PDA

View Full Version : What Honda Australia says about Paint protection to new Honda

praja6
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Something interesting.. I rang Honda Australia 1800 hotline and mentioned i bought the new Euro in silver metallic color and asked do i really need a paint protection that dealers selling it between 695 to 1000.

THe guy said well...its up to you...If you park your car outside the paint protection may worth it, there is no yes or no answer...I asked him so do you think the Honda paint would fade after few years. He said as for recommended in handbook it may fade if you don't wash or look after the car, but with paint protection it may worth to keep the shine for long time he said..

I asked him the corrosion warranty comes with Honda rite. He said Thats only if it get corrosion, not with paint fading...

I am bit surprised, If Hond australia thinks their cars got with good paint, they could have said no its not necessary....

This is one of the car broker advised me about paint protection and pay extra..

" Yes I definitely think you should be paying for the paint protection, the reason the dealership is offering it to you is that Honda’s are renowned for paint fade after 4-5 years as the Honda Manufacturing plant it Thailand use a blend of polyurethane metallic candy apple paint, which when applied to a motor vehicle does look great with a unique finish, the down side is the paint will not last untreated on its own, so by doing the paint protection you will not have to respray the car prior to selling it."..

What the dealer tried to sell me was 2 types, One was basic teflon based paint protection and other is something called nano based something which they mentioned it bonded with honda paint and will shines for ever...

Also see this NRMA Blogs (website http://www.mynrmacommunity.com/motoring/2009/07/27/new-car-protection-packages/) saying there is no evidance these protection stuffs been tested for australian condition..

It may or may not work.....

What i am thinking is definately not gona get paint protection with my new Euro and lets see how it goes over the years...

VIDSEURO
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Praja

If you are parking your car in the garage regularly then no need for the paint protection.
I have the same colour as you its called Buran Silver.
Mate dont waste your money and shout your wife on a nice holiday...

nickxau
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
interesting bit of information there... also, just want to point out the the CU2 is made in Japan and not Thailand so it wouldn't be using Thailand paint.

Apple, candy, maple syrup, vanilla cinnamon what!?!?!?:confused:

SPQR
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
" Yes I definitely think you should be paying for the paint protection, the reason the dealership is offering it to you is that Honda’s are renowned for paint fade after 4-5 years as the Honda Manufacturing plant it Thailand use a blend of polyurethane metallic candy apple paint, which when applied to a motor vehicle does look great with a unique finish, the down side is the paint will not last untreated on its own, so by doing the paint protection you will not have to respray the car prior to selling it.".

Marketing mumbo-jumbo. Polyurethane is one of the better performers in the sun! Candy Apple is a colour that is popular in the USA. The broker is probably getting a cut from the dealer.

Also see this NRMA Blogs (website http://www.mynrmacommunity.com/motoring/2009/07/27/new-car-protection-packages/) saying there is no evidance these protection stuffs been tested for australian condition..

NRMA is right. Also, the major motoring magazines often do articles on things like this as well as on buying cars. Their advice is consistently that the dealers make a lot of money from "paint protection", like all extras they sell, and that there is no evidence that it works. Same goes for rust protection.

I suggest that you save the money.

aaronng
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Paint protection is a sealant. Nothing special about it.

praja6
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Hi GUys, thanks for the info. there is 2 thing. One was Honda AUstralia, when i rang the 1800 hotline was not sure he said yaa yeaaa its up to you...

But something makes me to think about what one of the car broker i dealt with(he didnt give me the best deal, the good deal i got for my EUro is i did the shop around with all of you guys help here with the price range...)gave some comments about paint protection and he also mentioned about insurance companies prefer that as well..

Below is the full email from one of the car broker

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Raja, I hope you are well.

Yes I definitely think you should be paying for the paint protection, the reason the dealership is offering it to you is that Honda’s are renowned for paint fade after 4-5 years as the Honda Manufacturing plant it Thailand use a blend of polyurethane metallic candy apple paint, which when applied to a motor vehicle does look great with a unique finish, the down side is the paint will not last untreated on its own, so by doing the paint protection you will not have to respray the car prior to selling it.

