PDA

View Full Version : First Week with the VTI-L

VTI-L
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Everyone,

Thought I would give my impression with my MY10 VTI-L, So far has it just over a week, and have done about 500kms, my previous car (borrowed for 3 months when I transitioned from a fully maintained company car - was dragged kicking and screaming from it :) - was a BMW 330ci, so certainly a step change, but what I am finding is the little conveniences you don't think about in the BMW that you miss when you don't have it, more to follow down the page

Brought the car from Scott's Honda in Atartmon, and my salesman was Michael Browne and I want to say first of all the quality of customer service was brilliant from the sales, to keeping me informed about the progress of the car (2 Month Wait), and the delivery was seamless, a clear difference between them, and the 4 other dealers I visited in Sydney, and completely different to other car brands. I drove a very, very hard deal on the deal, which I gave them a right of reply for from another dealer. Would recommend them to speak to before going anywhere else.

Outside, Ordered the car in sparkle grey, and with the added tint, and fogs, it really sets the car off, paint finish perfect in every way when the car was delivered to my, no flaking, missed areas etc....as it should be

Inside, ahhh one thing that Honda has been able to achieve - in particular the Japanese produced cars - is the true new car smell, no other manufacture can compare. Dash is logically layed out, and there is one button to do one action - nice and simple, Biggest factor when purchasing the car was the driving position, I like to sit low to the ground, and stretched out - a lot of car in this class are comprised, by either offering no telescopic reach on the steering wheel, or you sitting on top of the car, rather than in it. Civic offered the best fit for the way I drive. Loving the opposed wipers, certainly different design, but make sense in terms of clear the windscreen,

The Drive - My previous car was a VE Commodore Sports-wagon (aka Repmobile) and the aforementioned BMW, both had 6 cyl engines, RWD, and enough power to get you out of most situations., plus I have always without thinking brought wither V8 or 6 Cyl car previously, so when this time came round, and having to spend money again on a car, I didn't even consider another powerful car - The drive is great, soft over Sydney rough roads, its more than able to keep up with the traffic on my way to work, quiet, and efficient. It actually like I am in my own little world with the windows up and some music on, one work relaxing. The first tank of fuel 3/4 took only about 200kms to go through, but not too concerned as its a brand new car.

Things I miss - driving the BMW for the last few months has actually made me miss a few convenience which i never really thought about, small thing I guess, but worth mentioning, things like - Auto Headlights, Auto Wipers,fuel consumption gauge, Dipping passenger mirror, when selecting reverse (particularity with the MY 10, flared out wheel design, a massive target for those stray gutters!!! once again these things are merely conveniences which you simply need to do yourself, not a real biggie

So far so good though guys, 1000kms inspection not too far off,

Any question guys feel free to shoot through

Cheers/S....

aero
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
good to see that ur enjoying ur civic. they obviously cant compare to a bmw, but they're pretty good for what they are.
welcome to ozhonda!

VTI-L
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks man, and thats exactly right, you can compare it to a car costing 4 times as much....but then it begs the question why anyone would pay that much for what is essentialy the same theme, with a few more toys!

Reclus
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I share ur excitement man, welcome to the world of Honda :)

and I can't agree more on the new car smell part haha

curtis265
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Good to read that you like the car, haha

Things I miss - driving the BMW for the last few months has actually made me miss a few convenience which i never really thought about, small thing I guess, but worth mentioning, things like - Auto Headlights, Auto Wipers,fuel consumption gauge, Dipping passenger mirror, when selecting reverse (particularity with the MY 10, flared out wheel design, a massive target for those stray gutters!!! once again these things are merely conveniences which you simply need to do yourself, not a real biggie

Auto headlights: Meh. It's bad if they on/off a lot, they'll reduce my HID bulb's life :P
Auto wipers: I hate using my wipers, i minimise the use as much as possible, especially since new ones are probably going to cost me an arm and a leg
Fuel consumption gauge: Probably lies to you, as most cars seeem to do.
Dipping passenger mirror: I quite like this idea! But we have convex mirrors anyway, and i usually leave my sidemirrors such that i can see behind quite well, as see downward
Flared wheel design: They look very, very sexy... You could always DIY that, i suppose, hahaha

VTI-L
04-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks man, Loving the car,

with the Flared wheel design, the VTI-L MY10 have a new design where the ally sticks out passed the tyre width - if that makes sense, so easier to gutter scrape

curtis265
04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
so they tyre's a bit stretched? (obviosuly not to this degree)
http://flushstance.ccwheel.com/wp-content/uploads/chris_mk4_jetta_03.jpg

Do you have the 5spoke wheels like i do? with brigstone ER30, 205/55/R16?

Reclus
04-04-2010, 09:33 PM
but i dislike the new wheel design

FD1 suits simple design wheels, in my opinion
5 spokes to 7 spokes is the best

CB7_OWNER
05-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Inside, ahhh one thing that Honda has been able to achieve - in particular the Japanese produced cars - is the true new car smell, no other manufacture can compare.

I thought the new civic's were made in thailand.?

VTI-L
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah they are man, stick ur head in a euro (Japan)vs jazz/civic(Thai), close the the new car smell is owned by honda

JaCe
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
In all fairness you did switch from a 330Ci (presumably an e46?) which was pretty much the flagship 3 series (not counting M cars) to the midrange Honda Civic which is in a very different league. That being said I've found the Civic does drive remarkably well for it's class. There are some features in (even older) BMWs which I wish made their way into more cars such as being able to leave one of your brake lights on when parked, and the seats which can stretch out.