PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Gearbox

hondaEK4
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
my gearbox is pulling a whining sound from quiet to loud as of yesterday, whines when i pull from first gear at low rpm and also when i down shift from lets say 4th to 3rd, and also 3rd to 2nd so gears 1-2and3 whine. Wondering if it would be easier just to upgrade to a better gearbox something with LSD? type r box. know of anything cheap and better than the B16A2 gearbox?

geeang
05-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Cheap and better than B16 gearbox = non-existant

There's cheaper - but not better
There's better - but not cheap

You can get a Type r box, but it will set you back anywhere from $1000 - $2000 depending on condition.

hondaEK4
05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
worded it wrong but something in the average range.

amant02
05-04-2010, 11:52 PM
After doing abit of research i have found out the follow options personally im taking a full gear box rebuild from gearbox factory in reseby as im from syd.

I called honda and asked if they sold any, re conditioned b16a wit 1 way lsd they quoted me 2.2 grand. or 3.6 for a brand new type r b18 gearbox which ill fit as well.

the re build on my gearbox only setting me back 1.2 grand paying via cash. I trust these guys as my trusty mechanic is good mates with these guys.

Go for a rebuild i would say its practically brand new gearbox for just part of the cost. depands on you. And buy a new clutch for 300-400 and put that in at the same time. Type R gearbox wouldnt make much a diff as b16a2 gearbox's came wit 1 way lsd.

hondaEK4
06-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info amant02, we'll im just thinking of fixing the main problem for now, getting some good feedback telling me its my input shaft bearings.

geeang
06-04-2010, 12:05 AM
After doing abit of research i have found out the follow options personally im taking a full gear box rebuild from gearbox factory in reseby as im from syd.

I called honda and asked if they sold any, re conditioned b16a wit 1 way lsd they quoted me 2.2 grand. or 3.6 for a brand new type r b18 gearbox which ill fit as well.

the re build on my gearbox only setting me back 1.2 grand paying via cash. I trust these guys as my trusty mechanic is good mates with these guys.

Go for a rebuild i would say its practically brand new gearbox for just part of the cost. depands on you. And buy a new clutch for 300-400 and put that in at the same time. Type R gearbox wouldnt make much a diff as b16a2 gearbox's came wit 1 way lsd.

B16 gearboxes did not come with LSD as standard, they did come as an option in some countries (not sure if Australia was one).
Standard gearboxes that came with LSD include - B-series gearbox from DC2R, B-series gearbox from EK9, possibly B-series gearbox from EG6.

amant02
06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
B16 gearboxes did not come with LSD as standard, they did come as an option in some countries (not sure if Australia was one).
Standard gearboxes that came with LSD include - B-series gearbox from DC2R, B-series gearbox from EK9, possibly B-series gearbox from EG6.

My em1 has lsd. The gearbox hasnt been moded other then my heavy duty clutch.

Btw u can only feel the lsd while accelerating around corners.

geeang
06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Just to clear it up:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/z00mxracing/Tech%20DOCS%20and%20PICS/Bseriesgboxspecs.jpg

amant02
06-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Y21 or S4C which are the em1's gearbox's came wit lsd im pretty sure of this. If you want i can bring my car out and prove it. 1 way lsd works via accelerating only.

Im not too sure about the graph ur showing. Im just talking from experience, what i feel each time i trash my car and from what i have seen from doing a major service just 2 days ago.

GSi_PSi
06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
i doubt you have lsd...