PDA

View Full Version : trouble starting / battery problems

RandyRhydah
03-04-2010, 06:05 AM
im back with yet another problem guys. my car (eg b18c) is very slow to start most times, even straight after driving with a fully charged battery.

all the dash lights dim as it trys to crank, and some times pauses in the middle of cranking. when it does crank though it always starts. but even after sitting just 1 day from 7 untill 4 it wont start unless i jump start it.

i havent installed any new electrical things since the problem started happening all i did was leave a door open and have the battery run flat. since thenn its been happening even with a different battery.

i noticed yesterday that the earth from my gearbox to the chassis was very hot to touch and acually burnt my finger when i touched it. do you think my engine isnt earthed properly? i was told it could even be my altinator although after a spirited drive the other day the battery did read 12.5 volts and so did the wire at the starter motor.

i did a battery relocation AFTER the problem started happening to the boot running 4 guage power wire, but the same time changed to a different battery. as i said the battery and the power cable for the starter both read the same voltage but maybe the wire could be to thin? i read online that 4 gauge is more then enough.

anyway im pretty much starting from scratch and not sure about anything so any info would be awesome.

cheers guys

riruiz_88
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
its normal for an earth cable to be hot, its a natural thing when a current passes through a conductor.
run some tests on the ICM and tranny in the distributor. as for the thickness of the cable of the new battery location, i would rather use a very thick cable so you dont run into any chances of having a voltage drop.
hope this helps out a lil man :thumbup:

if you need the test readings let me know

RandyRhydah
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
acually i just went and started the car this morning and it acually started with the new battery without being jump started (although again feeling a bit ill.... so maybe i am getting a voltage drop due to cranking over the engine... will take it out to the workshop and get the multimeter on it and see how it goes..

RandyRhydah
10-04-2010, 07:00 AM
ok i still have this problem, it happens with my old dead battery a big heavy duty 4x4 battery and my new deka battery. some times it wil be fine and fire up with no problem at all, and some times it will give it a half assed half rotation try then stop then another half assed try and stop, then just start going click click click.

i checked my battery voltage and its still 12.08 and wont start. the battery is back in the engine bay using the stock lines for the fuse box and starter and a new 4 guage earth going to the top suspension nut on the battery side. i havent installed any other electric accesories to the car since the problem started other then an aem uego but that was about 3 weeks before the problem started and its switching off and everything when the car is off.

so i have no idea what could be up, the battery is brand new and when it decides to crank it cranks perfectly.

also when it doesnt start when you jump start it its fine aswell.

shoot me any reasons for this and i can start trouble shooting

thanks guys

bennjamin
10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
click clikc sounds like your STARTER MOTOR is failing / bad ground.

Disconnect the NEGATIVE on the battery , then locate your starter motoro and make sure the POWER and GROUND on it are tight/firm. Then check the GEARBOX-CHASSIS ground is firm and not frayed , also check the THERMOSTAT HOUSING ground if its firmly held/not frayed

RandyRhydah
10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
ok thanks ill have a look.. i was thinking it was the grounding aswell because its only started since i was playing with the thermostat / starter motor.

RandyRhydah
10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
all the grounds seemed alright.. so i took out the starter motor and will get an auto electrician to check it out on monday..