PDA

View Full Version : dc5r or dc2r-what would you prefer?

Wez_R
11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
hey guys,

was just thinking what has better handling/speed/acceleration.

What would you guys rather and why?

burak213
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
dc5R/S

newer model
less problems
looks better

geeang
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
DC2R has better handling, acceleration and speed are pretty much the same level but the DC2R will feel alot more raw.

DC5R is newer with a nicer/more comfortable interior, and the looks between the two are subject to personal opinion.

androo
12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm a huge DC2R fan. I definitely think the DC2R looks better. Given the money though, I'd probably go with the DC5R/S now (only for the fact that the DC2R is getting old and with age comes problems). If I had alot of money? DC2R and make it smickkk =] DC5 should be easier to live with though!

ekvtec
12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
DC5R..but then again, im biased :P

DLO01
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a DC2R. Have driven both (my bro's DC5R). Really comes down to personal taste in the end. Both are quick cars. I like the DC2R, better handling, I love the rawness to it, noises, feeling to it, like the simplicity to it. Perfer the look of the DC2R inside and out. Hate the DC5R interior dash etc. Both great cars, but defiantly DC2R for me.

deanos
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
We all know the real mc'coy is the dc2 in the type r world. Its the real type r.
Although I always liked the DC5 type r and hense the reason i own one of these.
Its a great car and love it.
you will just have to have a think about which one you really like i guess!

Deano.

*vtec-screamer
12-04-2010, 10:39 PM
We all know the real mc'coy is the dc2 in the type r world. Its the real type r.
Although I always liked the DC5 type r and hense the reason i own one of these.
Its a great car and love it.
you will just have to have a think about which one you really like i guess!

Deano.

hehehe the real Type R is the FD2 Type R =D pwns all..

deanos
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Yea, but we dont even have them here so....

I would prefer a dc2 anyway. A real sports car with 2 doors and still considered still possibly the best FWD car in the world!

The dc2 started the whole type r theme in the world when the fd2 was still a sperm in honda! Nice car, but.. i dont know....yawn.....

pure_na
13-04-2010, 01:38 AM
to add to your thread, i've got a query that nobody ever seems to talk about. i drove a dc5r a year or so ago, and only for about 20 mins, but it seemed to me like the steering was much more responsive as compared to a dc2r. i'm no saying the car would corner better, just that it felt like i only moved the steering a little to turn a lot, as oposed to a dc2r..anyone care to comment??

pure_na
13-04-2010, 01:41 AM
oh and to answer the question, all logic points to the dc5r. spend a little money on it and it beats a dc2r in every respect...however there is something about the dc2r. get in one, and you either feel it or you don't. to me it basically comes down to logic vs emotion.

visconti
13-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I drove my friend's DC5 many years ago, interior is nicer, body styling is better, newer.. It was DC5 > DC2

Until I got myself a DC2R recently.. didnt really like it at first, noisy, etc, I dont know why I got it, but over time it grows in me.. like Deano said, the rawness, the noise, etc

So for me now I'd get DC2R over DC5R any day.. real type R!

1900-hustler
13-04-2010, 08:36 AM
DC2R for me..

ive had one for nearly 5 years - i have come close to selling it twice and fortunately i didnt..
i get sick of it sometimes because its impractical - annoying at times and uncomfortable..
but then i drive it again and im back in love lol..

my cousin had a DC5R for 2 years - we would often swap cars for weeks at a time..
id always find myself wanting my car back.. and he would always want to keep my car for longer lol

r3ckless
13-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Also, how much are you going to spend on it..... even though i owna dc5, owning a dc2 really opens to doors to ALOT of modifications!

personally, i prefer the DC5, newer car. Also i really pay attentino to a decent interior layout, i mean, its what you look, and use when you are driving, the dc5 beats it hands down.

r3ckless
13-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I drove my friend's DC5 many years ago, interior is nicer, body styling is better, newer.. It was DC5 > DC2

Until I got myself a DC2R recently.. didnt really like it at first, noisy, etc, I dont know why I got it, but over time it grows in me.. like Deano said, the rawness, the noise, etc

So for me now I'd get DC2R over DC5R any day.. real type R!

The real type r's are the JDM ones. brembo's also!

acurabot
13-04-2010, 09:36 AM
I own a DC5 and only driven a friends DC2 for a short time but I definitely like the SR4 recaros better. In saying that, in terms of handling, acceleration and power, DC2 is probably better because its lighter, designed to live on the track and as modifications go, you have alot more options not to mention cheaper ones too lol. When you drive a DC2, you actually feel like your driving one...when driving a DC5, sometimes you forget until you drive pass windows.

simonnowis
13-04-2010, 09:39 AM
dc5r = modern comfort sports car, has up to date styling, more practical overall with more space.
dc2r = oldschool sports car, more noise especially since no sound deadening, smaller cabin space.
performance wise both very similar.
really depends on personal taste.

raffyboy
13-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Im getting a DC2 over DC5 love the old JDM look its just me

I am selling my Evo8 JDM styled over a DC2 going NA

visconti
13-04-2010, 09:44 AM
The real type r's are the JDM ones. brembo's also!

Engine yes, slightly less output compared with JDM.. but for brakes I thought jdm DC2R dont have brembo also?

sae
13-04-2010, 10:04 AM
As everyone has stated, it's all really up to personal tastes
In my opinion, the DC2R is more of a driver's car - more rawness, lighter, more nimble; the driver is able to experience the thrill
Opposed to DC5R - I feel it's been tamed down a tad, heavier, more of a passengers car
Don't get me wrong, both are fantastic but I'd go with the dc2r - they're cheaper as well so more mods :P
DC5R are however, are newer (still quite old) and have the k20a..
All up 2 u

m0nty ITR
13-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Come on guys. The "real Type R" is the NSX-R. Everything else is a compromise on an everyday form of transport.

vtecing
13-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Yea, but we dont even have them here so....

I would prefer a dc2 anyway. A real sports car with 2 doors and still considered still possibly the best FWD car in the world!

The dc2 started the whole type r theme in the world when the fd2 was still a sperm in honda! Nice car, but.. i dont know....yawn.....

actually the first type r was a motorbike... The CBR was a sports bike made by honda, but when they decided to put race piston in and modify the engine they renamed it the CBRR. RR standing for race replica.

This is straight from wikipedia:

"The Honda CBR models are a series of sport oriented motorcycles, several of which (400RR, 600RR, 900RR, 929RR, 954RR and 1000RR) are marketed as Race Replica, hence the suffix "RR" after the engine size designation. With the exception of the single cylinder CBR125 and CBR150, all CBR motorbikes have inline engines (as compared to the V engines in the VT, VTR and VF/VFR series). Less sporting models with inline engines make up the CB Series."

"A race replica motorcycle is a publicly available retail vehicle that resembles a competition race bike either in performance or appearance.

The classification is imprecise and varies from bikes derived directly from a racing prototype (such as the Ducati Desmosedici) to production bikes that are considered heavily influenced by a manufacturer's racing experience (such as the Aprilia RS125 or Kawasaki ZX-7R). It does not extend to retail bikes competing in race series that require an existing production bike be used (such as the Honda CBR1000RR).

The term is often applied by manufacturers to market motorcycles and scooters that resemble a racing prototype (such as a similar paint scheme) but are not actually derived from racing vehicles. Some of the performance race replicas are offered with sponsor decals so that it may completely resemble a professional race bike.

Some enthusiasts may incorrectly consider true race prototypes that have subsequently been privately sold as replicas (such as the Yamaha YZR500)."

Come on guys. The "real Type R" is the NSX-R. Everything else is a compromise on an everyday form of transport.