It does make the paint 100% scratch resistant for the life of the vehicle(as Paint Protection has a life time warranty) if you happen to get a scratch on your car or somebody does the unthinkable and scratches it for you taking off the colour you will be able to take it the people that applied the paint protection and if they cant fix it ,they will paint that section of the car for you. It also makes the car stone chip resistant, so it is possible to drive right behind behind large trucks and not worry about stones jumping up and hitting your car and causing damage.

As Sydney does suffer from heavy acid rain and very strong UV cause by both pollution and the sun, this is more reason to get the paint protection. Put it this way paint protection is like sun screen on your skin, some races like Aboriginals’ or Indians don’t require protection from the sun as their skin is very durable and tolerable it but people from England or Antarctica who have very white skin will suffer majorly from prolonged exposure. A Honda is like the person from England or Antarctica, they need ALLOT of Sun Screen, so your car need paint protection.

Also insurance companies look very favorable on vehicles with paint protection, they see it as the customer taking his own insurance on the paint which will help reduce your annual premium by up to 25%.

The only cars in the current Australian range of imported vehicles that have SPF 40+ is the Mazda6 and Mazda3 range, these are the only vehicles that definitely don’t require paint protection.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your new Honda purchase.

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm interesting...Whtever happen i am just gona get my car as is, one of my friend said he got tint for only 200, i was amazed they quoted me 499 normal price...geeee

Min988
04-04-2010, 08:28 AM
That dealership is overselling paint protection, they are making it sound like a car bra, a layer of sealant isnt going to stop stone chips and make it scratch resistance. When shopping for a new car the walk-off is your best weapon.

aaronng
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Below is the full email from one of the car broker

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Raja, I hope you are well.

Yes I definitely think you should be paying for the paint protection, the reason the dealership is offering it to you is that Honda’s are renowned for paint fade after 4-5 years as the Honda Manufacturing plant it Thailand use a blend of polyurethane metallic candy apple paint, which when applied to a motor vehicle does look great with a unique finish, the down side is the paint will not last untreated on its own, so by doing the paint protection you will not have to respray the car prior to selling it.
Your Euro is made in JAPAN. Not Thailand. They are trying to scare you into buying paint protection.

It does make the paint 100% scratch resistant for the life of the vehicle(as Paint Protection has a life time warranty) if you happen to get a scratch on your car or somebody does the unthinkable and scratches it for you taking off the colour you will be able to take it the people that applied the paint protection and if they cant fix it ,they will paint that section of the car for you. It also makes the car stone chip resistant, so it is possible to drive right behind behind large trucks and not worry about stones jumping up and hitting your car and causing damage.
No it does not make the paint scratch resistant. If you read the paint protection warranty statement, it says it DOES NOT cover scratches! It also does not make your car stone chip resistant. Those part is pure BS, and the broker is trying to trick you again.

As Sydney does suffer from heavy acid rain and very strong UV cause by both pollution and the sun, this is more reason to get the paint protection. Put it this way paint protection is like sun screen on your skin, some races like Aboriginals’ or Indians don’t require protection from the sun as their skin is very durable and tolerable it but people from England or Antarctica who have very white skin will suffer majorly from prolonged exposure. A Honda is like the person from England or Antarctica, they need ALLOT of Sun Screen, so your car need paint protection.
I have to say.... OMG..... This guy is on drugs. You can get the same UV protection by applying paint sealant from a $40 bottle (for 473ml, good for 10 applications).

Also insurance companies look very favorable on vehicles with paint protection, they see it as the customer taking his own insurance on the paint which will help reduce your annual premium by up to 25%.
No they don't. You don't get an insurance premium discount for having paint protection. This broker is very shifty and is trying to trick you again.

The only cars in the current Australian range of imported vehicles that have SPF 40+ is the Mazda6 and Mazda3 range, these are the only vehicles that definitely don’t require paint protection.
BS again. Car paint does not have an SPF rating.

I would totally disregard that broker's advice as there are many errors and lies in it trying to trick you into buying paint protection.

redefine
04-04-2010, 01:15 PM
lol. dont believe anything the dealer tells you...he will literally tell you anything if he thinks it will lead to a sale

praja6
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes seems like the dealer, they didnt get any profit or very marginal profit on sold the car on me. Got the 2010 jan built euro base model auto in buron silver metallic with Honda rear park sensor, 5yr warranty and premium number plate drive away for 34500(as you can see honda drive away rrp in sydney is 40270 plus those rear sensor and warranty rrp nearly 1600(but tht cost them much less). I notice the salesy guy and his manager face has no smile at all after they gave me that deal..

