PDA

View Full Version : spray cans of paint fading awayy

rey2009
29-03-2010, 01:52 PM
hey membersss

i was wondering if there is any spray can of black paint that if i use colour wont fade away and will stay shiny?

ive used a red paint spray can for car from supercheap and after 3 days the paint started fading away from the places i sprayd (started getting lighter and lighter to light red ugly matt finish)

i need to spray paint eg sideskirts to black gloss finish

what spray can and what should i use to keep sideskirts shiny black colour without the colour fading awayto ugly matt?

thank you

niiCk
29-03-2010, 01:57 PM
get it pro done..
or use "midnight black" spray can from supercheap:)

rey2009
29-03-2010, 02:11 PM
buh will MIDNIGHT black fade away after few washes?

Premature Vtec
29-03-2010, 02:15 PM
use clear coat after base paint. should give it that clear shine and protect the black for a while

niiCk
29-03-2010, 02:18 PM
no...

aaronng
29-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah, you need to follow up with a clear coat spray.

Premature Vtec
29-03-2010, 02:32 PM
no...

? uh ok

rey2009
29-03-2010, 02:54 PM
no...

he said no to fading away

what is the spray call

just midnight black or is in some type of enamal:S

dynasty
29-03-2010, 03:06 PM
if you want to use canned paint, make sure its arcrylic laquer paint, or at least arcrylic enamel and then clear coat over it using the same formula paint. Stay away from australian export enamel paint for $3 per can ( i suspect thats what you got), and then clear coat over it.

rey2009
29-03-2010, 03:26 PM
how bout 3M from supercheap?

niiCk
29-03-2010, 03:29 PM
? uh ok

are you okay? *pats back.

he said no to fading away

what is the spray call

just midnight black or is in some type of enamal:S

yeah i did say it wont fade away..
i dont remember the actual brand of the spray can though its the yellow label ones that supercheap sells..its in the larger spray can not the regular small ones..
the paint colour is midnight black..check my thread yourself to see the results

rayb3na_
29-03-2010, 03:30 PM
are you prepping the surfaces.. they key to a good finish is prepping the surface.. you should be sanding it back before you paint anything.. should also prime it make it a little harder wearing.. and then clear coat over the top

aaronng
29-03-2010, 03:35 PM
how bout 3M from supercheap?

You will still need a layer of clear coat if you want it to stay glossy. So get a can of the colourless clear spray too.

rey2009
29-03-2010, 06:36 PM
what type of primer:S

Zilli
30-03-2010, 07:14 AM
depends on the paint, when i did a repair on the ute i got it custom mixed at Autobarn, and it was an "all in one" paint, i dont know the technical term, but i didnt need to clear coat it...

i spraying and blended it in at the damaged corner, let it dry for a week, then buffed it back with a cutting compound... still shiney

rey2009
30-03-2010, 10:55 AM
thats not a spray can loll

geeang
30-03-2010, 11:13 AM
thats not a spray can loll

Yes it is.

Zilli
30-03-2010, 11:17 AM
:-)...

rey2009
30-03-2010, 11:32 AM
custom mixed spray can:S:S with clear coat in it:S never heard that before

aaronng
30-03-2010, 02:59 PM
custom mixed spray can:S:S with clear coat in it:S never heard that before
There is no clear coat in that one. But it is probably a proper automotive paint and not those crappy spray can acrylics. Better idea than buying those spray cans on the shelf from supercheap.

rey2009
30-03-2010, 07:51 PM
soo ur saying

its better getting custom mixed spray can from autobarn

should i tell them i want glossy black

thats all yea?

niiCk
30-03-2010, 09:00 PM
just get a paint code from a black honda..or any black colour car you want..then go up to them and give them the code and bam you got yourself some paint..
simple broo..

trism
30-03-2010, 09:07 PM
you need to prep the surface. sand it back, prime it, then spray it

rey2009
30-03-2010, 09:11 PM
ak nw ive to find paint codes loll

any clue wat would be paint code for shiny black loll

niiCk
30-03-2010, 10:09 PM
814-CK
hahaha nah i duno, just ask around..
get like nighthawk black or some thing..

rey2009
31-03-2010, 09:40 AM
814-CK
hahaha nah i duno, just ask around..
get like nighthawk black or some thing..