The reason the first type r was made, was to take an 'órdinary' car and make it into a race car. The nsx r actually started off as just an nsx but then later became a type r to comete with its big brothers. The 'type r' has always been about increasing the performance of a stock car/bike

trentd
13-04-2010, 12:41 PM
dc2r, dc5r are pigs and fat and heavy and just boo. why is this a question?
this shouldn't be a comparrison, dc2r is much better.

oongie
13-04-2010, 01:42 PM
DC2R the original with cult status!
DC5R for daily duties and DC2R for weekends

trentd
13-04-2010, 02:31 PM
i agree with above but i wouldn't waiste that much money on a daily. best daily is something that is cheap all round. example being like a barina or laser ;)
that way you have more to spend modding the dc2r!

dc2r-0636
13-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Dc2r ftw!

tiah313
13-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Dc2r > dc5r

trentd
13-04-2010, 03:21 PM
bloody oath there greater :), plus they just look sxc and sleek.
seeing those taillights in the distance always makes my day.
DC2R!

deanos
13-04-2010, 08:58 PM
dc2r, dc5r are pigs and fat and heavy and just boo. why is this a question?
this shouldn't be a comparrison, dc2r is much better.

C'mon thats a bit harsh on the DC5 ITR! They are a brilliant car lets not 'kid ourselves. Just the DC2 ITR does it better!

i agree with above but i wouldn't waiste that much money on a daily. best daily is something that is cheap all round. example being like a barina or laser ;)
that way you have more to spend modding the dc2r!

Hmm... IMHO if you can afford to run the ITR's every day & not rack up too many km's on it (its not like they run 18L/100km if you drive them half nicely). Life's too short I say!

damienm
13-04-2010, 09:05 PM
k20a>b18c7

vtecing
13-04-2010, 09:22 PM
double wishbone > mcpherson strut

90LAN
13-04-2010, 09:27 PM
jdm dc5r face lift hands down

i have a soft spot for the jdm dc2r too

i would take any

damienm
13-04-2010, 10:13 PM
double wishbone > mcpherson strut

im sure the lanevos use macpherson struts. i guess they must not handle as well as the dc2r ;)

m0nty ITR
13-04-2010, 10:24 PM
In Japan the DC2 is considered a very old car now. Tuners don't really do anything with them anymore. The K20 powered DC5 is a far superior car and when modded is better again. Sure, the DC2 has double wishbone suspension which lends itself to easier tuning and set up but at the end of the day the DC5 improves on everything, despite what the purists would say.

The Australian delivered DC5 wasn't the full bag of goodies but was still quite strong for a $45k package.

Looking at the extreme end of modification like my car, the gap between the DC5 and DC2 becomes even greater. The chassis is far superior and does a much better job of putting extra power down. If anyone disagrees you're more than welcome to build a similar DC2 and prove me wrong. :)

e240
13-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Fd2r
fd2r
fd2r

trentd
14-04-2010, 09:06 AM
C'mon thats a bit harsh on the DC5 ITR! They are a brilliant car lets not 'kid ourselves. Just the DC2 ITR does it better!

Hmm... IMHO if you can afford to run the ITR's every day & not rack up too many km's on it (its not like they run 18L/100km if you drive them half nicely). Life's too short I say!

Its not fuel economy and stuff like that, its insurance service and repairs. u had urself a pile of crap as a daily, you find how to service it yourself and you will have a thicker wallet and you will have a faster dcr2 in the garage :P
DC2R ftw

VT-11-RR
14-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I highly agree with Monty. Ive been doing a shit load of research on the US n AU forums and k series engines have so much potential if modded with quality parts. And dont forget the fact its a 2L over a 1.8L. and as for *trentd* mate to bag out the DC5 to that level one would think you own a Lambo or sumthing. Great car in every aspect!!!!! oh btw Cars a Made to be drivn not to watch it in the garage everyday

trentd
14-04-2010, 04:37 PM
i'm not saying it stays in the garage. you take it out now and again. why drive your loved car to work and shopping every day. you just get the risk of having it scratched and damaged.

and don't ever compare litres, 1.8l worse then 2l?
i have a 1.8 and it embarrases 6.0l's on the road. go figure.
i'm not saying the dc5r is a horrible car and not to have it. its just answering the question dc5r or dc2r, i'm saying dc2r.
because honestly it beats it in everything. handling, speed, looks, style, weight and much more.
you can do so much with a k20 engine, but you can do so much with a b18c7 as well.
you can do so much with a smart car if you feel like it.
i'm leaving my opinion and that is.
GO THE DC2R!!!!! =D

G-Stick
14-04-2010, 04:57 PM
why's there so much hate for DC5R's here.. I am sure half if not most of the haters here havent even drive a dc5.

DC5R's are nice cars to drive. imo its tamed and modern and will eventually have more aftermarket support
DC2R's are raw, noisy and the interiors getting old.

IMO... K20a JDM DC2R ;)

Wez_R
14-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I would take any! love them both

trentd
14-04-2010, 05:03 PM
k20a dc2 would be insane!
i don't have a lot of hate for them. i just think there toooo boring.
its turned into a completly different car. and its too big for fwd.
if it was rwd i'd have one right now!

Wez_R
15-04-2010, 11:06 PM
What would make the dc5r vtec raw more? exhaust, pod filter?

burak213
15-04-2010, 11:33 PM
What would make the dc5r vtec raw more? exhaust, pod filter?

removal of sound deadning, stiff mounts, i/h/e, stiffer sway bars, coilovers

trentd
16-04-2010, 08:49 AM
A pod is a good mod, not only does it get colder air, it gets more air all together. it will make the vtec raw more. having a aftermarket intake pipe aswell will make it raw very loud!

Zinyo
16-04-2010, 11:21 AM
k20a dc2 would be insane!
i don't have a lot of hate for them. i just think there toooo boring.
its turned into a completly different car. and its too big for fwd.
if it was rwd i'd have one right now!

You talk a lot of crap for someone who havent even owned a DC5R...have you even driven one? its based on everyone's own opinion...you and other people like dc2r because they either have a dc2/dc2r or its their personal taste...good for you and i think they are a great car. Well i'll be plain and honest here and say that most DC5R owners here can buy a dc2r if they wanted to, but they prefer/bought the dc5r, so obviously each to their own...Too boring? not even a comparison?...get real...

act_gooner
16-04-2010, 12:15 PM
IMO the DC2R looks a lot nicer, but I would jump at the chance of buying a bran new car which is what makes the DC5R better.

mocchi
16-04-2010, 12:35 PM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2538/82360783.jpg

picture speaks a thousand words

ChrisSX
16-04-2010, 01:34 PM
As someone who has owned both, the DC5R is better hands down.

Stock for stock, I did prefer the DC2R, however once you go mod for mod the performance gap just keeps increasing and leaving the DC2R behind. The extra torque that the K20 has down low is probably the icing on the cake; it feels good not to need to hit vtec just to beat someone off the lights so you can merge lanes.

I also prefer the gearbox on the DC5. Better ratios and a 6th gear for highway driving. Can happily chill out in 5th gear at 60-70km/h driving around town without the car struggling. The DC2 always pissed me off because the car felt like it was revving WAY too high at 110km/h.

I also felt the DC5 was more planted to the road when both cars had coilovers and RE01s.

Most of the other reasons I prefer the DC5 other people have already covered, however I did prefer the DC2R steering wheel and the overall size of the car.

Just my 2c

G-Stick
16-04-2010, 06:02 PM
You talk a lot of crap for someone who havent even owned a DC5R...have you even driven one? its based on everyone's own opinion...you and other people like dc2r because they either have a dc2/dc2r or its their personal taste...good for you and i think they are a great car. Well i'll be plain and honest here and say that most DC5R owners here can buy a dc2r if they wanted to, but they prefer/bought the dc5r, so obviously each to their own...Too boring? not even a comparison?...get real...

And i am sure most DC2R owners could of gotten a DC5R considering the minor price difference.
stock for stock the dc5r feels to plain, alot of the dc5r owners ive met got the dc5 over the dc2 because of the age issue.