Thats why the customer service/relations guy first quoted me all those paint protection, under guard rust protection, vynal, wax guard and all sort of protection you name it, i even forgotten most of the names etc etc for 2500(,gave me all types of videos showing etc etc and told me every single reason to sell me). I said no, no no.. He then show me individual prices for all protections it cost add up total around 3300 something in his screen. Then said the paint protection is 1000 he said for me today he can give it to me 695. I said again no.. Then he said if i get paint protection for 695, for extra $1 he can do tint and extra $1 for floor matt, whcih all these 3 together for 697 and he can adjust the cost in alfa romeo he sold to another guy(seems like whoever the guy bought alfa romeo got ripped off with all sort of protection stuffs). I again said no no need.He still said i can think about it before i pick up the car next week..

I can see frustration on that guy after explaining all sort of stuffs for more than 45mins no luck, finally told me hmm you seems like a very tight guy with very tight budget ah..after i said no no no for everything. I told him yes man, i can do these things cheap outside as i got a friend he can do it for less than 1/3 price..lol...

But still my mind was thinking after came home, is tht really worth.. WHat if the paint got rusted or faded within 5yrs time? then only i asked advise with that broker once i asked him for price 4months ago(he didnt get me good deal on the car, i shop around and got tht 34500 deal) and his email i posted up, seems he was giving me all sort of positive backup for what the dealers are trying to sell...

For sure i am going to park the car in my garage and then under cover park in my work. The car may meet acid rain or UV rays from very hot season during my travel up and down to work....

thegame888
05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Dealers are suss. Period.

Good on you for doing your own research.

aaronng
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
But still my mind was thinking after came home, is tht really worth.. WHat if the paint got rusted or faded within 5yrs time? then only i asked advise with that broker once i asked him for price 4months ago(he didnt get me good deal on the car, i shop around and got tht 34500 deal) and his email i posted up, seems he was giving me all sort of positive backup for what the dealers are trying to sell...

For sure i am going to park the car in my garage and then under cover park in my work. The car may meet acid rain or UV rays from very hot season during my travel up and down to work....
Paint protection won't protect against paint fading or rusting within 5 years. I think the sealant wears out within 2 years or so.

m0nty ITR
05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
It's all crap. At Mercedes Benz we don't offer any paint protection products. Mercedes Benz use a ceramic paint which doesn't require any sealant or coating to retain it's colour. After working in dealer land for 6 years I have never heard of paint protection reducing fade. They have just sold you a car so cheap they're trying to put more money into the deal. Walk away now.

Paint protection won't protect against paint fading or rusting within 5 years. I think the sealant wears out within 2 years or so.

And in their T&C they also mention using only their shampoo products and returning every 12 months for reapplication at an additional cost. It's all a complete scam.

praja6
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi guys

THe customer relationship guy from Honda rang me again(not the sales guy i got deal of the car)and asked am i interested in paint protection for 695, plus extra 1 for matt and extra 1 for tint. I told him big no.... He said why don't you get it, this paint protection is by Honda, not after market...and Honda paint protection comes with lifetime warranty. YOu right, for the life time warranty who knows how many pages of fine prints you have to read.... This is the first time i heard someone saying Honda is doing this paint protection business, He said he is trying to help me.. I asked him to give me matt for 1, he said No sir, we already sold you the car for very good price more than 7k off for the normal drive away price with accessories rear sensor and 5yr warranty..I told him i will lookafter my car carefully..

Oh man, seems he is very keen on getting some money from me with these paint protection stuffs...Now i realise how annoying with these sales and customer relations people when purchasing a new car. I bet you guys, even if i take my car this end of the week, this guy gona keep asking me for the PP stuffs ....

aaronng
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
That is how they make the money. They will keep dropping the price on your and giving you discounts until you say yes. :p And there is no such thing as Honda paint protection. :)
They make a lot of profit from non-Honda extras like tinting, reverse sensors and paint protection. For Honda accessories like the floor mat, they make less profit, so they will be reluctant to give it to you for cheap.

