PDA

View Full Version : Shift Points 4 max power??

Matty.V
13-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi,

just wondering if anyone knows what it the best shift points for maximum power on a relatively stock 1.6L non vtec 99 civic. RMP or Km/h?

any help would be appreciated. i only got pod 2 inch exhaust if that helps.
:honda:

Phii
13-12-2004, 03:58 PM
well first gear pushes to just about 60
second gear pushes to just under 100
so just experiment n see what you fink is best

VTEChnique
13-12-2004, 04:13 PM
erm when the needle heads for the redline, reach for the shifter :)

hahha depends on MANY factors, driving style, racing or commuting, what gear you are in etc..

Limbo
13-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Yeah would have to say about 200-500 rpm before cut off depending on how quick your gonna shift. But you did say its a non-vtec right? just check if the car will rev to cut-off (i know not the best thing to do) but it will let you know how the car will really perform. I almost crapped myself when i was at the runs (not that i go) and i acidently over-reved and it cut out. You dun wanna do that when you running otherwise you get crapped on by everyone.

Sp3rMz
14-12-2004, 02:02 AM
I red line my car all the time. Sometimes i accidently change gears to late and u can hear the engine cut in and out. Sounds kool. SHouldnt do it all the time its not good for your car if its not mod properly. In my car type R is made for redlining plus i have vavle springs that allow me to rev to 10rpm along with the internals. I say red lining it. I'm thinkin ur asking so u can drag ur car? Also if u still have ur manual it says what each gear is capable of. Have a look at that.

EG_2_TEG
14-12-2004, 12:48 PM
i don't wanna start another dyno discussion here, but most cars drop off power at a certain RPM

don't quote me on this, but for example, a Type R will dramtically lose power after about 8500rpm, but its cutout is closer to 9000rpm?

but after saying this, redline/limiter4life :)

Civic Type R
14-12-2004, 01:00 PM
lol. OAS u guys tap the limiter all the time.

redliner
14-12-2004, 01:20 PM
jus to be safe just b4 the redline or on the redline
cut-off rev makes u feel sweaty :)

Savant
14-12-2004, 04:27 PM
if going flat out, usually about 200 rpm past red line

SiR JDM
14-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Like spermz said check ur manual... be sure not to shift too early tho cuz youll drop out of vtec... wait... you dont have vtec :P ... jk just teasing

You could grab a RSM or a G-tech and run 1/4 mile in the same spot over and over changing at dif spots n see wat ur best time is... asuming ur launch is perfect =]

Matty.V
15-12-2004, 12:20 PM
all good, im not planning to drag my car or n e thing, just wanted to know cause i just got a tacho put in and wasnt sure of the redline for a ek99 1.6 civic.

STOCK
17-12-2004, 03:09 PM
rev it till it cuts out.. that way you dont need to let go off the acelerator when you shift

Sp3rMz
17-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Just rev it as much as you can til it starts redlining and your engine cuts out. Sounds cool.

egvtec
19-12-2004, 07:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA sounds cool?????? it seems all the advise he is getting is to shift past his peak power.....................so he will be using useless revs when he could have shifted into the next gear. Matt do wat i told u in the first place and see where ur cut out is take 500 rpm off for redline and peak power is prob gonna be round 200-300 rpm below that

Sp3rMz
19-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah cummon sense really....redline ur car and change gears.....no one told him to red line it until it cuts out then change gears LOL or change gears when it sounds like ur engines gonna blow up ;)

J_Mech
20-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Basically i beleive you keep going in the rev range until the torque begins to drop off, and only shift at the point where the torque (in the current gear) has dropped so that it would match the torque in the next gear (also multipling everything by the different gear ratio's)

If you shift too early you will get a lower torque in the next gear, if you shft too late you end up running on lower torque in the current gear and slow down a bit.

Does that make sense to everyone?

J_Mech

sivic
20-12-2004, 11:42 PM
you're gonna get lower torque when you shift into the next gear no matter what unless you flatshift which is f$&*in stupid. peak torque on those is a little under 6k and you're unlikely to land back there if you shifting at redline.
anyway, the redline for your car, which i assume is a cxi, is the same as a EK gli which is 6800 rpm.