And yes, we do need more people who have had REAL experience with these cars to comment.

VTECMACHINE
16-04-2010, 08:08 PM
DC2R is nice but it's OLD now, old engine, less power, as it ages, the engine loses power!

Not true in all cases. The NSX engine actually makes more power after 100,000km's than when it is new. It's apparently how Honda designed it.
Any well maintained car will last a very very very long time. It just comes down to how much someone was to maintain their car. I've seen DC5R's that burn oil, and have shit valve clearances with noisy knocky pistons with 30/40,000km's. For example, I have 120,000km's on my DC2R, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil, and it super quiet. Just depends how you were to maintain it. Either way, it's freaking near impossible to find a mechanically A1 DC2R or DC5R. Too many P-platers owning them, and thrashing the crap out of them.

Oh, and i'd choose a DC2R over a DC5R anyday.

Lepperfish
16-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Not true in all cases. The NSX engine actually makes more power after 100,000km's than when it is new. It's apparently how Honda designed it.
Any well maintained car will last a very very very long time. It just comes down to how much someone was to maintain their car. I've seen DC5R's that burn oil, and have shit valve clearances with noisy knocky pistons with 30/40,000km's. For example, I have 120,000km's on my DC2R, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil, and it super quiet. Just depends how you were to maintain it. Either way, it's freaking near impossible to find a mechanically A1 DC2R or DC5R. Too many P-platers owning them, and thrashing the crap out of them.

I agree, someone is selling a DC2R on CRSX with 210,000km and he dyno'd it and its making over 100FWKW still..

air23box
17-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I've driven Both or I can say all, DC2R, AUDM DC5R, JDM DC5R, FD2R, FD2R RC, Mugen RR
Stock to stock between DC2R and DC5R for sure DC2R is quicker and handle better. But after you put some decent mods on them and a bit more of time by time. The gap grow bigger. I like the way how a Stock DC5R as a daily and stock DC2R as track car. But if I have $$ I will get a DC5R and mod it up like other mention the extra torque and protential to mod up a K20 engine since its still 2 lts vs 1.8lt.
I owned a DC5R and it really feel like a different car before and after you mod it up. I recently de mod my DC5R and still remember how it handle b4 I return it back to stock. by achieving a 1:38 in winton I think the time speaks many words.
I will say if you want a daily + track car get a DC5R and if you want to build a track only car get either one of them.
comparing a AUDM DC5R and JDM DC5R. They almost drive the same. except the JDM package offer a bit more values in terms of parts and it respond a bit better in high revs. generally its not that much faster then AUDM.
FD2R are really good cars compare to the one available in our market. but too bad they are not available in our own soil......hope this help~!

air23box
17-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Agree for both, Best motoring acturally did a test and prove the more milage it does, the more power it make. Can't remember which issue but it was like ages ago......

I agree, someone is selling a DC2R on CRSX with 210,000km and he dyno'd it and its making over 100FWKW still..

Zinyo
17-04-2010, 05:54 PM
And i am sure most DC2R owners could of gotten a DC5R considering the minor price difference.
stock for stock the dc5r feels to plain, alot of the dc5r owners ive met got the dc5 over the dc2 because of the age issue.

And yes, we do need more people who have had REAL experience with these cars to comment.

actually, come to think of it, thats why i got my dc5r, cos the dc2r is too old and interior is outdated...

VTECMACHINE
17-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I got my DC2R, cos I couldn't see over the dash of the DC5R. Anyone else have that problem? lol.

burak213
17-04-2010, 06:53 PM
i cant see the bonnet when im driving even tho i lean forward. DC5s

androo
17-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I have a Jazz and have driven a DC5 and on both cars I can't see the bonnet no matter what I try!

hobbo
18-04-2010, 01:17 PM
i cant see the bonnet when im driving even tho i lean forward. DC5s

I have that problem too with my DC5s. lol

Zinyo
18-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I have the same problem with the recaros lol...first time my mum test drove it she needs a pillow to sit on just to see the outside...or it maybe because some people drive muzza style??...its weird that sometimes i see people who look like they're almost in sleeping position/seating position driving around in their car.

pure_na
19-04-2010, 12:51 AM
actually, come to think of it, thats why i got my dc5r, cos the dc2r is too old and interior is outdated...

lmao please don't compare the interior. i reckon the dc5r has the blandest interior ever used in a honda. i personally like the dc2r interior quite a lot, and if you don't that's fine, but the dc5r interior is not worth a mention in any argument anywhere. don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, but there is *nothing* special about it. i wouldn't say i bought a dc2r over a dc5r because of the interior, no matter how much i prefer the interior (quite a lot tbh). it's like saying i bought a ford over a holden because of the look of the badge....really? that's why you bought the ford? the look of the badge?

burak213
19-04-2010, 06:17 AM
lmao please don't compare the interior. i reckon the dc5r has the blandest interior ever used in a honda. i personally like the dc2r interior quite a lot, and if you don't that's fine, but the dc5r interior is not worth a mention in any argument anywhere. don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, but there is *nothing* special about it. i wouldn't say i bought a dc2r over a dc5r because of the interior, no matter how much i prefer the interior (quite a lot tbh).

i don't think the dc5R/S has the blandest interior, i mean look at the cluster, with the white dials, needles pointing down to give race car look, amber lighting. The cluster itself has more character then the whole dc2R interior, which infact is just black plastics and the dials and intrustments clogged in the middle of the dash console.

Zinyo
19-04-2010, 05:24 PM
lmao please don't compare the interior. i reckon the dc5r has the blandest interior ever used in a honda. i personally like the dc2r interior quite a lot, and if you don't that's fine, but the dc5r interior is not worth a mention in any argument anywhere. don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, but there is *nothing* special about it. i wouldn't say i bought a dc2r over a dc5r because of the interior, no matter how much i prefer the interior (quite a lot tbh). it's like saying i bought a ford over a holden because of the look of the badge....really? that's why you bought the ford? the look of the badge?

Uhhhh have you read my post??? before you go all defensive, re-read my post...where did i compare the interior of both cars? or did i say that the dc5r has "such an awesome interior! much better than dc2r"...come on pure na...lets put aside our ego and wake up to reality..."dc5r have the blandest interior..." ur opinion, fair enough, feel better now?? LOL...i actually agree and think the dc5r interior is too plain...wish it could be like the interior of the fn2r...
Bought a car cos a badge??holden and ford?? what....what are you saying? What you did there was a very bad example of a paralleled scenario.

Wez_R
19-04-2010, 08:05 PM
There is a thread called "what do you not like about honda integras" if your going to complain about the interior go there.

pure_na
19-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Uhhhh have you read my post??? before you go all defensive, re-read my post...where did i compare the interior of both cars? or did i say that the dc5r has "such an awesome interior! much better than dc2r"...come on pure na...lets put aside our ego and wake up to reality..."dc5r have the blandest interior..." ur opinion, fair enough, feel better now?? LOL...i actually agree and think the dc5r interior is too plain...wish it could be like the interior of the fn2r...
Bought a car cos a badge??holden and ford?? what....what are you saying? What you did there was a very bad example of a paralleled scenario.

wow ok. first off, i wasn't getting defensive, like i said in MY post, interior's don't really mean much to me at all. i like mine, but it's not why i bought my car.
secondly, IF i misunderstood you, i apologize. if i am correct (as it's on the page before this), you said something along the lines of, "come to think of it, that's why i bought a dc5r, the dc2r is old styling and interior is outdated". now, from that i gathered you were saying the dc5r's inteiror is much better. i didn't even focus on the fact that i disagreed, i just said that it's a poor argument as to why a dc5r is better - the interior. Now, considering you told me to re-read your post, i did. When you said what you said - "i bought a dc5r because the dc2r is old styling and interior is outdated" (or something like that) - you clearly didn't compare the interior of both cars, and obviously didn't mean that the interior of the dc5r is much better styling. you meant...what exactly?
and lastly, my comparison of badges was to give an example of something that is on a car that makes absalutely no difference whatsoever, and saying that one simple interior over another simple interior (as even you agree, they're pretty simple inteirors) was the reason one car is better is, imo, silly.
oh and btw, i have no idea where my ego comes into all this lol. if YOU read one of MY posts (can't remember what page), i actually said that all logic points towards a dc5r being a better car...clearly my 'ego' clouds my vision and i worship all things dc2r. i just didn't compare interiors of the two.