You can see the list of official Honda extras here: http://euro.honda.com.au/optional-extras.aspx
They have leather protectant cream, but no paint protection listed there. Even the reverse sensor is not there.

praja6
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi Aarong,

In the genuine Honda accessories, the reverse sensor is there with the name called "rear park assist" under protection, just before mudguard set. Thats why i pushed him to give me Genuine Honda rear park assist(the invoice/contract says Honda rear park assist), which they mention normal rrp is 950 something and the after market one(you can get from same as in ebay for under 100)is very cheap.. He tried to give me local rear park assist and said its excatly as same as honda genuine rear park assist, I told him i need only genuine one and then he said Ok without any smiles..

But now my question is how do we differenciate between aftermarket rear sensor and genuine Honda one.....

Would they cheat?.. I doubt a big dealer like Rick would do such thing...

Thanks

aaronng
05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Aarong,

In the genuine Honda accessories, the reverse sensor is there with the name called "rear park assist" under protection, just before mudguard set. Thats why i pushed him to give me Genuine Honda rear park assist(the invoice/contract says Honda rear park assist), which they mention normal rrp is 950 something and the after market one(you can get from same as in ebay for under 100)is very cheap.. He tried to give me local rear park assist and said its excatly as same as honda genuine rear park assist, I told him i need only genuine one and then he said Ok without any smiles..
Ahh, I missed that. Yeah, genuine is the way to go. They make less profit and he must have been unhappy that he couldn't sell you the cheap one for bigger profit.

But now my question is how do we differenciate between aftermarket rear sensor and genuine Honda one.....

Would they cheat?.. I doubt a big dealer like Rick would do such thing...

Thanks
Hope not, but you can look at it and comparing the design to the proper one. The Honda one has a thin ring around it.
http://webservices.honda.com.au/resources.ashx/Accessories/81/ImageZoom/7E7518E70C1EC4EC6282AF91C5EF2191/access_1.jpg

The other way is to compare the zones. The Honda park assist has specific beeping frequency for each distance range. You can test with this:
ZONE 1 - 90 ~ 140 cm - 3 beeps per second
ZONE 2 - 60 ~ 90 cm - 5 beeps per second
ZONE 3 - 30 ~ 60 cm - 8 beeps per second
FINAL ZONE - 0 ~ 30 cm - Continuous tone

Source: http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/Honda.com.au/Home/Owners/Accessories/Rear+Park+Assist/

praja6
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
haha Yes mate, i think thats why he showed me his unhappy with refused to give me floormatt for cheap and asking me pay 200 plus for it.. yes he did tell me the normal price difference between genuine and after market one is 400 something. Yeap, he was trying to justify the after market one is same as honda genuine one, except pricing. Just wondering, are these Honda salesguy are let to drive Honda car such as Euro or accord something? Seems like they just read the manual and just explain yada yada....As he could not answer one my question when i asked about the left side mirror flip when change the gear into reverse...He was blank.... Then i show him in the car which was in display. Then he said Ah yes yes i know what you mean...geee....

denot
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey Raja,

If you really want to go with paint protection, dont get it from Honda dealer. period.

get it from somewhere else where the owner/worker is a car enthusiast as well (e.g. Dave from RefflectEffect)

cheers mate

HunterZero
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, paint protection is a scam. Just get it detailed and sealant added by someone like Dr Detail every 1-2 years or whenever you think it needs it, car will look very good for a long time.

Trying to tell you that paint protection stops stone chips though is blatantly dishonest. I'd be demanding to talk to a different sales manager if they tried that on me.

Once you've signed on the line, then you have no real chance to haggle for genuine accessories like mats etc. But since dealers make such a huge margin on paint protection, that's why they're putting the hard sell on you for that.

I remember when they tried to sell paint protection to me... The lady in charge of selling 'protection' products had a folder that was 1/2 nice metal, 1/2 rusted bubbled metal, which I found very funny, much to her chagrin. After I politely declined all her wares, she looked huffed and as she left she said, "Well don't blame me when your car looks like this!", indicating the rusty folder! LOL!

