PDA

View Full Version : Oil Can

Sp3rMz
13-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, I've always see this oil catch can for sale. I've seen it on a few cars to. I don't fully understand the concept of it. How does it work, How is it useful, and is it street legal. Bascially what does the thing do and how do we benifit from it?

mytoycivic
13-12-2004, 07:51 PM
filters the air that runs out of the engine and is normally directed back into the intake again. it collects all the excess oil and other crap and only allows the good air to go back through the engine. they are good for turbo, but not all that necessary for an NA car.
from m understanding it is only legal if you have the return pipe going back into the intake...
on an NA car, personally i believe it is just for looks. but hey.

wynode
13-12-2004, 07:52 PM
A catch main purpose is reduce the oil vapour that is going to the intake charge.

By doing so, you have a cleaner air which is very important for combustion.

As we all know, to create power we need good combustion. If the air is contaminated, we wont a good combustion and thus reduce the burn efficiency.

Search is your friend :)

kenshin
13-12-2004, 08:05 PM
lotsa sites say its just bling bling for NA.... although the principle in theory should help NA too not just turbos...

get one tien and tell me if it works :D

civiceg9
13-12-2004, 11:58 PM
How much difference does it make?
does it make the oil or exhuast gas clearner? :D

MrPlow
14-12-2004, 05:43 PM
for those of you who think it makes your car perform better your wrong, well in theory it should due to the dirty air/gas/vapour not going back into the engine anymore... it more about collecting the dirty shit into a tank, rather then having it go back into your engine!

and basically thats it, it does nothing else!!!

and it looks good...

bennjamin
14-12-2004, 05:52 PM
for those of you who think it makes your car perform better your wrong, well in theory it should due to the dirty air/gas/vapour not going back into the engine anymore... it more about collecting the dirty shit into a tank, rather then having it go back into your engine!

and basically thats it, it does nothing else!!!

and it looks good...
collecting any vapour that isnt oxygen or fuel that is aimed for the inlet manifold is a good thing Steve - collecting this "gunk" can lower the chance of detonation etc amoungst other things...its more for hi-po track cars etc tho not really for daily drivers. Looks cool tho !

MrPlow
14-12-2004, 06:00 PM
collecting any vapour that isnt oxygen or fuel that is aimed for the inlet manifold is a good thing Steve
isn't that basically what i said!

wynode
15-12-2004, 05:35 PM
isn't that basically what i said!
He's trying to say that keeping oil vapour out of the intake is a good thing :)

NEWKON
15-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey there,

the Oil Catch Can is an essential piece of equipment if you are racing your car on the track, as during tight S-Bends, oil (not just vapour) can spill out of your rocker cover and into your intake pipe.

with a Catch can, this will catch the oil, and route it back into your engine sump ;)

sivic
16-12-2004, 02:07 AM
it wont actually route it back to the sump. it just stays in the catch can. but yeah, if you want to see why its a good thing take of your pcv valve (search) and take a look at the gunky oil build up in it and ask yourself if you really want that going into your intake. is partly for bling but by no means is it a bad addition to your car :)

NEWKON
16-12-2004, 03:33 AM
it wont actually route it back to the sump. it just stays in the catch can. but yeah, if you want to see why its a good thing take of your pcv valve (search) and take a look at the gunky oil build up in it and ask yourself if you really want that going into your intake. is partly for bling but by no means is it a bad addition to your car :)

Hey there,

on proper "racing" catch cans, there is another outlet that allows you to route the oil back to your engine sump.

what we, and most other race teams do, is tap an extension into the sump, then connect a hose from the catch can to the sump.

oil is precious - you definitely don't want oil starvation in a race engine ;)

sivic
16-12-2004, 09:34 PM
true that. yep as said some will route oil back( though this requires extra work on the sump) but most that are sold (greddy etc) simply catch the oil as most ppl wont be prepping their sump to accomodate this. i know i wasnt tapping my sump when i put mine in :p

Limbo
16-12-2004, 11:55 PM
most of the time you are not supose to loose that much anyway, and if you did a catch can is not gonna save you loosing all your oil, cos your probably burning it through your piston rings.

