PDA

View Full Version : DIY vtir upgrading help

Webby_roller
29-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, just after some help from some experienced before I start on the DIY track...

Firstly, I have a set of Type R cams, springs and retainers. I know each spring has a color, which color is for intake and which is for exhaust?

Running the type r cams wont impede on valve to head clearances?

I don't have any type r cam gears, can you use the standard vtir cam gears? I am looking for adjustable cam gears but have no idea what to look for as i haven't had any experience with them, any brands/ideas/places to get them that i should be looking for???

For undertaking this, is there any advice or tips anybody has? like any tips placing the timing belt back on etc. (i have read the team integra write up on changing springs so i have my guide) anything else really need to be changed?

Finally, anybody know who tunes hondata s200 in QLD???

sorry for the onslaught of q's but am wanting to complete this before uni goes back after easter.

Cheers

Webby

TheSaint
30-03-2010, 09:58 AM
have u got a type-r intake manifold and hondata intake manifold gasket? if not i would do this mod as well

toda/spoon/skunk2/bisimoto all make a good adjustable cam gear

Webby_roller
30-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I was looking at running a replica intake manifold but have read in the past that the standard vtir manifold can flow quite well with a slight polish....

its for a Integra vtir... just thought it might help if i mentioned it....

Webby_roller
31-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Bumping for some experienced help...

Limbo
31-03-2010, 10:45 AM
pretty sure that there is no difference in the intake & exhaust valve springs.
Cos i used b16 intake valve springs on my exhaust side, so that i would have double valve springs all round
When i installed b18 cams.

Also i've been told quite a few people use this method when upgrading cams.

Also if you need the ITR cam gears i have a set lying around PM me if you want them.

DC2-PWR
31-03-2010, 11:38 AM
DYNO Tunez in Brownsplains can do all sorts of tunning there, try them.

Webby_roller
31-03-2010, 12:59 PM
B18c2 has single spring exhaust... so it needs to be changed... I dont mind changing springs... would be fun to learn, so they need to be changed. I can just move my intake springs to my exhaust as they are the same part number, then put the type r intake spring on, but i am unsure of which colour the intake springs are... i belive there is green or orange

I will give them a call... have you had anything tuned by them before??

DC2-PWR
31-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah my gu patrol,

anyways good luck

Webby_roller
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
bumping for spring colours....

Limbo
01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
there was a youtube vid on how to change them. I'd watch it, they prob show you the colours etc on the vid

I got the shop to change mine, so i never bothered looking

pinoy-boi
01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
:thumbsup:
Yeah my gu patrol,

anyways good luck

i think i remeber seeing this in the shop. brendan was working on it lol

pinoy-boi
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
for tuning try 101 motor cafe or 999 automotive, they both are good with hondas

DC2-PWR
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
:thumbsup:

i think i remeber seeing this in the shop. brendan was working on it lol

There was no one else in the work shop lol, it was done in the night and the shop was closed:).

pinoy-boi
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
There was no one else in the work shop lol, it was done in the night and the shop was closed:).

ahhhh, lol i was kinda there after hours one nyt with vonnie. maybe it wasnt urs, i jjust rember them working on a patrol lol

tinkerbell
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
pretty sure that there is no difference in the intake & exhaust valve springs.

wrong

yellow = intake, blue = exhaust

or tall = intake & short = exhaust

Also if you need the ITR cam gears i have a set lying around PM me if you want them.

cam gears are identical between all VTEC heads.

Webby_roller
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
wrong

yellow = intake, blue = exhaust

or tall = intake & short = exhaust

cam gears are identical between all VTEC heads.

Thanks for that man.... Will be looking to get it done soon.... :)

Webby_roller
04-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, sombody said before about a video on youtube about changing springs.... ive done some searching and am unable to find it, if you know what the tags are for it or have a link to it please post it, that would help alot.

Cheers

tinkerbell
05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
you need to have a proper valve spring compressor to suit a Honda head...

if you don't have this - there is no video that can help you, sorry...

here is a link to some Factory service manuals:

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

you need the 98-01 Integra one.

Webby_roller
05-04-2010, 12:58 PM
i am trying to get one through work so will see how it goes... will have to read through the manual before i start, thanks for the link...