But Honda clearcoat is notoriously soft and sticky. If you don't have undercover parking, it is a good idea to use a paint sealant. But you can easily apply it yourself or employ a detailer to do it, don't pay the dealer a premium to do this for you. There's a good chance that the person the dealer employs to do the 'paint protection' will be an inexperienced numpty, and leave your car in bad condition, with swirls/holograms in the new paint.

- HZ

EGB18CT
06-04-2010, 04:11 PM
yeah its a scam.

If you really want it get a detail from finalinspection (Damian) or Dave at reflect... Forget Honda crap put on by a shitty panel shop or num nut.

I got a huge discount on our car to 7-8k, and also tried this (guy showed me only made $250 on the car thru their p&l) He already knew i was informed about honda's, knew heaps so they didn't really push hard - it was more me egging him on that we will service at his dept etc. pfft whatever lol They even quietly said they will hand me over to the aftermarket sales chick trying to sell me her crap lol... so they knew. I let her explain (wasted her time lol) then said, nah i got friends in the biz that can do it for me and that was it, she quickly packed up and left lol/

Just be firm, if they keep persisting, tell them to g.f.

omda71
07-04-2010, 03:34 PM
from experience, go with the paint protection.
I bought my euro late 07 and was brand new black in color and the dealer suggested paint protection for 600$ and i refused. and it was a fatal mistake, if anything drops on the car it leaves a permanent mark or stain. I had a second hand 03 prado and never faced this problem, both car parks at the same place and both used to drive to the same places, so when I traded in my old prado for the new prado, I made sure it was paint protected the classic protection and the environmental one by motor one they charge around 200$ each and the dealer quoted 600 each and the use motor one!!!!!!.
paint protection is must, it makes the car easier to clean, less prone to damage from tree sap and bird droppings.

denot
07-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I bought my euro late 07 and was brand new black in color and the dealer suggested paint protection for 600$ and i refused. and it was a fatal mistake, if anything drops on the car it leaves a permanent mark or stain. I had a second hand 03 prado and never faced this problem, both car parks at the same place and both used to drive to the same places, so when I traded in my old prado for the new prado, I made sure it was paint protected the classic protection and the environmental one by motor one they charge around 200$ each and the dealer quoted 600 each and the use motor one!!!!!!.
paint protection is must, it makes the car easier to clean, less prone to damage from tree sap and bird droppings.

paint protection is a must, but not from dealer... like I said my bro in law got one $800 (but discounted to $550) and the next day, you can see all swirl marks etc on his new black Jazz... I dont get any paint protection from dealer, just detail the car myself (lazyly) still get better result than his 1 day old car with $800 paint protection.

HunterZero
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I bought my euro late 07 and was brand new black in color and the dealer suggested paint protection for 600$ and i refused. and it was a fatal mistake, if anything drops on the car it leaves a permanent mark or stain.

I assure you, you could have got the same deal for substantially less directly from a detailer.

I have a mid-07 black Euro, and it still looks great. But then, I do maintain the paint properly, and garage it. A good sealant will last a good part of a year, and proper washing technique will avoid swirls and scratches.

BZZZT, wrong. In my experience, paint protection does little to nothing. It won't stop paint burn from acid in bird droppings, and if this does happen, it can infact cost you big $$$ to have the protection re-applied.

Tree sap typically sticks and is a pain to remove with or without paint protection. Usually the damage is done actually trying to remove the tree sap.

Swirling and marring from washes are the biggest problem with dark paint, and no amount of paint protection will stop these appearing if you are washing the car wrong.

I have no paint protection, and find the car dead easy to clean, using the right gear - a lambswool or microfibre wash mitt, separate mitt for the wheels, microfibre towels, using two buckets, plus giving the car a regular application of top quality wax. Plus I keep quick detailer in the boot for touch-ups or bird poo. And a clay bar is magic for decontaminating paint prior to re-applying polish, sealant and wax.

My wife had a red Holden and opted for paint protection, but it faded just as fast and stained just as regularly as if it didn't have the protection. They even re-applied it for us free of charge, but within a couple of months it had faded again. If the car is losing its finish sooner, it's more likely to be bad quality paint or bad care.

It's quite telling that for every positive thing someone says about paint protecton, there are 20 people who say it isn't worth it. Learn to apply a good sealant yourself, and if you aren't into the DIY detailing, don't buy a dark coloured car, you will save a lot of $$$.

