Are mods easy to find, not including what you can from ebay or overseas?

By the way he bought it for $7500, full service history, 140k kms on the clock interior and exterior is incredible. Cheap or what?

Any opinion welcome!!!
Thanks guys in advance.

SHU-ES1
31-03-2010, 03:47 PM
he got it for a pretty decent price as they are still going for around 8-9k. the keys should be chipped, but i can't confirm that. he should have give you the remote for central locking etc. there are no arm rests for this model civic, sedan or hatchback but you can buy some on ebay and just bolt them on yourself if you really want one - although it might look a bit dodgy.

you will find most mods engine wise are hard to come by except intake. suspension bits, most are shared with the ep3/dc5 and will fit with maybe a little modification. other than that, what else are you after? i sold my 03 sedan auto last year for 10k with 140k, so the price your friend bought it for is pretty good.

xcwizit
04-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. When we picked up the car. They gave us 1 key which does have the chip in it. By any chance how much are they worth for an original key from Honda? And does it have to get tuned by Honda or can I just take it to a key-cut place and get the key cut? Another question, the back doors dont open when u open with the key! and it doesnt close when you close with the key... Is this a common thing with this model civic?

SHU-ES1
04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
when i owned my sedan, the passenger side lock wouldn't lock/unlock with the remote so maybe it is more common that i thought. the actuator that opens and locks the doors could be stuffed. take it to an auto-elec and get it checked out is my best bet before you go buying anything from honda, and i believe the original honda keys are quite expensive. don't quote me on that though!

clem
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I can tell you on my 05 7th gen that there is a remote central locking control seperate from the key so chances are the prev owner probably lost it. Don't freak out yet! There are places on ebay that sell the remote, just make sure its for the right model/year. The civic has a learning program you activate on the car and you can program 3 remotes with it. Google it up for instructions.

Original key would cost you upwards of 300 from honda so dont bother.