PDA

View Full Version : EG civic or ED CRX?? Pros and Cons.

egb16b
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
hey guys,.. I'm looking to buy a new daily and im tossing up between an eg civic or an ed crx.

My budget is about 5k atm so i can't be picky with what i buy which makes it more important that i know what to look out for with both models.

Which do you think would be the better option in terms of reliability, maintenance and modifcations.

Cheers guys.

markismaximus
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
well the EG is newer so may be more reliable than the CRX. However depends which one has been looked after. I'd say get the CRX, getting less common than EGs

MRK20CRX
06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
parts are still easy and cheap to get for ED9 CRX. They look sweet aswell, and handle like crazy when tuned right. But i'd still love an EG, haha. It's a pretty hard decision. Just look out for rust with the CRX, and service history, any prangs etc. Join up on crxaustralia.com to find more info on CRX's and their owners. There's plenty for sale.

androo
06-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I would go with the CRX. I'd get one if I could afford another car! But I'm only saying that because I've already owned an EG. I've always been a fan of both equally, so ED would have to be the next car.

dougie_504
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Hmmm I have an EG sedan VTi for my daily and an EF8 CRX SiR for my weekend car.

From my experience I'd say EG Civic is a better daily because it's got more seats, a bigger boot, is newer and more modern in it's structure etc. Most of them are SOHC though and if you want to mod your daily a SOHC is nearly worthless for power.

The ED CRX is DOHC non-VTEC and although a little older will probably go harder. It's also lighter. D-series motors both have good aftermarket support for headers and intakes etc so you'll be fine with that. Less space though, and only 2 seats. Less modern. Nicer looking car than the EG too, and then you can join us on CRXAustralia.com :D

I'd go EG Si with the D16A8 if you can get one.

egb16b
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Well i've had a look at one CRX which was in really bad shape and would've cost me quite a bit to bring it back to good health. The guy said it was in "excellent condition" .. wanka lol

I'm gonna have a look at some eg's this weekend but from the price range that i can choose from, i can only afford breezes or gl's. I would prefer a gli cos its efi and i want to do b18c conversion down the track.

What are some things i should look out for when checking out these cars?... besides a dodgy owner haha

androo
06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm not an expert but here's my experience buying an EG:

Reverse gear - some are really hard to get into. Don't buy one of those (I did! Mine was crazy hard. I tried to 'put it in first, then reverse' technique, and tried that for all the other gears as well and only seemed to help a tiny bit). It's really, really annoying. Especially when people are waiting, it's very frustrating. It somehow managed to never happen when I was testing the car. So drive it - then try, if not move it a bit more then try. You might look stupid but it'll literally drive you crazy if you can't get into reverse nice an easy.

Rear tire arches for rust - The design of the EG means that any moisture in there is pretty much locked in. Not really an issue here, but when I was doing research before buying my EG, alot of owners overseas have had that area completely rusted through. There's alot of DIY's of people fixing that area (not too small of a job)

Burning oil is also an issue. Kinda hard to tell though...

Central locking - Myself, and two friends have EG. Without fail, all of our cars had central locking problems. Mine would arm the alarm, but sometimes not lock the doors. Same with my other friend. Last friends one didn't work at all.

Air con - It's common for the compressors (being so old) to die. Just keep that in mind.

Thats about it. I don't know if others can provide any extra input but that's from my research + experience. Good luck! Have you guys seen the JDM CRX's with back seats? So awesome... I wish we got those...

ajbm
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
FIrst car was an EG breeze (HYB31D) it was 1.5 carby until:
- JDM B18C with LSD gearbox intalled
- converted whole fuel sytem for EFI
- changed rear drum breaks from drum to disc
- change mirror/window/door to power options (including door trim)
- brakes upgraded to DC2 vti-R and prelude master cylinder (power upgrade, needs bigger brakes)
this is essential as the old brakes will get you into an accident (trust me)!
- put coilovers for ride height adjustments.

this are the things you should be considering to spend when thinking of getting a breeze.
I suggest look for a descent Si or Vti instead, then do an engine conversion at a later stage.

As for CRX, you can easily get an EF8 nowadays. You cannot compare, or say one is better than the other.
They are equally as good in their own rights!
You will have to drive the both cars to see and then decide what you want...

Both cars are a pleasure to drive!

_CRX_
06-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Get the crx ....too many eg civics on the road