And definitely don't get it through the dealer, go direct to a detailer. Don't get a 'paint protection system', just get an application of a decent sealant.

What colour was your Prado, silver?

- HZ

furythree
07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
actually i got a question. if the paint protection is bogus, and im after something that kinda seals the paint like a layer of laquer does for timber. then what should i be looking at? invisible car bra? stone chips is not a big issue. im just sick and tired of scratches from fingernails near my door handle and the lip of the boot.

aaronng
07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
actually i got a question. if the paint protection is bogus, and im after something that kinda seals the paint like a layer of laquer does for timber. then what should i be looking at? invisible car bra? stone chips is not a big issue. im just sick and tired of scratches from fingernails near my door handle and the lip of the boot.
A good synthetic sealant. I use Meg's #21. NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is pretty reasonable too.

nickxau
07-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Where do you buy your detailing stuff aaron? SCA has only a small range of Meg's pro stuff, was gonna buy the #21 when they had the 20% off sale but didn't find any.

Please don't say Autobarn, please don't say Autobarn...

aaronng
08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Where do you buy your detailing stuff aaron? SCA has only a small range of Meg's pro stuff, was gonna buy the #21 when they had the 20% off sale but didn't find any.

Please don't say Autobarn, please don't say Autobarn...
I buy mine from Meguiar's in Silverwater. The address is 35 Slough Business Park, Holker Street, Silverwater NSW 2128. It is right across the road from Silverwater jail. Pricing is RRP, so they are not as cheap as SCA/Autobarn/Repco, but you can find the WHOLE range there. I even have a Meg's boot organiser for my detailing stuff. When I go to buy there, I wash my car first because they are detailers and they will check out your car from upstairs. :p

For the other states, I'd look at Autobarn, SCA and Repco. Not all of them have #21 because it used to be for professional detailers so they sold it in 1.9L bottles! But about 2 years ago, I saw that they sold #21 in 473ml bottles at Meguiars, so it seems that it is starting to be sold to retail end users. If you can't find #21, then use NXT Tech Wax 2.0. Version 2.0 is much better than the original and is almost like #21 but in a thicker liquid form with a nice smell. #21 smells like wet socks after soccer on a rainy day.

tron07
08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
It's all crap. At Mercedes Benz we don't offer any paint protection products. Mercedes Benz use a ceramic paint which doesn't require any sealant or coating to retain it's colour. After working in dealer land for 6 years I have never heard of paint protection reducing fade. They have just sold you a car so cheap they're trying to put more money into the deal. Walk away now.

And in their T&C they also mention using only their shampoo products and returning every 12 months for reapplication at an additional cost. It's all a complete scam.

I didnt know mercs comes with ceramic sealant....

ceramic paint are way harder then the normal clear coat thus you dont really need to be bother with telfon or these paint protection stuffs. I have read that one guy was restoring his E30 BMW coupe and had his car painted and ceramic coating applied. Once it cured, the paint shop owner took the car to the detailer next door to have it polished, and the detailers underquote the time and pricing cause they didnt know how hard the ceramic coating was.

As for paint protection, if you wash and wax your car often, forget about it. but if you are those who are lazy to wash and wax, maybe just wash it every bluemoon, then paint protection is good.

aaronng
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
As for paint protection, if you wash and wax your car often, forget about it. but if you are those who are lazy to wash and wax, maybe just wash it every bluemoon, then paint protection is good.
Once, I washed my Euro after 1.5 years of driving to work and back. The car was FILTHY. However, after washing, the paint was still shiny because of the #21 sealant. In comparison, my commodore was waxed with paste wax and just after 6 months, the paint feels very dry and flakey. If you wash the car, clay and then apply a good sealant, it can last over a year if you don't wash or rub the paint with your hands or bum. The $40 bottle + effort is actually doing the same thing as the $900 paint protection (which also lasts only about 2 years)

tron07
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I use NXT myself..... after 3.5 years, not much swirl marks on my car and never polish it before.

HunterZero
09-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Well - By 'paint protection', we mean a sealant you either apply yourself or pay a detailer directly to do it for you. Don't get the dealer to organise it, or it will cost you three times more than it should.

