PDA

View Full Version : Hows the straight line?

brendan1990
12-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey guys just a quickie, couldnt find a detailed version on faq, what sort of rev range is best to launch an s2k at? and roughly your 0-100kph times, i have heard from 5.5 which i find a bit hard to believe, to 6.5s 0-100kph.
cheers

euromandeluxe
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
everyone has their own opinion - search s2ki to see what some of them are.

most would probably say that for a fast run you'd need to launch hard at around 6000 - 7500rpm.

careful with the diff. having said that some people report having launched heaps of times with no problems. tbh, I haven't got the balls to try; I value my diff too much. haven't launched the car once since I got it (end Jan). imo this is a car for the twisties, not the drag strip

brendan1990
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
yeah i know what you mean about twisties, and i definitely prefer it that way, but being a p platter im gonna come up against another plater commodore sooner or later which i wont be able to refuse XD

sambalam
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM
yeah i know what you mean about twisties, and i definitely prefer it that way, but being a p platter im gonna come up against another plater commodore sooner or later which i wont be able to refuse XD

*flame retardant suit*

xclusive_eg8
12-04-2010, 10:55 PM
*flame retardant suit*

x2 stupid P platers, evan though I am one

vyets
13-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Take it to the 1/4 and find out yourself :) Best way to learn and all cars are diffrent. What kind of tyres you run are diffrent as well, TBH on the street you ain't gonna wana launch anything above 6000rpm, your tyres ain't warm enough. Secondly you shouldn't be launching on the street because you should be street racing all together. On another note, do some searches topics been covered afew times.

I love twisties, I love track, I love drifting I love dragging too. I love the car for everything it can do. I know this car is the perfect track machine, but don't limit yourself just because it's crap on the drag strip. It's fun everywhere else as well, I mean every other car drags and standard vs standard your good old s2000 would maul a good few cars down the 1/4.

JAP-S2K
13-04-2010, 08:43 AM
but being a p platter im gonna come up against another plater commodore sooner or later which i wont be able to refuse XD

Should keep your stupid comments about doing illegal driving to yourself and not post it on a public forum. Regardless whether you have or haven't driven like this. Your the exact reason why P platers are given such a bad name and get flamed so regulary. Man up.

androo
13-04-2010, 09:00 AM
You sir, are an idiot =] street racing is stupid...

Engin09
13-04-2010, 09:17 AM
but being a p platter im gonna come up against another plater commodore sooner or later which i wont be able to refuse XD

if you crash my insurance will rise. please drive safe if you plan on doing this :)

acurabot
13-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I remember reading a JDM Option magazine saying you should launch where your torque is at its highest. Iono if its true and what the variables are i.e. slicks etc etc. Correct me if I'm wrong

aaronng
13-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I reckon you will get 5 seconds after you launch. That is when the sirens come on and that P-plater commodore is an undercover cop. You will lose your S2000 under the new hoon laws and you'll come back here crying.

In other words, don't street race. Go to a drag strip like Calder or WSID instead.

STAiN MASTER
13-04-2010, 01:05 PM

As I get older the common sense of SOME young drivers is getting worse, be responsible don't be another statistic.

ncmx5
13-04-2010, 01:35 PM
LOL's at flaming the noob... realised no one's really answered his question... hahaha.

just remember... burn your clutch rather than break your diff... its cheap IMO unless you want a new diff with 4.77. :D

vyets
13-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I answered his question :P

hehe yea 4.77 that's if his lucky and only break the FD, or else new lsd too xD

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 09:31 PM
umm ok well i guess i should say thanks to those who did answer and maybe thanks to those who said break the clutch not diff??? and dont tell me none of you have ever raced on the street, i know you shouldnt do it, but when you own a 'drivers' car it should be driven not pottered around all day every day. track days are better but its not easy to jsut go out on the track when ever you want, or it wouldnt be in my case anyway when i work all day.