lol funnyknt

androo
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Check your door jam yet?

cheapdouchebag
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
if the part of the car that u want to spray is fresh, then you would need a primer. however if your just gunna touchup/respray then i dont think you would need to prime, just make sure that the area is sanded down very well, and it has become dull, and feels smooth, and appears smooth too.
when your sanding, your roughing up the surface so it leave small micro gaps for the paint to stick too once attached onto the metal/plastic.

when i mean sand, wet sanding is best imo, give a nice flat surface.
im touching up my car by spraying it as well, only thing is im using a air compressor thats 2HP and a spray gun only ideal for touching up.

i guess the problem with can spraying is that you will have more than one empty can, n the can is a waste of money, where the money paid to get it in a can could of gotten you more paint. and not to mention you gotta shake it all the time and only really god in small bursts of lengths of about 30cm each time you press down on the nozzle
make sure its nice and warm in terms of weather too and not humid when you do it, makes the paint go on more evenly.

and when you have sprayed a few coats on, it should appear a nice colour, not too sure if it will match what you wanted but if its done right it would start looking good. make sure u sand after applying the colour to smoothen it out, possibly 2000gritt sand paper, maybe thats a bit too fine but its alright.

then slap on the clear coat, should start making your colour shining, this is your protection coat. give it a few coats of it as well untill the desired shine comes out i supose.

then, sand down a bit, wet sand of course, then use a bit of cutting compound, and then buff it.

goodluck with it, i learnt my way from the guy on this site jdm_b16a his names peter i think. cept he recomended to prime well, i just skipped this step, ask him for some help.

i typed this in a rush so some might not make sense or incorrect cuz im in a lecture atm at uni hahah so boring.

tiksie
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
if the part of the car that u want to spray is fresh, then you would need a primer. however if your just gunna touchup/respray then i dont think you would need to prime, just make sure that the area is sanded down very well, and it has become dull, and feels smooth, and appears smooth too.
when your sanding, your roughing up the surface so it leave small micro gaps for the paint to stick too once attached onto the metal/plastic.

when i mean sand, wet sanding is best imo, give a nice flat surface.
im touching up my car by spraying it as well, only thing is im using a air compressor thats 2HP and a spray gun only ideal for touching up.

i guess the problem with can spraying is that you will have more than one empty can, n the can is a waste of money, where the money paid to get it in a can could of gotten you more paint. and not to mention you gotta shake it all the time and only really god in small bursts of lengths of about 30cm each time you press down on the nozzle
make sure its nice and warm in terms of weather too and not humid when you do it, makes the paint go on more evenly.

and when you have sprayed a few coats on, it should appear a nice colour, not too sure if it will match what you wanted but if its done right it would start looking good. make sure u sand after applying the colour to smoothen it out, possibly 2000gritt sand paper, maybe thats a bit too fine but its alright.

then slap on the clear coat, should start making your colour shining, this is your protection coat. give it a few coats of it as well untill the desired shine comes out i supose.

then, sand down a bit, wet sand of course, then use a bit of cutting compound, and then buff it.

goodluck with it, i learnt my way from the guy on this site jdm_b16a his names peter i think. cept he recomended to prime well, i just skipped this step, ask him for some help.

i typed this in a rush so some might not make sense or incorrect cuz im in a lecture atm at uni hahah so boring.

It's always a good idea to prime to get a even surface and fill up blemishes that might appear after you apply colour.

Wet sanding isn't the only thing that gives a smooth finish, you can do this dry aswell, the only difference is that with wet you are saving more sandpaper.

I use clog-free white sandpaper for parts that I spray and that is as good as wet sanding.

There is no problem with spraying with a can, there is no point to buy thinners/paint/retarder/hardener (if your spraying 2K) or Thinners/paint just to spray small parts, especially if it's a expensive paint.

Most paint stores have a set price on spray cans for any colour, even some of the expensive 2K colours.

Here is a front lip I did with a spray can:

From this:
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/UNI_1552.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/UNI_1554.jpg

To this:
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/UNI_1567.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/UNI_1571.jpg

Note: inside of the lip wasn't sprayed on purpose as it's not seen once fitted onto the car.