DLO01
19-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Guy's. Its personal opinions to state what you perfer DC5R or DC2R. Lets just leave it like that and others respect it. Simple.

act_gooner
19-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I think the interior of the DC5 looks pretty tacky and cheap tbh. DC2 is bland but it doesn't look cheap IMO.

ewendc2r
20-04-2010, 11:46 AM
If you think you'd like an Elise, get a DC2R. If not, get a DC5R.

I personally much prefer the DC2R -- It really comes down to personal preference. I feel like i'm in a go kart with the DC2R, DC5 'feels' heavy.

ewendc2r
20-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Pff.. DC2-R Interior is way better and makes the car way better.

*ducks for cover*

Rofl.

burak213
20-04-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/comparison/2001/sport_coupe/acura_rsx/01.acura.rsx.int.500.jpg

vs

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9629745+w750+st0/htup_0804_25_z+1995_acura_integra_ls_dc2+jdm_itr_i nterior_full_cockpit_view.jpg

xqwzit
20-04-2010, 04:09 PM
dc2r interior is too old and outdated i agree.
no way a dc5r interior is bland..
i will take the dc5r/s over dc2r anyday just because its newer..

CRXDEL501
20-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Dc2r :)

mathew[fn2]
20-04-2010, 04:12 PM
DC5R more sexxy

EK1.6LCIV
21-04-2010, 08:42 AM
dc5r due to the blue interior if nothing else

both are nice cars, dc2r has less blind spots

if the dc2r in aus came with the jdm front it would be alot better looking plus have hids stock but both could use the electric folding mirrors

r3ckless
21-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes one thing i hate bout dc5... Hard to look back in.. Even without type r wing... Im gonna hav to get some circles for my
mirrors. Also the turninh circle in a dc5.... Never ever done a three point turn.

EVLGTR
25-04-2010, 01:06 AM
DC2 Type-R is more raw & raucous. It jumps around and the tail breaks out oh-so easily around corners. It handles extremely great with tenacious grip thanks to Honda for implementing the "Double wishbone" suspensions on all 4 wheels and that is just half the fun.

Its a very stimulating car compared to the DC5 Type-R

The DC5 R has been tamed in my opinion

tuj
28-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I have a DC2R. Have driven both (my bro's DC5R). Really comes down to personal taste in the end. Both are quick cars. I like the DC2R, better handling, I love the rawness to it, noises, feeling to it, like the simplicity to it. Perfer the look of the DC2R inside and out. Hate the DC5R interior dash etc. Both great cars, but defiantly DC2R for me.

totally agree with him.

dc2r for me.

EVLGTR
29-04-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5pAbgTIzIQ&feature=related

Both dc2 & dc5 are tuned so enough said .......sit back and enjoy:)

vtecing
29-04-2010, 12:57 PM
you can tell the dc5 is faster on the straight. but who really cares about driving in a straight line. if you want a car that goes fast in a straight line, buy a nissan

ewendc2r
29-04-2010, 01:00 PM
rofl -- dead set. They are about the same performance. If you want to spend $100k then get the better platform, double wishbone throughout. if not, just buy what tickles your fancy looks wise.If they are still on the same level, get the newer one.

/end argument.

kairi_k
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
i use to say dc2r hands down but as time passes, the newer car (dc5r) will always grow on us. dc5r maybe? lol

Wez_R
04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
go on youtube and type in "type r battle" or after watching that youtube video it should be one of the options down the bottom,
dc5r, dc2r, s2000, ep3 , ek9, s15, audi s3
no idea why they put the non honda's in this race haha but just because a dc2r wins in one race doesnt mean much when watching this video.

burak213
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
go on youtube and type in "type r battle" or after watching that youtube video it should be one of the options down the bottom,
dc5r, dc2r, s2000, ep3 , ek9, s15, audi s3
no idea why they put the non honda's in this race haha but just because a dc2r wins in one race doesnt mean much when watching this video.

exactly like one video where a ep3r beats a dc5r, apparently based on that video the ep3r is faster than the dc5r no questions asked. lol

Wez_R
06-05-2010, 01:37 PM
well iv heard that the ep3r has better acceleration then the dc5r on a youtube video but thats about it
on that type R battle video the
rankings go.

DC5R
EP3R
S2000
Audi S3
S15
DC2R
EK9R

So every video a differnt car seems to wins

cvc247
24-08-2010, 03:50 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/comparison/2001/sport_coupe/acura_rsx/01.acura.rsx.int.500.jpg

vs

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9629745+w750+st0/htup_0804_25_z+1995_acura_integra_ls_dc2+jdm_itr_i nterior_full_cockpit_view.jpg

lol at least dc2r comes with carbon fibre inserts lol and imo the dc5 looks like a new van lol the dc2/r feels like a car still!!

Zinyo
24-08-2010, 11:40 AM
get your facts right...thats an acura... nor is that a stock dc2r interior. Its got DC5R recaros.

burak213
24-08-2010, 12:08 PM
get your facts right...thats an acura... nor is that a stock dc2r interior. Its got DC5R recaros.

use your imagination

picture the type S with recaro's

and the dc2 with no gauges on the pillar

Samm928
24-08-2010, 12:24 PM
why is there so many dc5r's compared to dc2r's on carsales?
1.people dont like to sell em cause they are worth keeping
2. theres not many around cause lil kids wrap them in tree's.
3.when dc5r's drive past and see me in my dc2r they think to themselves (why d idnt i get a real looking type R)

4. i personally LOVE the Dc2r.
after going from a integra ls to a integra vti-r then to a crx then to a audi a4 AWD i've come back to the Dc2r's. i wouldnt go dc5r just as i dont like the look of em? doesnt tickle me... its a car i owuld buy my misses but not drive myself personally.

Tai
24-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Because more ppl crash DC2R's

hence not as many around for sale.

3.when dc5r's drive past and see me in my dc2r they think to themselves (why d idnt i get a real looking type R)

after going from a integra ls to a integra vti-r then to a crx then to a audi a4 AWD i've come back to the Dc2r's. i wouldnt go dc5r just as i dont like the look of em? doesnt tickle me... its a car i owuld buy my misses but not drive myself personally.

burak213
24-08-2010, 01:05 PM

lol when i drive pass dc2r's they dont bother racing me cause they know they will LOSE!

Zinyo
24-08-2010, 03:14 PM
use your imagination

picture the type S with recaro's

and the dc2 with no gauges on the pillar

they're talking about dc5r and dc2r so the dc5r interior is different to that; as in its got more type R logos around, red stitching, diff steering wheel, gear knob, etc. The posted dc2r has dc5r recaros on the car and few additions along the side.
when i see a dc2r next to me............blehhhh i dont give a crap. each to their own. ("its a car i would buy my missus" - come off it mr tough guy)

act_gooner
24-08-2010, 05:50 PM
DC2R's are so much sleaker. I even prefer the DC2's interior as the DC5R looks purely like plastic.

lsvtec
24-08-2010, 08:16 PM
DC2R all the way! i dont really like the dc5 - their to expensive.