Its mainly to keep oil from running into your throttle body when you run your engine hard and the oil turns to vapour or is spilled/pushed up through the PCV valve and into your throttle. Also its not good for your engine to burn oil, and it makes a bad after smell. If ya wanna go elcheapo there are a few site that should you how to make one. Do a google search.

As to the back to the sump this is the first i heard of it. Like many people said i don't see many people doing this as 1) i don't expect to loose that much oil and 2) it too much trouble to drill a hole in my sump!

If you don't rev your engine much then i don't see much use... but if your teccccccing away by all means its worth the $80-$100

Sp3rMz
17-12-2004, 12:27 AM
I've been asking around and trying to search the legal side of this oil can. And I have not come to any conclusion. Anyone got a 100% answer if its legal or not in melbourne.

toE
17-12-2004, 12:35 AM
I've been asking around and trying to search the legal side of this oil can. And I have not come to any conclusion. Anyone got a 100% answer if its legal or not in melbourne.

I would like to know too. :)

Sp3rMz
17-12-2004, 12:42 AM
If you don't rev your engine much then i don't see much use... but if your teccccccing away by all means its worth the $80-$100
I wasnt going to get one because its a wank factor that no one can see LOL. After reading above might consider getting one. Hence looking for legal side. I vtecccccccccc 24/7 LOL cant help it.

Rt!
17-12-2004, 07:56 AM
legal to use but not the vented types

Sp3rMz
17-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Are you 100% sure?

NEWKON
17-12-2004, 02:41 PM
legal to use but not the vented types

Hey there,

we can get them without the breather, but to tell the truth, if it comes testing time, all you would need to do is remove the filter from the top of the catch can and bung up the hole.

one your car is passed the testing, put the filter back on :)

Sp3rMz
17-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Desmond its not as simple as it sounds. We get randomly pulled over by the police here in Australia. Its not like we know they will be inspecting our cars. They do random inspection on our cars when ever they feel like pulling us over. What do you want me to do? Say "Hang on let me take off my filter" LOL.

NEWKON
17-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Desmond its not as simple as it sounds. We get randomly pulled over by the police here in Australia. Its not like we know they will be inspecting our cars. They do random inspection on our cars when ever they feel like pulling us over. What do you want me to do? Say "Hang on let me take off my filter" LOL.

yeah, you got a point. If thats the case, what you could do is bung up the hole during normal driving (we supply a small rubber cap to plug up the hole) and only use the filter during racing/shows :)

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 05:15 AM
yeah, you got a point. If thats the case, what you could do is bung up the hole during normal driving (we supply a small rubber cap to plug up the hole) and only use the filter during racing/shows :)
In the end it still does not answer my question. Is it or is it not legal to have it in your car. Melbourne Laws. I don't want anyone thinking or guessing. I want a 100% guarentee answer.

Kawasaki
18-12-2004, 08:26 AM
contact your states roads and traffic, they will be able to inform you, just send em an email

NEWKON
18-12-2004, 03:01 PM
In the end it still does not answer my question. Is it or is it not legal to have it in your car. Melbourne Laws. I don't want anyone thinking or guessing. I want a 100% guarentee answer.

Hey there,

having the catch can fitted is not illegal. Having the breather filter on it probably is :(

PhatSol
18-12-2004, 10:41 PM
contact your states roads and traffic, they will be able to inform you, just send em an email
Here is a novel idea - how about you use the TELEPHONE! :thumbsup:

Sp3rMz
18-12-2004, 10:47 PM
I darno, I have a thing with calling people for information. Rather ask here. Strange!!!

sivic
19-12-2004, 09:57 PM
i know its legal here in WA as long as its a closed system (not vented) which is an emmisions thing. the thing is a cop can still defect you if he suspects it is illegal. but yeah, as said just call a your local authorities on the matter

Sp3rMz
19-12-2004, 11:40 PM
In the end whether is legal or not, cops can dick you for anything. A big shinny can thats out of place is a good thing to attract their attention. :(

Limbo
20-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Spray it black and stick a honda sticker on it, that should confuse 'em. ALso if they point it out say it was on the car originally. ;)