Engin09
13-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Fair enough. race safe :) make sure the road has no potholes, and if u go over one dont slam the breaks <3 (jbird tought me this 1 :D so he can take credit)

and also

be responsible don't be another statistic.

your a statistic either way, if theres 40% of P platers crashing, your the 60% that drove safe. either way fail :)

nickasse
13-04-2010, 09:56 PM
lmfao at all the flames. one guy says what every other guy does and gets flamed for it. there is no difference between dragging and speeding on public roads. you're still breaking the law and it has the same consequence if you follow almost any argument against either one. that said, reading this i'd be under the impression that none of these 'older' drivers speed. i envy the people from these forums who could afford to buy honda's flagship (i think?) model to only drive it the way it was meant to be driven on track days :). to me, that would be a waste of money, but that's only because i don't have that kind of disposable income :).

on the launching, i'm not sure the best way to launch. what i know is that, like others have said, clutches are much easier to replace than diffs, so a lot of people reccommend burning the clutch rather than dropping it. and i also heard from one guy on here who went to the drag strip for the first time, followed opinions and dropped the clutch, and wrecked a whole bunch of stuff. he wasn't bothered by it, which made me happy, but i would have been.

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 09:57 PM
ok well do be honest i dont race often but with my old car i went pretty hard around the great ocean road a few times, but technically your not doing anything wrong cause its 80kph speed limit they just suggest 20kph round some corners =P

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 10:01 PM
on the launching, i'm not sure the best way to launch. what i know is that, like others have said, clutches are much easier to replace than diffs, so a lot of people reccommend burning the clutch rather than dropping it. and i also heard from one guy on here who went to the drag strip for the first time, followed opinions and dropped the clutch, and wrecked a whole bunch of stuff. he wasn't bothered by it, which made me happy, but i would have been.[/QUOTE]

i have never burnt or destroyed a clutch or diff in any car, so i would assume thats a sign im not thrashing the car to hard, obviously if i was interested in dropping my clutch every w/e i would look at something a little more heavy duty, but thank you for your advice =) and i would love to do track days regularly but time and money is always in the way =(

jbird
13-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Fair enough. race safe :) make sure the road has no potholes, and if u go over one dont slam the breaks <3 (jbird tought me this 1 :D so he can take credit)

fail quoting bro lol

I said. If the rear starts to slide the worst thing you can do is to shut the throttle (take foot off accelerator) as this will send the car into a nice little tank slapper. How you fix it is dependent on the situation but the golden rule is don't drive too fast until you know what to do when sh*t goes down.

To the OP, if you get your car impounded don't come on here asking for help lol.
The car is meant to be driven but drag racing is not its forte and most if not all commodores will beat you in a drag race. Don't risk your licence or your diff.

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 10:16 PM
well i would love to do a driving course when i get the spare cash to learn about what to do if i was to lose control, and correction etc. but are u serious about the commodore comment even when they are stock?

nickasse
13-04-2010, 10:16 PM
fail quoting bro lol

I said. If the rear starts to slide the worst thing you can do is to shut the throttle (take foot off accelerator) as this will send the car into a nice little tank slapper. How you fix it is dependent on the situation but the golden rule is don't drive too fast until you know what to do when sh*t goes down.

To the OP, if you get your car impounded don't come on here asking for help lol.
The car is meant to be driven but drag racing is not its forte and most if not all commodores will beat you in a drag race. Don't risk your licence or your diff.

this is the best 'don't do it' response i've ever read. goes to show that you can show intelligence in warning people against things without looking like a hipocrit. good work man.

jbird
13-04-2010, 10:19 PM
thanks nick. hope you werent being saracastic lol

brendan, yeah I was being serious about the commodore thing. By the time the 2k hits VTEC they'd be down the road already...

go do a skid pan day, they are fun beyond words and you learn essential skills for driving in the rain.