Samm928
24-08-2010, 08:20 PM
they're talking about dc5r and dc2r so the dc5r interior is different to that; as in its got more type R logos around, red stitching, diff steering wheel, gear knob, etc. The posted dc2r has dc5r recaros on the car and few additions along the side.
when i see a dc2r next to me............blehhhh i dont give a crap. each to their own. ("its a car i would buy my missus" - come off it mr tough guy)

awww dont be like that! its ok to have a dc5r! i personally just love the dc2r "look"
there wouldnt be a k20 in my car if i didnt live dc5r motors ;)

kingjumbo
24-08-2010, 09:21 PM
lol at least dc2r comes with carbon fibre inserts lol and imo the dc5 looks like a new van lol the dc2/r feels like a car still!! http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/9629745+w750+st0/htup_0804_25_z+1995_acura_integra_ls_dc2+jdm_itr_i nterior_full_cockpit_view.jpg http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/comparison/2001/sport_coupe/acura_rsx/01.acura.rsx.int.500.jpg

Dude that comparison is bulshit:

1) Pictures are different angle, one is flattering, one is a shocka

2)Your comparing a kitted out type R with a bland-spec rsx-s.. the interior of an aussie dc5r with recaros and bright blue carpet is a whole different story..

i LOVE the dc5r interior, it's chunky, nice quality, heaps more practical and modern and all in all a massive update from the dc2r which the basic design was from way back (1991 i believe) get with the times baby;)

midnightdood
24-08-2010, 10:42 PM
100% dc2.

act_gooner
24-08-2010, 10:50 PM
DC2 is rawww.

_bORdO_
24-08-2010, 10:53 PM
The DC2R has been tuned to its limits.
Using the blue prints from the Integra vtiR, they were able to construct the complete package in the DC2R pushing an extra 17kw, making it close to 90kg lighter + a heap more finely tuned parts in general.
Hence the fact it is called the true typeR...

The implementation of the newer K20A engine ment starting from scratch.
Yes people hate Honda for not using the double wishbone - but hey Mitsubishi use the Macpherson Strut in there Evolution models, i dont see any problems with there handling.

...Besides the DC5R only has the Macpherson Strut in the front...

Imagine Honda decided to not care to much about the environment (with all these green friendly cars made - not just with Honda but every other manufacturer) and focused more on completing their development on this newer K20A engine?
We've already seen mod for mod the DC5R>DC2R

Just imagine if there was a new model of Integra to come, using the DC5R as the blue print (like Honda used the vtiR to create the DC2R) and made the new "tuned to its limits" DC5R!!
I know which one i would pick.

Weather it be the DC2 or the DC5 we all love our Integras and there is no denying how enthusiastic we are about it.
That is what makes a good community & i love to be part of it.

EKVTIR-T
24-08-2010, 10:55 PM
DC2 is rawww.

So is an early 90s Hyundai Excel..

cvc247
24-08-2010, 11:21 PM
lol yea thats true but the person who posted up this picture with the shit angle pics is a dc5 fan lol and to the other person talking up the dc2rs interior im all about simple stock look... dont realy care about the side water temp guages n things you dont really need if it was turboed and it had a boost guage fair enough.. and the dc5r seats is too similar to the sr3z so im not fussed about that either... i was mainly talking about the amour all shiney look you can get from the dc2rs dash thats all..

the only thing i reckon in the photos the dc5 has over the dc2r is the door handle lol but even then WHO CARES!!! DC2R ALL THE WAY and i read a fact somewhere along time ago power to wieght dc2r 'JUST' beats the dc5r...

cvc247
24-08-2010, 11:30 PM
ohhh and IMO i find it funny how every single type r comes with carbon fibre inserts EXCEPTTTTTTTTTTT the dc5r lol so IMO again dc2r is a better type r... and k20a compared to b18c7 yea fair enough the b series motor is a 20 year technology but ive beaten dc5s's and dc5rs im not saying by 93478583476 car lengths but i have... and im sure my car has lost power aswell... so i think thats poor effort on the k series behalf...

BUT OTHER THEN THAT i reckon the dc2r and the dc5r are the sexiest hondas out!! =]

GSi_PSi
25-08-2010, 01:00 AM
http://www.integratyper.org/specs/images/audm_dc5/audm_dc5_int.jpg

vs

http://www.integratyper.org/specs/images/jdm_dc2_98/98_JDM_Int.jpg

DC2 RECAROS
http://www.carontrack.com/honda/integra/dc2018.jpg
VS
DC5R RECAROS
http://www.allvehicles.co.uk/9531.jpg

EVLGTR
25-08-2010, 01:51 AM
LOL! i hope they dont close this thread. Theres actually no answer to this, its a matter of personal opinion and looks like DC2 Type-R is still in most people's heart. Would be interesting to read in the future as the post goes on and on for as long as it takes, LOL

Nonobui
25-08-2010, 08:29 AM
DC2r atw. Both are 2 different series, B vs K. Interior od dc2 is just look more simple then dc5.

burak213
25-08-2010, 09:45 AM
We've already seen mod for mod the DC5R>DC2R

can you explain this?

if you mod the dC2R the same as DC5R the DC2R is still lighter meaning it would still beat the DC5R?

Tai
25-08-2010, 10:23 AM
AUDM DC5R K20A engines produce more power than the AUDM DC2R B18CR after bolt ons.

AUDM DC5R is more restricted from factory than the AUDM DC2R

Only issue with the DC5R is the high dash and the suspension as it tends to be a bit tricky to get to most peopls liking.

I've owned both and overall the DC2R is the better handling car where as the DC5R has the better engine.

And TBH this thread has the most stupid replies I've seen.

_bORdO_
25-08-2010, 12:23 PM
:wave:
How ya going burak,

can you explain this?

if you mod the dC2R the same as DC5R the DC2R is still lighter meaning it would still beat the DC5R?

I'm sure some can elaborate more on what im trying to say - but ill try an put it into perspective.

Ok first of all let me start off with saying the AUDM K20A motor in the DC5R actually has just as much potential as the JDM spec DC5R, the differences are fairly subtle.

The new K20A engine has roughly been tuned to output around 130-150kw atw with the standard bolt ons (ie. I/H/E + ecu & tune) and there should be a little left in it yet...
Throw in some hardcore cams and valves, better clutch and fly & intake manifold im sure you would be looking @ 165kw+ (roughly)

To get these results in the older B18C7 takes quite a lot of effort, the DC5 might not be as raw as the DC2's driving experience - but there is more potential in it.

Samm928
25-08-2010, 02:12 PM
i like looking at my cluster knowing that it looks like it can rev to 10,000 =)
instead of a dc5r sport look that only goes to 9000 :(
that extra digit took my breathe away.

Tai
25-08-2010, 02:29 PM

http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

edw-R
25-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I am dc2r fans. The handling of dc2r is better than dc5r as my opinion. Like a kart.

Samm928
25-08-2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

http://movienewsfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/the-fast-and-the-furious.jpg

PWHOAA

midnightdood
25-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm with this guy!

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000263084/polls_thumbs_up_3640_621750_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Zinyo
25-08-2010, 09:41 PM
awww dont be like that! its ok to have a dc5r! i personally just love the dc2r "look"
there wouldnt be a k20 in my car if i didnt live dc5r motors ;)

nice car u got there dude...just stop trying too hard with your "i'll buy for my missus" quotes.

GSi_PSi
25-08-2010, 10:07 PM

i raise you sir

http://i27.tinypic.com/2yw7m2s.jpg

Samm928
25-08-2010, 11:22 PM
i raise you sir

i liek you sir. 2 free soda cans for you on wednesday... LOL

GSi_PSi
25-08-2010, 11:24 PM
wish i could come man, no license till the 8th :(

RtN
26-08-2010, 12:26 AM
dc2r hands down.

burak213
26-08-2010, 01:37 PM
i raise you sir

what year did you travel to when you hit 11000rpm?

i mean time travel wise?

:D

EKVTIR-T
26-08-2010, 03:59 PM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5279/flamestyper.jpg

GSi_PSi
26-08-2010, 04:44 PM
what year did you travel to when you hit 11000rpm?

i mean time travel wise?