J_Mech
22-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Its agreeable then, if the torque is way up high and doesnt really drop off at redline, then hold it all the way to the limit.

J_Mech

sivic
22-12-2004, 09:11 PM
shift at/ or just past redline. simple. dont go hitting the rev limiter on every shift cos you'll eventually end up killing your valvetrain. just practice faster shifts to land back higher in the power band. no point in revving too far past your peak power.
just think of it like riding a bike. you can only peddle so fast in a certain gear before its pointless and you have put it in a higher gear. same goes for your car

chris2k
24-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Best shift point is generally 500rpm or so before redline, you tend to lose a bit of power at the highest rpm.

That's unless you do a engine rebuild and make it high compression hehe.. ultimate 11,000 rpm...

sivic
25-01-2005, 01:18 AM
you're best off shifting at redline. shifting before it, though you may have reached peak power, will see you drop a bit too much in your power band in the next gear. although at redline you have passed peak power you will reach it again much quicker when shifting up

viperx
28-01-2005, 04:20 PM
You want to optimise power over the whole range of RPMs that you use before you change gear. That means you want to find a shift point where you get the maximum area under the power/rpm curve. its not related to peak power really, except the rpm peak power is produced is certainly between the two rpm points produced by a shift in gear.

FR33K
19-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Best shift point is generally 500rpm or so before redline, you tend to lose a bit of power at the highest rpm.

not always :)
if u have a b16 and you shift 500K before redline (7500rpm) then you wouldnt have even reached peak power yet (7600rpm).
every engine is different so you cant really guess..
check out your engine specs first then you'll get a better idea

geo41e
19-02-2005, 06:53 PM
u guyz are funnyy!

anyways, i had a short run once with Ben near Bondi, (remember benn!! where we muncheddd that vti lol!!) anyways,

i shifted at round 7200 - 7400, while he shifted abit earlier.
the end result, he pulled very slightly after each gear change, indicating that just coz u rev it to limiter, doesn't mean u'll go faster/quicker.

both cars where civic Si's...both had mufflers.

i rekon find out when ur peak power ends, and shift on that, and if ur shift is abit too slow, rev another 50 - 100 to make up the loss of revs....

IMHO anyways...

Geoff

sivic
19-02-2005, 08:54 PM
viperx put it well. the diff between the two si's mentioned could have been due to a number of factors: shift speed (driver), clutch condition etc....
but anyway, find what works best for you and go with it

Flash_Gordon
20-02-2005, 03:19 AM
rev it till it cuts out.. that way you dont need to let go off the acelerator when you shift

wouldnt you not only loose a lot of speed doing that but it would be bad for your car ??

|N|
20-02-2005, 03:40 AM
all good, im not planning to drag my car or n e thing, just wanted to know cause i just got a tacho put in and wasnt sure of the redline for a ek99 1.6 civic.

the stock redline is 6800RPM

**Ghost**
20-02-2005, 12:13 PM
1. Go to www.carsales.com

2. Search for your car

3. Click on "research"

4. Look at the RPM where ur car produces max torque

5. shift there

ps: even fi u have mods, provided its not nething major like force induction the official manufacturer spec max torque RPM would be accurace enough

Q_ball
20-02-2005, 12:56 PM
look, jst drop a spoon engine into ya car and rev its guts out to 14K lol

J_Mech
20-02-2005, 09:19 PM
You can keep going past peak engine torque, just as long as u shift at a torque that equals the torque in the next gear (multiplied by the difference in gear ratios - because the new gear will give a higher speed but a smaller torque).

Regards
J_Mech

h22a accord
21-02-2005, 07:42 AM
if i shift at anything less than just before cut off 7800rpm it drops out of vtec momintarily, you can hear the induction noise change as it drops off like this........barp-changegear-brrrrrr-barp!

type one
21-02-2005, 11:21 PM
spoon engine revs like a stock R engine...still cuts out at 8600+ depending on the weather...

for that one tenth of a second shift where u feel comfortable... not going to make much difference... the 1.6L is not going to break any records whether u shift at 500rpm less than redline or at the redline or cutout etc...