- HZ

MZ3
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
As people have said above.. Paint protection = waste of money. The $600 they claim it costs can be spent on products to protect the car for a good 5~6 years. When i bought my car 3 years ago.. the dealer pushed for all these paint protection stuff. I just denied them straight away. My friend bought the same car as me at the same time and he paid for the extra paint protection. 3 years on and its actually my car that looks alot better than his.

Do it yourself and you'll appreciate it more.

Buy a good synthetic sealant. Many on the market from Duragloss clear coat protection to Final Inspection Seal. Usually you can apply this 1/2 yearly or yearly.. and it wont cost you more than $30~$40. Obviously clay and use a paint cleaner before hand.. Possibly a 1~2 stage polish to remove any imperfections in the paintwork.

If you dont have much time to take care of your car, go with a synthetic wax to give the car a lil more protection. I probably suggest Optimum Car Wax [OCW, can be bought from Final Inspection Melb or Carcareproducts in Sydney] Easy to apply, great UV protection, Very good sheeting properties and very quick.

MZ3
09-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I use NXT myself..... after 3.5 years, not much swirl marks on my car and never polish it before.

Thats because NXT wax contains fillers within the wax which actually hide the swirls on your paintwork

Type R Positive
10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Trying to tell you that paint protection stops stone chips though is blatantly dishonest. I'd be demanding to talk to a different sales manager if they tried that on me.

Yeah, that's usually the hot young chick that sells those 'protection' packs. $1000 for tint, $1000 for paint protection, $1000 for rust proofing......
They get the shits every time I say "before you start, I don't want any of your shit......"

Type R Positive
10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Thats because NXT wax contains fillers within the wax which actually hide the swirls on your paintwork

Yep, I use it to get me through to my next polish!

Phased
11-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Once, I washed my Euro after 1.5 years of driving to work and back. The car was FILTHY. However, after washing, the paint was still shiny because of the #21 sealant. In comparison, my commodore was waxed with paste wax and just after 6 months, the paint feels very dry and flakey. If you wash the car, clay and then apply a good sealant, it can last over a year if you don't wash or rub the paint with your hands or bum. The $40 bottle + effort is actually doing the same thing as the $900 paint protection (which also lasts only about 2 years)

For once, I actually disagree with you aaronng! No paint sealant will last 2 years with even semi-regular washing and exposure to the elements. SOME of these dealer "paint protection" products used to actually be 2-part Sealants (One Part Resin Sealant/Polish and Second part Chemical Binder and Hardener). Which will last twice as long as a good quality resin. (approx 6 months with regular washing). These are VERY rare now-a-days and usually synthetic resin polishes and wax (carnauba) are used.

The condition of your paint is effected to a greater amount by your washing techniques, environmental exposure and polishing/detail techniques. If you get the very best paint protection then go in to a self-serve car wash and use a brush... The entire process would be useless and your paint will be damaged.

Look at it logically... Urethane Clear coat is mixed with a base and a chemical hardener it is then sprayed (atomized) and then is left to dry/harden and bond to the surface. NOTHING short of ANOTHER clear coat will give you that same protection. I use synthetic sealants, they do work. However, they ARE NOT a Kevlar Shield for your car and your paint job will only be as durable as the paint itself.

Do not think for one minute that this paint protection is going to last. I have seen these "OEM" and Ming products first hand and within 6 months of washing twice a month if lucky, water no longer beads, swirls are evident and (minor) oxidization/acid has effected the paints surface...

My Detailing Process:
- Detail Wash
- Clay Bar
- Swirl Remover (PoorBoy's SSR 1/2.5 depending on paint condition)
- Clean over with an evaporative cleaner (I use glass cleaner, as it removes any oils and contaminates and leaves nothing on the surface)
- Sealant (PoorBoy's EX-P, One coat of sealant, Set in the shade over 20degrees for an hour and rub off, If I really want to extend the longevity of the sealant I will let this sealant cure for 24-48 hours, in the sun if possible, then wash if necessary and apply another coat. Good Quality Resin Polishes will have the ability to bond to prior coats)
- Optional: Carauba Wax... Not recommended for Protection however a good quality Carnauba wax will give an outsanding shine and depth to the paint. Particularly for darker colours.