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 10:21 PM
2 of my mates did this course called.....damn i forgot, whats a skid pan? obviously its a driving course but what makes it different from others?

jbird
13-04-2010, 10:23 PM
it's a wet "car park" that you do donuts on.

develops good throttle control and is fairly easy on the car because the surface is wet.

nickasse
13-04-2010, 10:26 PM
lol i wasn't being sarcastic.

skid pans just a big car-park like area that they wet down isn't it? it's not the driving course, it's what they do the driving course on. basically, you loose control, get scared, and then come to a stop without hitting anything lol. the car thanks you for choosing to lose control on a skid pan, you thank jbird for telling you to go to a skid pan, and everyone lives happily ever after.

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 10:29 PM
ok well ill go do this sometime soon, thanks jbird

JAP-S2K
13-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Nothing like newcomers.

Engin09
13-04-2010, 10:40 PM
lol soz james thx for the correction haha

brendan1990
13-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Nothing like newcomers.
Give me time please, im learning

STAiN MASTER
13-04-2010, 11:46 PM
We've all given it a boot here and there, these days your more likey to become a target then before as there is more attention on speeding now.

With track days, imo its a must if your into spirtied driving, I work 6-7 days most weeks, study at night and on my days off I make time to go out to the track its well worth it and its alot more fun then speeding on the road and much safer, I highly recommend it.

ncmx5
14-04-2010, 01:39 AM
With track days, imo its a must if your into spirtied driving, I work 6-7 days most weeks, study at night and on my days off I make time to go out to the track its well worth it and its alot more fun then speeding on the road and much safer, I highly recommend it.

After a track day, theres a feeling of content... and the addiction of speeding or driving hard is satisfied. So you'll find yourself not needing to speed for a while... Just do it every few months, and you'll be sweet.

If you want to drive hard, just go do mountain runs. That way, if shit hits the fan, you'll hit a tree or a rock wall and not any other innocent bystander... and also those roads have 100kph speed limit... which is sometimes hard to break around corners... so you won't get dicked for speeding as such.

As for racings commodores etc? At the end of the day, your dick's still the same size... so what's the point? They guy's car is worth like 1/4 of yours... and you look cooler anyway...so you don't really need to win whether "it be an inch or a mile"...

nickasse
14-04-2010, 01:59 AM
After a track day, theres a feeling of content... and the addiction of speeding or driving hard is satisfied. So you'll find yourself not needing to speed for a while... Just do it every few months, and you'll be sweet.

If you want to drive hard, just go do mountain runs. That way, if shit hits the fan, you'll hit a tree or a rock wall and not any other innocent bystander... and also those roads have 100kph speed limit... which is sometimes hard to break around corners... so you won't get dicked for speeding as such.

As for racings commodores etc? At the end of the day, your dick's still the same size... so what's the point? They guy's car is worth like 1/4 of yours... and you look cooler anyway...so you don't really need to win whether "it be an inch or a mile"...

i agree with the mountain runs. society doesn't. there was a massive media frenzy over that kid who took a video of himself drifting a little while back. he was in the mountains.

vyets
14-04-2010, 08:42 AM
LOL @ what happened to this thread.

on the launching, i'm not sure the best way to launch. what i know is that, like others have said, clutches are much easier to replace than diffs, so a lot of people reccommend burning the clutch rather than dropping it. and i also heard from one guy on here who went to the drag strip for the first time, followed opinions and dropped the clutch, and wrecked a whole bunch of stuff. he wasn't bothered by it, which made me happy, but i would have been.
i have never burnt or destroyed a clutch or diff in any car, so i would assume thats a sign im not thrashing the car to hard, obviously if i was interested in dropping my clutch every w/e i would look at something a little more heavy duty, but thank you for your advice =) and i would love to do track days regularly but time and money is always in the way =(

Like you can choose what you want to **** up lol, before you know it something will blow. What's the point to burning your clutch .. in a launch? Your launching not doing a burnout. Even with a more heavy duty clutch doesn't prevent anything from breaking. You have an s2000, how could $150 for a track day be a problem, as for time we're all busy most people with a s2000 should be working full time unless they got the easy way out.

