PDA

View Full Version : Strength of the K20z?

Kastro
01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi all,

Quick intro, i have a 2009 FN2 Type R.

I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge or experiance to answer howcome the Redline is 8,800rpm.

I believe that it has been higher on previous models.

Also the type R engines are always usually indestructable, but i was just wondering if anyone has already extended the RPM, or has knowledge that might help in pointing out areas of intrest that need to be considered?

Just trying to gather some information before i go out and find out the expensive way that there was a reason the RPM was lowered, through engine failure.

As i see it i would guess that a new ECU, set of cams and valve springs is needed.

Basically just want to add a bit more fun factor to driving the car, when im not stuck in traffic.

Thanx, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area or has already been posted. (im new and its my first post)

twing
01-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I think all AUDM type r (including DC2) red line starts at 8k rpm. Maybe a bit over 8k, but not 8.5k. 8.5k is the JDM.

I am guessing 8800 rpm is the fuel cut to prevent engine destruction.

about bumping up the rpm limit: Have a look at technical section and search posting by TODA AU.

r3ckless
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
i got a k20z )type s) redline is 8100rpm, fuel cutoff at 8300rpm. but is wear, ever since usigna toda header and spoon n1 cat-back... i have redlined to like possibly 8500rpm, no issues.

I am considering kpro, or mugen ECU... but their redline is at like 9200RPM .... im a bit skeptical, as i dont wanan ugprade my valve springs etc.

Antv
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
8800 redline??? no way

WATAJK
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
8800 redline??? no way

Idk what mine is on my ITR (K20A2) since the modifications i've done..
Thats only with the mods of Exhaust and Intake...
Soon to be Toda headers aswell...
But im bypassing my rev limiter...
Generally you should either upgrade your ECU or get your car tuned and make sure the ECU is remapped so your rev limiter is reinstated to where it should be.

curtis265
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Take a look at the US 8thcivic site, they have ECU reflashes that you may be interested in.