PDA

View Full Version : amp recomendations for small sub

lerroy
13-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Hey guys

just adding a Sub to my system 10" sony those hexagon ones, i just want to add a bit of punch to the music..
i dont know much about amps, i am currently running JBL 4 channel running mb quart splits front and 6" mb quart rears
so i need second amp to run sub

would i be better getting mono amp ?
im not going to add any more subs just the one

looking around at brands JL MTX Alpine ?? what do you guys recomend ??

micka
13-12-2004, 09:22 AM
hard to say without a buget, but judging by your choice of sub you don't want to spend an overly excessive amount. Have you bought the sub already? Being a 4ohm single voice coil sub will be somewhat limiting in that you may not be getting the best out of your components.

If you haven't yet bought the sub, there may be some better options out there with dual 4 ohm voice coil, or single 2 ohm voice coil; then get an alpine mrp-m350 (v-power class d mono amp) or something similar. All depends on buget and what you want to achieve.

Or alternately, you could get a 2 channel amp and bridge it mono, to run the sub. most entry level 2 chan amps are 4 ohm stable in bridged mode, and will provide maximum power at that load.

LVNIT
13-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Yeah you are quite limited as to getting the most out of a nice Mono block amp.

A good quality 2 Channel amp will do a nice job. The Jaycar 2 Channel amps can be had for around the $300 mark I believe and put out quite a lot of power.

Bang for buck, a very good amp, so maybe you should look into those.

A'PEXi
13-12-2004, 10:39 AM
you need as much power as possible, a mono or a 2chan bridged should be fine. out of the brands you suggested, I would say JL Audio, a basic model would set you back around the 350-400 range....

aka_NSX
13-12-2004, 11:37 AM
JL Audio e1200 really nice amp, perfect for ur sub stable in 2 ohms, and I might be able to help you to get one of those JL brand new for a reasonable price just PM me, thanks

lerroy
13-12-2004, 02:08 PM
ok thanks for replays i have the sub it was given to me so i thought i would use it i will get a better one eventually

i was looking at a JBL mono block am pthe GTO6011 for $450 sounds ok or ???

http://www.cardomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=JBLGTO6011

Fhrx
13-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Even better, how about an Audison SRx1 for a similar price? Compare the specs and you might be surprised. :D

lerroy
13-12-2004, 07:20 PM
yeah thats a nice looking amp