The year they discountinued the DC5 due to sales performance :D

RtN
26-08-2010, 05:08 PM
cant wait for honda to make a 2.6L 4cylinder in a dc2r shell -> DC9R FTW

Samm928
27-08-2010, 12:27 AM

nice dude nice! drop the bombshell ;)

burak213
27-08-2010, 07:24 AM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5279/flamestyper.jpg

lol epic!

tis was a bad year :(

EVLGTR
27-08-2010, 01:12 PM
The best thing about DC2R is you can put a K20 in it.

Samm928
27-08-2010, 07:15 PM
The best thing about DC2R is you can put a K20 in it.

you can put a J series in it if your really that into it

mnc
27-08-2010, 10:03 PM
or anything if you have the money =]

EVLGTR
28-08-2010, 02:50 AM
you can put a J series in it if your really that into it

J Series!? fair dinkum?. I still prefer K20'scoz its even lighter than B18C

I shouldve gone back in time with this carhttp://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5279/flamestyper.jpg and told my best mate to get a DC2R instead of a DC5R

Samm928
28-08-2010, 03:25 AM
J Series!? fair dinkum?. I still prefer K20'scoz its even lighter than B18C

I shouldve gone back in time with this carhttp://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5279/flamestyper.jpg and told my best mate to get a DC2R instead of a DC5R

technically its heaver. gotta upgrade front suspension as its heavier. LOL

lucky got the fightex coilovers already. i shall b sweet.

DC2-PWR
28-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Dc2r>dc5r.

rice_spirit
28-08-2010, 03:01 PM
In Japan the DC2 is considered a very old car now. Tuners don't really do anything with them anymore. The K20 powered DC5 is a far superior car and when modded is better again. Sure, the DC2 has double wishbone suspension which lends itself to easier tuning and set up but at the end of the day the DC5 improves on everything, despite what the purists would say.

The Australian delivered DC5 wasn't the full bag of goodies but was still quite strong for a $45k package.

Looking at the extreme end of modification like my car, the gap between the DC5 and DC2 becomes even greater. The chassis is far superior and does a much better job of putting extra power down. If anyone disagrees you're more than welcome to build a similar DC2 and prove me wrong. :)

damn. does this mean if someone was to build a time attack dc2r they are wasting their time with an inferior platform?
it was always my dream to put a k series in my dc2 and turn it into a time attack car.. but if its true that the chassis is inferior too then i would be very sad indeeed =/

damienm
28-08-2010, 03:22 PM
nelson has a jdmk20 dc2r and hes running really fast laptimes in wakefield i think around the low 1.08s

r3ckless
28-08-2010, 03:30 PM
dc4 FTW!

EKVTIR-T
28-08-2010, 03:41 PM
dc4 is a gsi lolz

r3ckless
28-08-2010, 03:43 PM
dc4 is a gsi lolz

I really wish i had that picutre of the bird saying o rrly

Tai
29-08-2010, 08:23 AM
http://orlyowl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/orly.jpg

WATAJK
29-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Man what an interesting read TBH...
IMHO DC5R for me.. Not cause i drive one, it's just my opinion.
i Swapped with a mate for a week DC2R for DC5R... God... SR3's are fkn smaller..
Disaster to be honest.

C/F inserts look grouse.. mmm Carbon but i prefer the DC5R newer look.. it may not be as raw but new motor means GREATER potential IMHO
As others have said, it's not as tuned as the DC2R was..
Put a KPRO in a stock K20A2 and watch the magic mmmmmm

DC5R > DC2R

spyda00
30-08-2010, 09:10 AM
had a bit of a read through good thread.
ive owned a dc2 itr and now dc5 itr and i must say that the dc2 will always be a big favorite of mine for the day its a great drivers car. i like the dc5 a little more these days because its newer and improved in a lot of places. but i feel the dc2 may have handled a little better from stock but it had a bit of a scary tail whip if not used to it.
what i really want to know is how the ep3 compares to the 2 :) can any one comment who have driven the 3 ?

firepower
30-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I believe its a personal preference. When hunting for an ITR 3 years ago, test drove both JDM DC2R and JDM DC5R. In my opinion, DC2R chassis is better but DC5R has a better engine with better response and better brakes with the Brembos! If you are looking for a type R you need to ask yourself the question, "Do i want an everyday car or a car I'd love to fang around the tracks on the weekend?"

DC5R has all the creature comforts thus the less "hugging" seats, sound deadening, aircon and stereo while DC2R is literally a loud stripped down street car with minimal creature comforts, no sound deadening, thinner windscreen. DC5R was probably built to cater for a larger market segment since DC2R isn't exactly everyones cup of tea. You can't exactly show up at a business conference in a loud low slung DC2R because you look out of place. The lower roofline makes it a bitch trying to get in and out off if you're a tall bugger. To add, wearing a business suit in DC2R seats is uncomfy! DC5R fills all these gaps i've mentioned.

At the end of the day, driving a stock DC2R makes me feel like I'm driving a racing car with bucket loads of fun despite the age while driving a stock DC5R made me feel like i was driving my mum's Accord Euro. I personally feel that Honda released DC5R as a tiger without fangs because of what they've done. They could've pushed the envelope further by removing all the sound deadening etc but that means that the DC5R is still again catered to the same bunch of people who loved the DC2R.

At the end i still picked a DC2R because i can still put DC5R brembos into them, k20a engine and box and if you feel the chassis has lost rigidity, foam fill it up and it'll feel rigid again. In the real world, if you're a real type R fan, buy a DC5R as a daily driver and keep your DC2R as a weekend track car :)

Just my 2c

Spyda00, I have driven all 3 but i can't comment because i didn't fang the EP3! The owner was in the car with me :(

EVLGTR
02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I've read somewhere a few years ago that Honda Australia actually imported a Japanese market dc5 Type-S and rebadged it to a Type-R

rice_spirit
02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I've read somewhere a few years ago that Honda Australia actually imported a Japanese market dc5 Type-S and rebadged it to a Type-R

i always thought that it was a US Type-S
correct me if i'm wrong..

spyda00
02-09-2010, 09:40 PM
its the little things i remember from my old dc2 itr compaired to my dc5 itr.
has any one ever noticed that the dc2 itr has no wind screen sprays on the bonnet where most other cars including the dc5 do. i always loved that on my old teg

mnc
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I drive a dc2r, and also have driven like 2 or 3 other dc2rs.

They all feel different lols.

pure_na
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
its the little things i remember from my old dc2 itr compaired to my dc5 itr.
has any one ever noticed that the dc2 itr has no wind screen sprays on the bonnet where most other cars including the dc5 do. i always loved that on my old teg

what are windscreen sprays? the water-shooting-things lol? cos mine has them...

Wez_R
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
what are windscreen sprays? the water-shooting-things lol? cos mine has them...

yes and i never realised that if they don't haha

pablos8
03-11-2010, 07:31 AM
They don't have them on the bonnet, theyre on the bit between the windshield and the bonnet... well they are on my dc2 and mates dc2r

flop101
26-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Is the general consensus that the dc2 is still better than the dc5?

Daveho1
26-06-2013, 06:00 AM
is this what you do? drive around ozhonda in your corolla digging up old threads?
don't worry about what random internet ppl say buddy go test drive both and see what you like best

EKVTIR-T
26-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Is the general consensus that the dc2 is still better than the dc5?Dc2 great handle on track for me. But Dc5 more power for push me in car

Swoopdown
27-06-2013, 02:10 PM
flop the DC2r has 5 speed and DC5r has 6 speed box so understand that you wont be able to shift from 2nd to 6th like you love to in your Sportivo in the DC2r, you will have to just do with shifting from 2nd to 5th :)

m0nty ITR
02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
don't worry about what random internet ppl say buddy go test drive both and see what you like best

How many decent examples of either are actually left? The Clio 197/200 is probably the better modern alternative now.