I would cut up your post into more sections to correct you, but I can't be bothered as of this moment lol.

rey2009
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
thanksss thiss really helpppdd

however i dnt have a spray gun so have to use a can

process is

wet sand it (what gritt?)
prime it
sand it again(what gritt?)
paint it (can)
sand it again 2000 gritt
clear coat

what i didnt get is
why sand after painting black
wouldnt it just remove the paint?

cheapdouchebag
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
tiksie - not a problem i havent put much effort explaining cuz i was so scattered and half listening to a lecture typing up one big post haha
but yeah you are right, and i knew that too i just had trouble explaning brain under mega stress rofls.

oh yeah, i didnt read op's starting thread properly, didnt realise he was only gunna paint a small bit i was under the impression he was gunna spray alot of the car haha.

thanksss thiss really helpppdd

however i dnt have a spray gun so have to use a can

process is

wet sand it (what gritt?)
prime it
sand it again(what gritt?)
paint it (can)
sand it again 2000 gritt
clear coat

what i didnt get is
why sand after painting black
wouldnt it just remove the paint?

well the the proper method IMO, tiksie can correct me on this if he feels im part wrong

firstle, sand it, if its a fresh part, do a 'fair' effort if u understand what i mean
but if its already got some paint on it, sand it down till the paint is gone i think 600 gritt sandpaper is good for this part as its quick

if your not happy with the condition of the part, use a body filler or also called as putty filler to fill in any cracks and bond the cracks together, sand it down to be flush with the part and have it also be smooth.
i think 600 gritt sandpaper would be good to imo, some might say 600 is not fine enough
then
thirdly, prime coat the goodie, and then wait for it to dry and sand it with 1200 gritt sandpaper not too sure when the primer is sanded properly wat it should feel like, ask jdm_b16a i hardly use primer cuz i cbf this step

then, coat with the paint, after a few coats you will need to wet sand the paint to flatten it and also possibly reveal any imperfections in your paint otherwise you may have some 'prickly' parts in your paint

then go over it with a few more coats, lightly sand it this time untill the smoothness desired is reached

then clear coat, and thats about it.

if u like, cut and polish, but im not too sure if its necessary on such a small part.

i painted my side skirts with just sanding and black paint, and then just clear coat, probably not fantastic looking but nobody will notice. you only really need proper steps if you are gunna paint the whole car, but simple sideskirts, i revived the gloss how it looked like with tyre shine rofls, but that didnt last it started peeling after 2 weeks so yeah its painting time haha

rey2009
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
lol why peeling? didnt u follow the process?

6thgear
01-04-2010, 11:26 PM
thats an awesome can job tiksie! whered you get the paint from?

btw, think nighthawk black paint code is NH92PX/B92P

cheapdouchebag
02-04-2010, 12:02 AM
lol why peeling? didnt u follow the process?

i used tyre shine not paint rofls

rey2009
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
lmfaooo u mean u used tire shiner instead of clear? loll

tiksie
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
thats an awesome can job tiksie! whered you get the paint from?

btw, think nighthawk black paint code is NH92PX/B92P

Got it from Pep's mate ;)

LOL @ Tyre Shine.

cheapdouchebag
02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
LOL @ Tyre Shine.

hey man its still an improvement from dull black haha.
but now ive gone the extra mile n sprayed it properly rofl

Raztaz
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
hahahah Tyre shine.

Using a spray can i had mixed for me at autobarn and those steps my grill has lasted 2 years now and no fade.
Just how autobarn mixed it, it seems different slightly to the rest of the car

rey2009
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
niccee

rey2009
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
process is

sanding (600 gritt)
wipe surface
prime it
sand it again(1200 gritt)
paint it (can) x2 coats lightly
wet sand it again (2000 gritt)
clear coat x2 lightly

thegame888
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
You don't need a spry gun. You can get spray cans in your custom colour mixed up
at Autobarn like others have said, or even your local auto paint shop. Only thing is
because its in a can, if you change your mind on the colour, they cant change it, so
pick well.

Like everyone else here has said, make sure to paint over again with a clear coat. I
guarantee that it wont fade.

The problem with your first attempt was you were using cheap ass Export paint. That
stuff is useless. Not only does it fade, but it can also, darken, or lighten after it has
been painted. Same thing with their clears. Any auto paint will do the job well.

The process outline above seems ok to me. ^^^^

rey2009
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
yea truee

great ill start doing it