PDA

View Full Version : VTEC not kicking in.

aznstyler
03-04-2010, 12:32 AM
hey guys, i got a b18c in my eg.. and vtec isnt kicking in, solenoid has been changed already, what should i check?? Im located in melbourne, if anyone is free to meet up and have a look Please let me know !!

I want to do a ECU check but..

http://i43.tinypic.com/ip2gdv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lw2jbn.jpg

VTec1987
03-04-2010, 12:35 AM
how do you know its not working? check engine light on?

TheSaint
03-04-2010, 02:10 AM
lol ... if i had a dollar for every thread like this

aznstyler
03-04-2010, 02:51 AM
i cant hear the crossover.. i tried doing a ecu check..... put this is what i found, wtf is this??

jks24
03-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Has the cAr got oil/enough oil in it?

aznstyler
03-04-2010, 06:10 AM
yeh, cars been serviced recently oil change

TheSaint
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
did you warm it up properly 1st?

vtec wont engage unless the car is warm + the oil pressure is right ... so make sure u check the oil levels cold (check it anyway even if it was serviced still check it), make sure ur coolant lvl is right, now start the car and let it idle until the temp gauge reads correct operating temp, drive it around the block once before doing a good solid run to check vtec ... if u do all this and its still not working than there maybe a problem with it

but seriously theres like a MILLION threads like this in the noob forum ... u should be able to find an answer by searching

TheSaint
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
i cant hear the crossover.. i tried doing a ecu check..... put this is what i found, wtf is this??

looks like an ECU to me ... what exactly is it that u snapped a photo of in the first pic??

tiksie
03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Your meant to put a paperclip into the blue plug with 2 inputs.

Than you check for CEL codes on your dash.

VTec1987
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Is it b18c type r or non type r?

cheapdouchebag
03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
did you warm it up properly 1st?

vtec wont engage unless the car is warm + the oil pressure is right ... so make sure u check the oil levels cold (check it anyway even if it was serviced still check it), make sure ur coolant lvl is right, now start the car and let it idle until the temp gauge reads correct operating temp, drive it around the block once before doing a good solid run to check vtec ... if u do all this and its still not working than there maybe a problem with it

but seriously theres like a MILLION threads like this in the noob forum ... u should be able to find an answer by searching

saint u make vtec sound so sensitive to what you do to it =[
i just warm up untill the needle at least rises up to the gauge area. and yet vtec kicks in fine, not fantastic but mind you haha

geeang
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
saint u make vtec sound so sensitive to what you do to it =[
i just warm up untill the needle at least rises up to the gauge area. and yet vtec kicks in fine, not fantastic but mind you haha

And by hitting vtec when you've barely warmed up you'd be doing a little extra damage to your engine each time.

amant02
03-04-2010, 11:44 PM
really got to suck to be you.

aznstyler
04-04-2010, 06:29 AM
what ecu is that?? is it a proper b18c ecu or something eles?

TheSaint
04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah thats not a good idea ... the pressure would only just be enough and u are hitting high rpm on a cold engine - not good

vtec isnt touchy ... but it needs to be treated right

dougie_504
04-04-2010, 04:18 PM
^^^ Yep, never thrash a cold car. Make sure it's at or very near it's normal operating temperature before you go hammering around. Oil needs to be the right temp.

hondaEK4
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
And by hitting vtec when you've barely warmed up you'd be doing a little extra damage to your engine each time.

+1 damage!

aznstyler
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
i knw all that, can someone help me with the ecu?

MM89
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
VTIR - P72 ECU
Type R - P73 ECU

it should say on the ecu itself

aznstyler
05-04-2010, 06:00 AM
hmm i will check that, but does the wiring look right?

aznstyler
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
its p-72-901... but the two blue clips are not plugged into anything.

MM89
06-04-2010, 01:24 AM
I personally cannot tell if the wiring is correct based on the image you have provided.
However, if you're saying that you have a P72 ECU, I assume you have the B18C VTIR motor.

It uses the dual stage butterfly intake manifold which is designed to increase the amount of power/torque available
at the lower end of the rev range to make day to day driving (low rpm) a little easier. Hence the jump into vtec mode
is probably smoother as power is already focused on low end and less of a gain in achieved with mild vtec cams
i.e. the hardly noticeable 'crossover'.
type R has longer duration and higher lift cams, it'll be more noticeable.

Once the engine rpm reaches around (6800rpm from memory), the second stage butterfly will be activated to allow more airflow.
The actual vtec crossover itself will not be as noticeable as the opening of the secondary butterfly on a relatively stock motor.
Chuck in I/H/E and you will notice a distinct crossover so to speak.

If the Integra harness was not used and the original wiring did not contain a wire for the vtec solenoid, make sure that is wired in.

Something else to consider is the condition of the thermostat. If the thermostat is not allowing the car to warm up to operating temperature, vtec will not engage.

Also any dents in your sump? Oil pump in good working order? Oil pickup? A weak or non existent vtec crossover could also be due to lack of oil pressure I believe.

aznstyler
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
hey guys, i just rewired my vtec solienoid and my vtec works now, but on idle my car is reving itself and making a tapping/click sound every 20seconds? even if when the engine is hot. whats wrong? i have a b18c1. i have just serviced my car aswell, new oil, filter, and spark plugs. If i disconnect my solenoid it stops and it idles fine

GenesisEG
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
You probably wired up your VTEC solenoid to be permanently on... Are you sure you wired the solenoid up to the right output on the ECU?

drated
07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
hey u know what, i had this problem one time and it was just my air flow sensor on me cai which was in the wrong position and i just moved it around and now its all good

aznstyler
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
hrmm, can someone telll me where to wire it? so ill double check the wiring

migoreng
07-04-2010, 08:25 PM
+1 damage!

it's sad how i see a people flooring a car when cold...some people have fast cars but just don't know how to take care of them.
i see a few people regularly...they start their car and within 10-15seconds they just want to take off fast..vrroomm pshhsst phsst and more pshhsstt LOL why??? that's not good for a cold engine...
i always drive for 10-15mins before giving my car some vtec...
;)