PDA

View Full Version : User review wanted on Focal 165A1 splits

dave_todai
07-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a set of these speakers and I want to know how is sounds and what sort of music are these speakers suitable for? These speakers will go to the front and for the rears, I have the Pioneer TSA-1702C splits.

I want a comparison between the two speakers and which would be recommended for the front?

I listen to alot of house and RnB music.

I would appreciate your responses.

Cheers

phat_azn
11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Focal make awesome speakers.Im running the polyglass series front and back.I listen to house n RnB n i reckon they perform really well aslong as it is tuned properly
Where i got mine from they had a small yaris with focal speakers all round and i was blown away buy the quality.

EGB18CT
12-04-2010, 04:41 PM
running them, but in the 5" series both splits and coax in the back (yet to install) got them dirt cheap and honestly for the price you will not find better i reckon got them for 100 & 150 respectively at gary's car radios campbellfield.

-The do lack a little bass down low (due to size - you won't have an issue with the 6.5" series - they are a bit more bassier than other splits like mb quart - sound deadening will help heaps here)
-They are very clear and great vocals
-Tweeters were a little harsh at first, i have turned them down one step - can't remember exactly if -6. Although i'm thinking of trying them back up a notch see what its like now fully run in.
-165V's are nice too but there are also many other options at that price point.
-They also love power and pump to ear bleeding levels if requires, but also have some terriffic SQ.
-I'm running them with a Digital Designs 8" sub feeding it 6-700w rms @ 4 ohms off a 2 ch audison amp (and it pumps, fast tight responsive bass, no mudding, perfect Sq and will pump like a 10 or 12" sub)
-feeding the splits up front about 80wrms @ 4ohm (could feed more but honestly no point it sounds terriffic as is and will feed the rear coax the same to keep the passangers happy)

-IMO, if you get them, properly set up ur system, a decent sub and pick a goal you want to achieve, i believe i have a nice balance of spl and sq - just waiting to get it propely tuned via the imprint alpine sound thingy.

i had a listen to hertz energy splits and they were crapola, the high energy were very decent and these access range sure do punch above their weight. Bang for buck - can't get better, way better than the pio's, kicker, low end jl's and the china mb's at jb.

go for them, nice amp 60-80w a channel rms and you will love them.

dave_todai
19-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I have recently installed them on my car and I love them. Very nice vocals sharp and clear. I ended up getting the 165CA1 coaxials for the rears instead of the Pioneer splts to balance out the sound. I haven't installed the rears yet but I'm looking forward to see how its sounds with the complete setup.

ouch
09-05-2011, 03:36 PM
you guys got an opinion on the focal 165 KR2s?

im planning on getting a pair but i got no idea how they run up against other brands and products.

arverson
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
personally ive never been a fan of focals, not just their entry-level 165ca1's but their entire range. tho take my opinion with a grain of salt cus theres A LOT of variables involved. theyve got a 'love-or-hate-em' stigma bout em so you might find out you love their sound.

they run up 'fine' against other entry-level speakers if thats what you wanna hear. compare em by listening & auditioning to other offerings before committing to the purchase.

NightKids
11-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I know what brand you would pick over them. Morel Maximo's. Just bought them and can't wait to put them in !

vtecing
13-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I have focals in my dc2r, cant remember the model but they are the middle of the range. Im running standard cassette head unit and no amp or sub, so prettymuch just upgraded speakers. They are the best speakers ive ever used, evencompared to other cars with upgraded head unit and amp