This process Helps Reduces effect of bird droppings and the elements, Gives a nice deep shine and protects the paint from water marks, stains etc for about 2-3 months. After this the paint returns to it's usual state where it is still shiny however it gets effected by the elements easier and to a greater extent. Keep in mind that I wash my car every week.

I Recommend PoorBoy's however there are several other brands that offer great protection. I just think PoorBoy's ease of use, durability and value for money put's it ahead of the rest. Anything from Swissvax, Zaino, PoorBoy's, P21S etc. will be good. Meguire's products are good, however not as good as the majority of the competition... Particularly at their price point. I think Meguires Polishes are overpriced for their quality. However, that is just what my experience has shown me. Ensure whatever product you use, it is silicone free; silicone can reduce UV resistance and although can add some depth/shine it reduces longevity and protection.

ALWAYS HAND WASH, with a clean, good quality microfibre wash mitt. Use a PH Balanced Soap that does not effect sealants/polishes. Pre soak car and use a clean bucket with clean water and change mitt's/buckets for washing wheels, wheel arches, engine bay's etc.

aaronng
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
For once, I actually disagree with you aaronng! No paint sealant will last 2 years with even semi-regular washing and exposure to the elements. SOME of these dealer "paint protection" products used to actually be 2-part Sealants (One Part Resin Sealant/Polish and Second part Chemical Binder and Hardener). Which will last twice as long as a good quality resin. (approx 6 months with regular washing). These are VERY rare now-a-days and usually synthetic resin polishes and wax (carnauba) are used.
As I mentioned, I did not wash my car for 1.5 years, hence there was no mechanical scrubbing off of the sealant layer. Also, the 2 year figure is an estimated maximum. Like you said, not many will last that long due to abuse from improper washing or the automated car washes.

nickxau
12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
ALWAYS HAND WASH, with a clean, good quality microfibre wash mitt. Use a PH Balanced Soap that does not effect sealants/polishes.

You forgot the TBM :)

Phased
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
As I mentioned, I did not wash my car for 1.5 years, hence there was no mechanical scrubbing off of the sealant layer. Also, the 2 year figure is an estimated maximum. Like you said, not many will last that long due to abuse from improper washing or the automated car washes.

I saw that but I thought you referred to the 2-year figure to Manufacturer Paint Protection, not your own situation. Even if you only wash it once every couple of months, the dirt will embed itself into the surface, heat will cause deterioration and so will rain. Not to mention that when you finally do wash it... the dirt will be deep in the polishes surface... Which will reduce effectiveness of sealant and possibly scratch the paint underneath it. (Swirls).

You forgot the TBM :)

Should go without saying, good point though.

aaronng
12-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I saw that but I thought you referred to the 2-year figure to Manufacturer Paint Protection, not your own situation. Even if you only wash it once every couple of months, the dirt will embed itself into the surface, heat will cause deterioration and so will rain. Not to mention that when you finally do wash it... the dirt will be deep in the polishes surface... Which will reduce effectiveness of sealant and possibly scratch the paint underneath it. (Swirls).

With proper washing technique, that can be overcome. When I finally washed the car, I needed 2 buckets of car shampoo solution and the paint did feel rough, eventhough it was still shiny. All I did was clay back to its glass-smooth finish, apply a SSR1-level swirl remover by hand to remove the marring from claying and then reapplied the sealant.

Phased
12-04-2010, 07:54 PM
With proper washing technique, that can be overcome. When I finally washed the car, I needed 2 buckets of car shampoo solution and the paint did feel rough, eventhough it was still shiny. All I did was clay back to its glass-smooth finish, apply a SSR1-level swirl remover by hand to remove the marring from claying and then reapplied the sealant.

Haha. I swear you live on this forum! :-P

You use Poorboy's? :D

I find that with good washing technique the Poorboy's EX-P (single Layer) will provide good protection for about 8 weeks then it starts deteriorating fairly quickly... The shine and depth isn't necessarily effected drastically (as with most Urethane paint's once its polished and the swirls are removed the DOI(Distinctiveness/Detail of Image, a Gloss Measurement) is pretty close to the highest possible) it's more the resistance to the elements/stains and smoothness. Biggest thing with Urethane (Two-pack) paint is keeping it clean (regular claying, and proper washing) may not protect the paint but will bring out a good finish.