PDA

View Full Version : Engine conversion

pablos8
08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey guys I just bought an EG civic GL and I'm planning to get an engine conversion. I'm not quite sure what I'll be aiming for, from what research I have done most people are pushing the B18c7, though I was wondering what are the major differences between the b20?

Also since I got the GL it's a carby so an EFI conversion would be needed, does anyone have a rough estimate on how much extra
cost it would be to get that done as well? Also I won't be doing this myself as I'm not that engine savvy so I'd have to pay mechanic to do it all, can anyone suggest a
good place to go for this type of work/to get the parts for the EFI conversion.

Also if anyone had average prices for b18c7's and a reliable source to buy them, sorry for all the noob questions, new to it all.

Thanks for the help :)

chowdaa
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
conversions can cost a fair bit, it consists of fuel tank, pump, filter, hoses, wiring. The fuel lines are the same. depends if you get a half cut or bare engine too, bare engine, you will need to source gearbox, ecu, manifolds, engine loom, drive shafts possibly (B and D series shafts are different from what i gather), but with a half cut its all thur. I did it myself so unsure of the cost at a workshop.

hope someone can shed some light on the b20 for you

yellows2k
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
doing an engine conversion sounds like a headache, plus u need to factor in the time the car is off the road, especially important if u need a car to get around in.
just ask yourself whether its worth it to do the conversion, or sell up and buy one already done

dougie_504
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
B20VTEC has awesome torque and is great for both daily driving and some track time. However it won't rev as hard as the B18C7/B18CR

B18C7/CR will rev higher and also produce great HP but not as much torque.

So if you want good power probably more suitable for street driving I'd recommend B20.

IMO they'll probably cost the same more or less since you'll need B-series head for the B20.

yellows2k
08-04-2010, 11:24 PM
having owned an s2k and an evo9, and driven in sydney traffic extensively, the "lack" of torque from an eg/ek with b18c isnt an issue. if it was a b16, then maybe, but its still more than enough to handle traffic duties. lack of torque isnt an issue imo

pablos8
09-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Well I'm interested in getting the change made just for the fun of getting all the work done etc, this EG is immac inside and out with a straight body so I took it hehe, the time it's offroad doesn't bother me as I train it to work (comminsure) @ Olympic park lols, thanks for the help guys, can anyone recommend someone great for this type of of job?

markismaximus
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Well I'm interested in getting the change made just for the fun of getting all the work done

ahh dude. all the fun is in doing it yourself. dropping the car off stock and picking it up complete is boring. you also get to learn alot about your car at the same time doing it yourself.

I spose each to their own. however just a heads up, if it has to be converted to EFI too the cost of labour is going to be pretty insane.

I've converted my ED to efi and have easily spent over 100+ hours working on it, that did include doing other things too. But the labour will probably be equal to if not more than the parts you need

pablos8
09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah i wish I could do all the work etc but it sucks because I don't have any tools or really knowledge to do that kind of stuff :( I'd love to learn though, I'm tryign to get through some diy's now that are classified as easy and struggling :(

90LAN
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
just a get a good work shop to do it
even better sell your car and buy a converted eg
save your money and time
and headaches

dougie_504
09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
^^^ agreed on the sell/buy new