Setanta
03-07-2013, 01:03 PM
^^ A few under 100K kms, mine has 43K on it. Not sure about the 5Rs.

Clios do not resell well sadly

EKVTIR-T
03-07-2013, 01:06 PM
didnt your clutch cylinder kark it?

you keep saying such low kms but I reckon its fake lol

or it was thrash before

m0nty ITR
03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Clios do not resell well sadly

Yet more proof that they are the buy of the century. You can pick one up for the same price as an 03-04 DC5. Cups are a little more but get the Brembos, Cup chassis and Recaros.

integraR
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
dc2r at 5 gear too load for freeway
dc5r for moar comfort daily features

also dc5r cheaper than dc2r noadays

dc5ftw

EKVTIR-T
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
dc2r at 5 gear too load for freeway
dc5r for moar comfort daily features

also dc5r cheaper than dc2r noadays

dc5ftwand dc5 give more push me in car

if you get dc2r you will always dream of kseries so why settle for 2nd best

u mad?
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
buy dc2 with k

b18c has groce push me in car

EKVTIR-T
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
yeah if you can find one already swap for cheap it will be worth

but doing the swap on top of buying dc2r ends up too much,then youre in ballpark for better cars

flop101
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
what about s2000?

u mad?
03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
yeah if you can find one already swap for cheap it will be worth

but doing the swap on top of buying dc2r ends up too much,then youre in ballpark for better cars

true m8

unless u p plater

in which case

a stock dc5 with big sound system

rhys.l
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM

or it was thrash before

Didn't it used to be turbocharged? Proof kms aren't everything..

Yet more proof that they are the buy of the century. You can pick one up for the same price as an 03-04 DC5. Cups are a little more but get the Brembos, Cup chassis and Recaros.

Mate picked up a 172 for 5.8k last year. You can make money off them if they are written off lol. Basically a slightly slower, but more torquey dc2r with better steering. They are awesome little cars.

m0nty ITR
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Didn't it used to be turbocharged? Proof kms aren't everything..

Mate picked up a 172 for 5.8k last year. You can make money off them if they are written off lol. Basically a slightly slower, but more torquey dc2r with better steering. They are awesome little cars.

Agreed. Cult status in Europe. Very popular as the Lutecia in Japan, but here they are lurker a amongst enthusiasts. Anyone who considers themselves a true hot hatch aficionado acknowledges their potential. So many great hot hatches out of France. Clio Williams, Renault Turbo, 205 GTI, Clio 172, 185, 197, 200, Megane 225/230, 250/265, Citroen DS3 Racing.

I've actually been on the lookout for a 205 GTI of late. They're either $2k rust buckets or $18k modded ones. Nothing in between that just needs a bit of TLC. Because they're so rare a well kept one is now appreciating. I bet some owners don't even know what they're sitting on.

I'm surprised more. People don't look at French cars for P plate friendly performance drives.

mocchi
03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Agreed. Cult status in Europe. Very popular as the Lutecia in Japan, but here they are lurker a amongst enthusiasts. Anyone who considers themselves a true hot hatch aficionado acknowledges their potential. So many great hot hatches out of France. Clio Williams, Renault Turbo, 205 GTI, Clio 172, 185, 197, 200, Megane 225/230, 250/265, Citroen DS3 Racing.

I've actually been on the lookout for a 205 GTI of late. They're either $2k rust buckets or $18k modded ones. Nothing in between that just needs a bit of TLC. Because they're so rare a well kept one is now appreciating. I bet some owners don't even know what they're sitting on.

I'm surprised more. People don't look at French cars for P plate friendly performance drives.

how good are they compared to dc5r?

m0nty ITR
03-07-2013, 10:18 PM

They're more like the DC2 than the 5. The 5 is boring and neutral in my opinion. I'll post some YouTube links shortly.

Clio 182 - http://youtu.be/5SAiFlzrO-A

RS250 vs R26.r - http://youtu.be/MimwetzER7c

Clio RS200 III vs Focus RS - http://youtu.be/Ae4RqTW5UDU

Clio RS200 IV - http://youtu.be/KsUPixwMDg0

Clio RS200 on BMI - http://youtu.be/CjeQp6YkPUw

Megane RS265 Nurburgring FWD record -http://youtu.be/5SAiFlzrO-A

Apologies for taking things off topic but if you haven't been introduced to Renault Sport before you may find these really interesting, and surprising.

flop101
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM

wouldnt a better comparison be between an Ep3r?

flop101
04-07-2013, 01:02 AM
They're more like the DC2 than the 5. The 5 is boring and neutral in my opinion. I'll post some YouTube links shortly.

Clio 182 - http://youtu.be/5SAiFlzrO-A

RS250 vs R26.r - http://youtu.be/MimwetzER7c

Clio RS200 III vs Focus RS - http://youtu.be/Ae4RqTW5UDU

Clio RS200 IV - http://youtu.be/KsUPixwMDg0

Clio RS200 on BMI - http://youtu.be/CjeQp6YkPUw

Megane RS265 Nurburgring FWD record -http://youtu.be/5SAiFlzrO-A

Apologies for taking things off topic but if you haven't been introduced to Renault Sport before you may find these really interesting, and surprising.

in your experience, are is the clio or megane more difficult (in regards to maintenance, repair costs and fuel) than the 147 gta?

m0nty ITR
04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
in your experience, are is the clio or megane more difficult (in regards to maintenance, repair costs and fuel) than the 147 gta?

Hell no! It's really important to keep the servicing up to date though. The timing belt service is expensive but critical. They're actually very reliable bar the 172/182 having a few gearbox issues.

rhys.l
04-07-2013, 09:59 AM
The only other issues I know of are the engine mounts failing. I think the dc5 can have similar problems anyway.

One other bonus with the clio sports that I didn't mention above is the fuel economy. You can pretty easily average around 6L/100km if you don't thrash the car everywhere. Integras can't get anywhere near this sort of economy.

m0nty ITR
04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
The only other issues I know of are the engine mounts failing. I think the dc5 can have similar problems anyway.

One other bonus with the clio sports that I didn't mention above is the fuel economy. You can pretty easily average around 6L/100km if you don't thrash the car everywhere. Integras can't get anywhere near this sort of economy.

Either can I. Always 11-12/100kms.

flop101
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Hell no! It's really important to keep the servicing up to date though. The timing belt service is expensive but critical. They're actually very reliable bar the 172/182 having a few gearbox issues.

So that means the 197 is probably the safest bet.
One thing I didn't like about the 147 gta was the shifting felt too soft, .It didn't feel direct what so ever. Ep3r on the other hand felt firm and very direct when shfting. Renault Clio the same go as the 147 or ep3?

m0nty ITR
04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
So that means the 197 is probably the safest bet.
One thing I didn't like about the 147 gta was the shifting felt too soft, .It didn't feel direct what so ever. Ep3r on the other hand felt firm and very direct when shfting. Renault Clio the same go as the 147 or ep3?

My 200 has a great shift. Not quite as tight as the DC5, but good enough.

A good 197 can be had for $14-18k these days. Just make sure servicing is up to date. Best buying from OZRS members and the like. Because they're such low volume every car has a history that someone knows of. Keeps the bad cars out of circulation.

flop101
04-07-2013, 04:00 PM
My 200 has a great shift. Not quite as tight as the DC5, but good enough.

A good 197 can be had for $14-18k these days. Just make sure servicing is up to date. Best buying from OZRS members and the like. Because they're such low volume every car has a history that someone knows of. Keeps the bad cars out of circulation.

Thanks for the info.

Setanta
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM

or it was thrash before

DLO01 belonged to Dean who mods these forums and the car is well known enough on these forums and ClubITR not to be dodgy. His build: http://www.tunerzine.com/view-article/factory-fresh-typer#gallery
Turbocharged until he took the kit off it. Purchased by me at 29,000kms. Now, there may be some truth to what you say, until you jump in and feel how tight the car is. Neither Dean or I used it as daily driver and the turbo kit was on for about 5000kms according to him.

