PDA

View Full Version : oil change gone wrong

cheapdouchebag
31-03-2010, 07:02 PM
ive finished my bottle of feo, when i was changing the oil, the oil colour that came out from the sump hole was BLACK.
i just realised my feo bottle had only two litres.

i see my mums got this motor oil made by valvoline, 10 litres.. its 20w-50.

the engine oil dipstick has JUSST past the first hole.
should i mix a bit? i dont wanan go buy another feo im going castrol edge after this.

grifty
31-03-2010, 07:05 PM
never mix oil, just drain what you have in it atm and use that 20w-50

Lukey
31-03-2010, 07:26 PM
dump the current stuff, use the 20w50 to go buy the castrol edge, then dump the 20w50 and start using castrol edge.

OMG.JAI xD
31-03-2010, 07:30 PM
never mix oil, just drain what you have in it atm and use that 20w-50

Might I add. Dont thrash the car using this oil. (given that youre talking about doing an oil change on a honda).

20-50 is excessively heavy for a honda motor.

Mikecivic78
31-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Let me get this right, so u put in 2L of fresh FEO and it's up to the lower mark on the dipstick?

Stay away from the 20w50, way too heavy.

If its up 2 the lower mark with fresh oil, then get an one litre bottle of FEO from the Honda dealer and pour it in. Lower to upper mark on the dipstick is about 1L. One Litre of FEO shouldn't cost u much at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it does come in 1L bottles.

Lukey
31-03-2010, 08:07 PM
personally i wouldnt be driving around with oil only up to the lower level on the dipstick..

OMG.JAI xD
31-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Dont mix oils.
Dont drive with 2L in the sump.

Put in a fresh 20-50 at least 4L.
Enough to drive around and grab something that is thinner and lighter.
Then re-drain and re fill with the oil you just bought.

Lukey
31-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Dont mix oils.
Dont drive with 2L in the sump.

Put in a fresh 20-50 at least 4L.
Enough to drive around and grab something that is thinner and lighter.
Then re-drain and re fill with the oil you just bought.

4l will overfill a eg.

lilthug
31-03-2010, 08:51 PM
cant use another car to go buy the feo?

Mikecivic78
31-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not suggesting that you drive with only 2L in the sump.

Get a mate to drive you to pick up some oil. Topping it up with 1-2L of FEO will be much cheaper than draining 2L of fresh new oil and buying a whole 5L of new oil.

By the sound of things, you must be strapped 4 cash if u only had 2L of new oil 2 put in your car!

cheapdouchebag
31-03-2010, 09:34 PM
i got feo from a mate so all good, nah the car drived well just a bit worried. d-series ftw haha can run that shit on sand.
it was late and all the places were closed

I'm not suggesting that you drive with only 2L in the sump.

Get a mate to drive you to pick up some oil. Topping it up with 1-2L of FEO will be much cheaper than draining 2L of fresh new oil and buying a whole 5L of new oil.

By the sound of things, you must be strapped 4 cash if u only had 2L of new oil 2 put in your car!
not strapped for cash, i did the oil change, but it was at 6 so all places were closed and i didnt realise i only had 2L left haha.
feo is a bit hard for me to get unless its at a honda place, which were all closed haha
way more responsive with fresh oil, cant belive the oil came out DARK BLACK OMFG! i only did change the oil 2 months ago

Lukey
31-03-2010, 09:39 PM
i got feo from a mate so all good, nah the car drived well just a bit worried. d-series ftw haha can run that shit on sand.
it was late and all the places were closed

not strapped for cash, i did the oil change, but it was at 6 so all places were closed and i didnt realise i only had 2L left haha.
feo is a bit hard for me to get unless its at a honda place, which were all closed haha
way more responsive with fresh oil, cant belive the oil came out DARK BLACK OMFG! i only did change the oil 2 months ago

it means its doing its job.

cheapdouchebag
31-03-2010, 10:04 PM
what do you mean? elaborate on that im not sure what u mean

na-118
31-03-2010, 10:24 PM
as long as its not on e, and above e, cause the sump has oil in it for the meantime

TheSaint
31-03-2010, 11:06 PM
i have run my car on almost empty before and i didnt realise

car was running fine ... it was only a monthly oil check that showed it up

kept an eye on it for a few weeks after the incident and it still runs fine

FEO ftw =)

Lukey
01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
what do you mean? elaborate on that im not sure what u mean

it cleans all the build up of carbon and other stuff inside the engine.

how many kms do you do between oil changes?

trism
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
if you put oil in, start the car, run it for 30 seconds, and drain it, it will be black.

the reason it goes black is because all of the particles of carbon, and microscopic bits of metal that naturally get worn away get picked up, and suspended in your oil.

thats why you change it

MRK20CRX
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
It's also good to get some engine flush. Pretty much does the same thing. Plwhen people say the oil was black when it came out means that the oil is doing what it was engineered to do. I suggest you use Motul 8100 5w 30. Not sure if you want to pay $90 for 5l though. I run that shit in my ef8 and it's really nice and smooth

Lukey
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
It's also good to get some engine flush

gotta remember you need to let the car run for at least 20 minutes after putting the engine flush in before dumping the oil.

o-utah158
02-04-2010, 05:09 PM
u gotta let the engine warm up 4 a little bit so the oil gets hot n thin, so when u drain it most of it will come out and always change the filter too

androo
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
If your engine is old it might not be a good idea to use engine flush. Sometimes the carbon deposits inside the engine are the only things keeping it 'healthy'. On my old EG it ran perfect, until a friend told me to use some 'engine flush'. After that, my engine started burning oil.

Just a note. If there's nothing wrong, don't 'fix' it!

Also, if your engine oil turns black after only 30 seconds from fresh, I think your engine is running very 'rich'? I don't know someone here might be able to add more info, but it's definitely not normal. Might not be harmful, but not normal. Here's the cars I have/had:

e.g. my EG civic (old car) - Oil turned black after about 1 week (FEO, then tried Magnatec - same results) Not too healthy of a car.

Civic 09 (currently in family) - Never black - Only darker at change. Changed every 10,000km (FEO)

Jazz 05 (currently in family) - Never black - Only darker at change. Changed every 10,000km (FEO)

Integra VTi-R 94 (My car) - It's been about 1.5 months now - First time I'm using EDGE. It's just starting to get darker but no where near black (EDGE 5W-30)

Your bottle of oil should be the same as everyone elses (brand wise, etc.) so your oil never 'doesn't' work. Your engine might simply healthier or running leaner than others.

e.g. FEO went black in the EG, but not the Jazz.

Just a note.

trism
22-04-2010, 06:43 PM
are you judging the colour by dumping the oil or looking at the dipstick?

Also, the car running rich wont effect the oil after only 30 seconds. And of course an older car will see darker oil than a newer car. More wear, larger gaps/tolerances etc etc.