LOL couldn't agree more.

However after every track day I'm not satisfied I want to go again LOL.

i agree with the mountain runs. society doesn't. there was a massive media frenzy over that kid who took a video of himself drifting a little while back. he was in the mountains.

That guys tape was for the top gear audition, they blocked off the roads where he was sliding it's been covered.

On another note, skid pans are sick and alot harder then you would think. There's always different courses on skid pan training days but the most popular is drifting a big circle, the surface isn't wet it varies from REAL wet to REAL dry. It's a good way to learn about controlling your car but if you think it's easy lol good luck I went with some of the quicker track drivers and they struggled. This is gonna sound stupid but try drift a big round about in the wet next time, see if you can do more then 1 circle lol, it SHOULD be easier because it's all wet :)
Here's a clip of me doing a skidpan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVYss6__j2Y

Looks easy from the outside but inside I was getting some spaghetti arms happening LOL

JAP-S2K
14-04-2010, 09:45 AM
LOL @ what happened to this thread.

My exact thoughts!

I'm not picking or targeting on Brendan1990, this goes out to most the younger guys and P platers. New young owners seem a very naive. Correct me if wrong.

Most you guys post how your busting your arse to work hard just to afford your car? correct. Then you post about driving you cars hard? correct. My suggestion is you guys should really read through these forum posts. Get an understanding of the car you have bought. Generally S2000's are happy to see spirited driving, with occasional track days here and there. You guys need to remember, these ain't new cars anymore, most have high k's, most have seen a hard life. Used S2000's don't do to well when there abused, not even near new ones for that matter. When shit breaks, and it will! What to do then? Have you factored in how expensive S2000's can be to fix especially if you stuff a gearbox. Let alone driveshaft failure, diff failure and the weak factory clutches.

Thought i'd shine some light on reality, not only through my personal experience but many others that also thought these things are bullet proof. There not in any way or form! If you abuse your car often, best you start to factor in thousands of dollars in repairs. Afterall you guys busted your arse getting this car, last thing i'm sure you'd want, is for it to be parked in your garage or workshop totally f@#ked. I hope it doesn't happen to you.

STAiN MASTER
14-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I learned the hard way by breaking CV's and drive-shafts. This car can be very fragile when abused but driven hard with care it will last.

trentd
14-04-2010, 03:32 PM
the wet is the best fun with an s2k =]

STAiN MASTER
14-04-2010, 03:41 PM
the wet is the best fun with an s2k =]

And also very dangerous, we don't encourage this behavior here.

trentd
14-04-2010, 03:46 PM
its dangerous when you don't know what your doing.

as my dad always says. 'when in doubt, Power out!'

brendan1990
14-04-2010, 03:50 PM
ok so basically i should go to track days, do a skid pan, and not post up so many things without researching first got it.
so how high does the s2k rev to again??.............................just kiding

and i dont think ill be launching the s2k at all after half you guys saying ill break my diff =/ which is good advice.

trentd
14-04-2010, 03:56 PM
You won't break your dif! if you had a commodore and launched at 6 gran you would break your diff, there fairly strong and the car isn't holding to much weight.
i have a mate that owns a s2k and he goes around and around in circles in the dry and his car still runs like new.
Have a bit of fun mate. thats why you got the car didn't you?
cant just drive it around being perfect.
give it hell :)

vyets
14-04-2010, 04:02 PM
ok so basically i should go to track days, do a skid pan, and not post up so many things without researching first got it.
so how high does the s2k rev to again??.............................just kiding

and i dont think ill be launching the s2k at all after half you guys saying ill break my diff =/ which is good advice.

Meh upto you man, at the end of the day it's your car do what you want. I do strongly advise you not too because it CAN happen and I hear stories about it too many times. In all dead honestly I've had my car for over well 2 years, I've launched drag/drift/track my car that many times it's not funny. And LUCKILY.. nothing has happened to my gearbox/diff/clutch or anything to do with the car, I crack my rotors/damage them often as I like to brake hard on the track but that's about all. But at the end of the day... I'm just lucky *knocks on wood.