Dean had a Competition brand Stage 4 clutch installed for the turbo set up and didn't return it to stock. Between the fact that the car has spent a lot of its life as a garage queen and the fact that the seal on the clutch cylinder had died does not mean overuse. In fact seals go bad from lack of use and a bit of dampness getting into the fluid can be detrimental - this I know after owning numerous cars over 27 years of holding a licence and more owning a car. If you'd met Dean, you'd realise that "thrash" is a kiddy term. Quartered - yep in turbo form (can't remember what he quoted me he'd done). Driven as designed - yep, by both of us. Thrashed, I doubt it.

Anyway, PM DLO01 if you think it's fake. :)

DreadAngel
04-07-2013, 05:15 PM

147 GTA way more difficult... I'll leave it at that XD

Winter
06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Dc5 better....coz of year made

Daveho1
06-07-2013, 05:02 PM
in the same way jazz is better then nsx

m0nty ITR
06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
in the same way jazz is better then nsx

I see what you did there. Guess i'll stop pining for a mint BMW 2002. Might as well go get that E36 318i now.

WATAJK
07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I see what you did there. Guess i'll stop pining for a mint BMW 2002. Might as well go get that E36 318i now.

Didn't know you still popped in on the forums Sam lol

Setanta
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Actually, there was a nice 2002 up for sale a couple of weeks ago. Full resto job. Do want but can't afford :)

m0nty ITR
10-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Actually, there was a nice 2002 up for sale a couple of weeks ago. Full resto job. Do want but can't afford :)

Is that the purple one with spot lights? $18k seemed like a lot for a car that was so polarising as far as taste was concerned. I'd love an Alpina White one wiith BBS rims, Recaros, decked with ITBs.

Setanta
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Dark green with Alpina pin-striping for 12K. Period correct wheels as well. Gumtree ad is gone now or I'd link the pic.

m0nty ITR
11-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Dark green with Alpina pin-striping for 12K. Period correct wheels as well. Gumtree ad is gone now or I'd link the pic.

That sounds OK. Would be shopping for one right now if not for the new kart I just picked up.

cbauto
12-07-2013, 01:43 AM
DLO01 belonged to Dean who mods these forums and the car is well known enough on these forums and ClubITR not to be dodgy. His build: http://www.tunerzine.com/view-article/factory-fresh-typer#gallery
Turbocharged until he took the kit off it. Purchased by me at 29,000kms. Now, there may be some truth to what you say, until you jump in and feel how tight the car is. Neither Dean or I used it as daily driver and the turbo kit was on for about 5000kms according to him.

Dean had a Competition brand Stage 4 clutch installed for the turbo set up and didn't return it to stock. Between the fact that the car has spent a lot of its life as a garage queen and the fact that the seal on the clutch cylinder had died does not mean overuse. In fact seals go bad from lack of use and a bit of dampness getting into the fluid can be detrimental - this I know after owning numerous cars over 27 years of holding a licence and more owning a car. If you'd met Dean, you'd realise that "thrash" is a kiddy term. Quartered - yep in turbo form (can't remember what he quoted me he'd done). Driven as designed - yep, by both of us. Thrashed, I doubt it.

Anyway, PM DLO01 if you think it's fake. :)
My CMC died at 70k, probably due to being a bit of a hardparker too.

I'm on 90k, would be a lot less if my daily didn't break down.

kingjumbo
09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
How many people do we see doing 1.8lt conversions in their DC5s?

mocchi
09-10-2013, 05:33 PM

what?

RenzokukenJ
09-10-2013, 06:23 PM

huh m8?

integraR
09-10-2013, 06:25 PM

i've seen a 1.8ltr conversion done to a dc4 though

EKVTIR-T
09-10-2013, 06:28 PM
He means K20 is better engine which makes the dc5 better by default I think

RenzokukenJ
09-10-2013, 06:32 PM

how did you get that assumption from this:

"How many people do we see doing 1.8lt conversions in their DC5s?"

integraR
09-10-2013, 06:32 PM

i see

dc5 better

cos of year made

EKVTIR-T
09-10-2013, 06:38 PM
how did you get that assumption from this:

"How many people do we see doing 1.8lt conversions in their DC5s?"http://s22.postimg.org/rg2pub9q9/elementary_banner.jpg

cbauto
09-10-2013, 06:42 PM
K series 4 lyfe

RenzokukenJ
09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
http://s22.postimg.org/rg2pub9q9/elementary_banner.jpg

http://itissochoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/suspicious-fry.jpg

mocchi
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
good info hear guise

kingjumbo
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
huh m8?

lol I could see how random that question could appear

that was my way of saying K20>B18

amant02
09-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I would choose the DC5R - Reasoning:

Inspected ALL Dc2r and DC5R before purchasing 2 weeks ago.

Okay Good luck to the guys who have their DC2R for sale for 15K+ ... Most of them were missing log books, interior looked like it aged well, but it has aged and the sun damage starts to be more then just noticeable. Too me, sure DC2r is a legend, Im a honda fan boy. But paying 15k for a car that turns the oil black on the 1st drive after the oil change. Sorry to break it to the current DC2R owners, you car has done more then that ~150KM that your claiming. Just little things here and there on nearly all had something little wrong that I would not want to part with my 15k. The only one that I inspected was perfect, was asking 19k for the car.... 5k more and i get a s2k (The owner is an ozhonda member)

DC5R. Now its slower then the DC2R and much harder to drive, steering wheel is heavy etc etc etc. But upside, For the same amount of fuel that i put into my 1.6l im getting more KM's out of my new 2.0l motor, thanks to its 6 speed box. Its been 2 weeks since i have done an oil change, Its still golden! Currently car reads 186xxx KMs as well. My last b series was showing 156xxxkm on the clock the fresh oil would turn black the second you turn on the motor. This only cost me 14k.

Its preference i guess, If your after a daily i would say get the DC5r as i did. If your after a weekend car find the damn best Dc2r in the market and dont be fooled by its KM's on the clock, check interior, paint, check to see for welds if the panel bolts still have the factory paint on them etc etc. New for new Dc2r is a better car, but second hand the DC5R wins my books.

cbauto
09-10-2013, 09:23 PM
My dc2r if for sale.

u mad?
09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
My dc2r if for sale.
yeah nah

Type FN
09-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Mine also

u mad?
09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes same with me

i've decided to go dc5

EVLGTR
21-10-2013, 05:59 PM
None. because B18C already makes 200hp and K20A is still at 200hp.

mocchi
21-10-2013, 07:41 PM

strong wat

amant02
21-10-2013, 08:44 PM

You are wrong.

Best b18c makes 147kw with 180/nM ... now a k20a makes 165kw with 215nm

K these are Japanese models, they have better fuel and what not to allow that higher compression. now lets compare aus delivered motors.

B18c7 140kW with 172nM @ 7500RPM (WHOA thats pretty late to make max pull) - found in aus dc2r.

K20a2 147kW with 193nM @ 5600 (thats nearly 2k drop in rpm to make max pull) - found in aus dc5r.

Now the k series technologies that the b series wishes it had, timing chain, 6 speed box, earlier vtec engagement, etc etc the list can go on.

But there is one thing the b series has over the k (in my eyes) that crossover, so much more sexier then the k series.

Jasemas
21-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Could factor in the weight between the two?

zropts
22-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Dc2 with k swap!!

cbauto
22-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Dc2 with k swap!!

Yep, its so good, most people sell them after they build them.

amant02
22-10-2013, 11:54 AM
OH one thing i forgot to mention.

I like the sound of the bouncing off redline on the K series better. Sounds like shes loving it. B series just sounds like its dieing.

mocchi
22-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Yep, its so good, most people sell them after they build them.

if you compare selling car after kswap or with bswap
yeah nah same shit

cbauto
22-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Is there a low sump issue?