PDA

View Full Version : EG5 Tacho Problems

eg5civic
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
So a few days ago my tacho started playing up

At first it would sit about 500rpm higher than what it should be when cruising on the highway at 110km/h but then it would just drop back to the normal 3500-3700rpm or so

Now its just constantly sitting on around 4000rpm at 110km/h, i'm assuming it cant be a mechanical problem as you cant change the rpm a motor turns at, at a certain speed due to the gearing right?

Anyone have some insight as to whats gone wrong with the cluster?

Any helps appreciated.

Thanks

Boban
03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
have you tried another cluster to see if that changes anything???

[[d a n n y]]
03-04-2010, 06:39 AM
is it just your tacho?
does your engine sounds like it's reving normal?
Does Idle sound normal?

eg5civic
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah motor sounds like its revving normal.

As i said i'd be driving and the needle would just move back to the proper rpm, but now, it just constantly sits 500rpm higher.

Is it possible for a motor to be revving higher than it should be in 5th gear, when gearing determines engine rpm??

And also no i havent changed to another tacho i dont have a spare.

EduardoGTR
04-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah motor sounds like its revving normal.

As i said i'd be driving and the needle would just move back to the proper rpm, but now, it just constantly sits 500rpm higher.

Is it possible for a motor to be revving higher than it should be in 5th gear, when gearing determines engine rpm??

And also no i havent changed to another tacho i dont have a spare.

a few months ago I use to have the same problem, when it start the tach rev like crazy but the rps keeps stable. At the beginning it wasn't a big deal , then i change the ignition coil for a new one , doing the process I notice that the wires lose the insulation thaks to the oil vapor coming for the oil lick coming from the shaft retainer. To fix it I use electric Mastic Tape to remplace the insulation, be careful whit the old wire they tend to break in the sensor union.

EduardoGM

[[d a n n y]]
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
if that is the case
def your tach is out of wack it seems