There was a guy here asking me for tips and stuff, he went to the drags had 3 runs blew his box... It's just luck of the draw man but it doesn't mean these things are unbreakable. I take care of my box and change my oil very often, change the diff oil and baby the car when I'm not going hard. At the end of the day man, people here aint flaming you n shit we're giving you advice and some people have learnt first hand how much of a hassle and costly it is and **** they all say "it ain't worth it" I mean, if you have having "trouble" getting money to go to a track day imagine the kind of trouble you will get when you gotta replace shit and s2k parts aint cheap.

its dangerous when you don't know what your doing.

as my dad always says. 'when in doubt, Power out!'

Another one that thinks his invincible

There's a reason why professional drivers still crash..

trentd
14-04-2010, 04:09 PM
invincible, its about the thrill. you cant tell me when going around a round about you don't just wanna let it slip out a lil ;P.
i think its safer losing traction in a rwd car then a fwd in some ways, rwd you have the chance to bring it back. fwd your going straight buddy lol.
i don't think im invincible. i just like to have a bit of fun. they didn't create cars to just stick by a speed limit and behave the whole time.
why else would they be powerful and fast?

JAP-S2K
14-04-2010, 04:13 PM
No-one said that. It's more the point of don't be dickhead and post it on a public forum. Everyone's guilty of getting up to no good, but it's only the noobs that post it.

Also you own one do you?

brendan1990
14-04-2010, 04:22 PM
At the end of the day man, people here aint flaming you n shit we're giving you advice

and i only ask these questions to get advice, so if you say your have heard on many occasions of people breaking specific parts then im going to be alot less likely to launch the car.

JAP-S2K
14-04-2010, 04:29 PM
No-ones saying baby the thing or drive it like an indian drives a camry. Maintain it well and give it plenty of stick. Don't abuse it. Like burnout's, doughnuts, launches.

trentd
14-04-2010, 04:30 PM
You won't break much by launching it now and again. its when you launch 2 to 3 times. Then your just asking for stuff ups.
No i don't own one, i have driven numerous, and i have to say, they are absolute fun.

brendan1990
14-04-2010, 04:36 PM
i didnt say i wont drive it, i just dont think ill launch it

trentd
14-04-2010, 04:40 PM
No-ones saying baby the thing or drive it like an indian drives a camry. Maintain it well and give it plenty of stick. Don't abuse it. Like burnout's, doughnuts, launches.

thats perfect right there. but the burnout side of things, i mean yeah it does a bt of damage to your car. but it also waistes expensive tread :O.
tires are to expensive these days to stuff up

brendan1990
14-04-2010, 04:57 PM
well ive never done a burnout outside of a commodore for that exact reason of tires.

trentd
14-04-2010, 05:04 PM
haha well the only reason you buy a commo is to do burnouts XD
yeh tires are too precious

brendan1990
14-04-2010, 05:08 PM
haha well the only reason you buy a commo is to do burnouts XD

so true

vyets
14-04-2010, 05:27 PM
You won't break much by launching it now and again. its when you launch 2 to 3 times. Then your just asking for stuff ups.
No i don't own one, i have driven numerous, and i have to say, they are absolute fun.

Obviously that's why you don't know. Why do you think so many s2000 owners reccomend NOT doing this shit because the cars diff is fragile..

Here's a clip of some guy blowing his shit up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXIJpILiaw

Here's afew victims, just a quick search and you come up with that many topics about blown diffs.
http://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?query=diff+blew&per_page=25&sort_by=&sort_mode=relevance&start_date=&end_date=&user=&forum=&topic=

There's nothing wrong with "having fun" and trust me, I've had my fair share of stupid shit, but noone goes and brags about it. It's the attitude towards it..

ludecrs
14-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm gone for 3 days, and you guys reak havoc in here. lol.

Thread closed for now until I get back home on Friday.