PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Keys - 1996 DC4 Integra

Avalon Shotkicker
08-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey guys and girls,

I recently got a new set of (genuine) keys cut, but they seem to have a small problem with my car; they get stuck in the keyhole (of both the boot and the ignition), and it takes a lot of maneuvering to get them out.

The keys have no trouble turning clockwise to open the boot/turn on the car, but turning it anticlockwise to get the key out takes a lot of effort. For the boot, I have to grab the key hard, and twist it. For the ignition, I have to go through some jiggling of the key (pushing in and out of the ignition) while twisting it.

Is it a defect of the key? Or worse, the car? Would it be as easy as getting the keys polished and filed again?

Thank you

6thgear
08-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Think its just because the keys are freshly cut. You could probably speak to the place you got the keys cut, tell them the problem and see if they could smooth it out a little to make it easier for you take out the key

androo
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
What 6th gear said - Take it back and they'll adjust them a bit.

Not direct experience, but when I got my key cut (non genuine) and it didn't work properly (exactly what you're saying), I took it back and they guy filed it a bit and it was perfect. So you shouldn't have to worry too much!

Avalon Shotkicker
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be going to the key cutters on the way to work tomorrow night!

Avalon Shotkicker
11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Sorry for the thread-mine (don't want to start a new thread), but I have been to the key cutters 3 times since posting, and the keys are still sticky (still almost as bad as straight after the initial cut)!! Should I complain?

6thgear
11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
just keep taking it back till you're satisfied i suppose.

emphasise to them you've been back 3 times and perhaps if they can try it out themselves in your cars ignition (perhaps they can get a feel for which notch is sticking), then they can fix it up properly

good luck