PDA

View Full Version : engine drain bolt

mpk_3
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
i have a dc2 and currently flushing the coolant. i have loosened the radiator drain plug and emptied the reservoir.
but i cant loosen the drain bolt at the block. the thing wont move! do i need to loosen it still? cheers

Zilli
10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
you can drain the radiator by lossening to bottom radiator hose... but there will still be a negligible amount of coolant left in the radiator if you dont use the radiator drain plug....

unless the water in there is really shitty, if its still green, dont worry, just drain from the bottom radiator hose, then refil from the radiator

thj822
11-04-2010, 01:12 AM
found this on website. might help you
http://www.ehow.com/how_7369_burp-cars-cooling.html

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Engine Coolants

Step 1

Add a mixture of one-half water and one-half antifreeze to the radiator. Fill it right up to the top.
Step 2

Fill the overflow/coolant reservoir with the same 50/50 mixture.
Step 3

Leave the radiator cap off, turn the engine on and let it run until the radiator "burps": You will see the coolant level drop and may see or hear a large air bubble come to the top as the system burps.
Step 4

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge throughout this process.
Step 5

Refill the radiator to the top and coolant reservoir as needed.
Step 6

Put the radiator cap back on.
Step 7

Note that if the engine runs hot after this procedure there may have been another pocket of air that "burped." Let the engine cool down and then add more coolant to both the radiator and the coolant reservoir.

thj822
11-04-2010, 01:14 AM
or another solution http://www.ehow.com/how_6228672_bleed-radiator-unwanted-air.html
Instructions

Step 1

Turn the car off and allow it to cool. It is dangerous to work on a radiator while it is hot so adequate time must be allowed for the engine to cool.
Step 2

Insert a bleed key into the bleed valve. The screw-like nub that is normally located at the top end of the radiator is the bleed valve. The bleed key can be inserted carefully into that little nub. Before turning the key, wrap a cloth or rag around it to catch any dirty water that is dispelled.
Step 3

Turn the bleed key a half turn. Once you have inserted the bleed key, turn the key a half-turn counter-clockwise until you hear the release of air. This will sound like a hissing sound of air pressure being released.
Step 4

Wait for the hissing to stop. When the hissing stops, that is the signal that the air has been released. Shortly after, some dirty water will spurt onto the cloth or rag around the key. This is the cue that the valve can be closed and the key can be turned back to its original unturned position.

mpk_3
11-04-2010, 01:19 AM
thanks for all the help guys!

flipfire
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Buy a 5L bottle of distilled water and run that through the engine then flush it out. That should clean out whatevers left in the engine bay.

Make sure you slide the aircon setting to hot/red to cycle the old coolant off the heater core