View Full Version : 5th gen f22

julian_s13
13-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys got a single cam 2.2 5th gen a bit sluggish and ideas of some mods i can do..
obviously intake extractors exhaust anything elsel?

sambalam
13-04-2010, 01:11 PM
H22 swap, not cheap but

julian_s13
13-04-2010, 03:34 PM
would i be best off buying a front cut for that ?

safetycar
13-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Plenty of mods you can do to a F22. Check out http://www.bisimoto.net/ those guys get some serious power out of them. H22 I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out cheaper to just sell your Si and buy a VtiR. Get all the extras that way to. Sunroof, climate control, 5 lug hubs, bigger brakes, etc.

NaChOs
13-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Do h22a's and f22's have the same engine mounts??? does anyone know this?

safetycar
14-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah, same mounts. Same mounts for all engines offered F20, F22 and H22.

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 08:05 AM
My preludes already got sunroof,electric windows a/c all that stuff and its only an si does this mean its just got factory extras ?

trentd
14-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Save the exhaust for when your pushing more power but i recommend:
- cold air intake or pod filter at least.
- If manual, better clutch and flywheel(lightened)
- Ignition timing alter.
- better spark plugs.
- just running 98 octane.
- Better fuel filter.
- Good oil, Motul?

Thats some cheap stuff you can do to get a bit more go!

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeh thanks man any ideas on the intake side of things .. ive found there so freaken expensive to get a proper made one..

trentd
14-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Look honestly just the pod on its own will do a fair bit.
if you do wanna go for the metal intake, have a look around the net.
This is kind of stuff i did before i went turbo. and don't let anyone ever put ur si down. u don't need vtec to make serious power ;)
Any car can go fast. i do highly recommend the lightened flywheel if its a manual. that made a big difference. and there not too dear.
let me know

NeRV
14-04-2010, 12:02 PM
save up for a turbo kit :P

trentd
14-04-2010, 12:32 PM
that what i did ;)

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 01:01 PM
its so expensive turbo kits with the means of rebuilds forgies and what not ... Whats the deal with lightnening the fly wheel? who can do it and around about what does it cost ? obviously replace the clutch while its out.. any good sites for aftermarket gear in australia ? do any other model intakes fit the prelude ?

safetycar
14-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Not sure lightening the stock flywheel is the best idea. If you want the lightest then get a Fidanza aluminium one. Slightly heavier you can get single piece chromoly steel ones. Competition clutch do a reasonably priced light chromoly one.

trentd
14-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Because its lighter the engine doesn't have to try so hard to turn it. it makes up for a fair bit of the engines weight and having a lighter one will make the car rev a lot faster and accelerate a lot better.
Fidanza make some good ones and so do exedy, just depends on how much you wanna spend. i have a 7.5lbs one which is really good.

you can get the stock flywheel machined to be lighter, and it prob will work. its just the fact that they weren't made to be machined that much.

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Where did you get yours from ? how much did it cost ?

trentd
14-04-2010, 02:08 PM
i got it from a place called rocket industries. my company has an account set up with them so i got it fairly cheap. 170-180 i think i paid off the top of my head. i think they have the fidanza ones on ebay. have a look at them.

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 02:10 PM
yeh saweet ill have ageez now gotta get this thing going haha

julian_s13
14-04-2010, 03:38 PM
is it worth looking into getting a cam for it also ? also ive got a set of koni shocks and springs in the ass end of it and for some reason it seems to sit higher than normal...??????? as far as i can tell there not adjustable .. feels like its riding on the bump stops

trentd
14-04-2010, 03:45 PM
If your looking at just a bit of an increase then dw about cam's for now. there expensive for what you get out of them.
Do all the stuff you wanna do first and then think about cams or what is next.

safetycar
14-04-2010, 04:00 PM
The aluminium wheels are two piece and some people have had problems with the teeth coming off whether that be from cranking the engine whilst running and/or from the different heat properties of the two materials. No such issues with a single piece wheel. Looking at around 9.5lb minimum though vs. 8.5 for the Fidanza. Also remember that a lighter flywheel will effect the idle/launching. Most people don't have any issues, but something to keep in mind. Will spin up quicker, but due to less inertia it will also spin down faster.

trentd
14-04-2010, 04:04 PM
i love my 7.5, its holding my power no prob. Idle isn't bad!
You don't have to go so light like i have. just depends what u want.
Everyone is different. i'll put a post on when my flywheel gives up ;P

6thgear
15-04-2010, 12:10 PM
My preludes already got sunroof,electric windows a/c all that stuff and its only an si does this mean its just got factory extras ?

the sunroof was a factory extra for the si, standard on vtir's.

turbo if you wanna go hard. otherwise suggestions as mentioned above would suffice for a daily nontrack car

julian_s13
16-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Whats sort of money are we talking to turbo ?

trentd
16-04-2010, 10:58 AM
There is a lot to consider if going turbo.
and there could be a lot to spend. if you want a basic job done with brand new parts i think you would be looking at spending about $6k minimum.
Going NA to turbo is always a challange and there certain things you have to take into consideration.
for example as well as colder spark plugs and different injectors you also need to supply oil to the turbo and have the oil go back into the sump (oil in/return).
If the turbo is also water cooled it needs water as well.
Manifold.
Either a remap of the stock ecu, piggy back or brand new stand alone.
and there is much more.

I did spend a lot of money doing my turbo set up, but i think it was worth it, i love everything about it and i love the feeling of boost.
its different and people don't expect it at all!
so in my opinion its all worth it.

If the decision to go turbo is confirmed and you decide to save the money and do it then don't worry about mods such as extractors and exhaust for the time being because you won't need the extractors and you will prob need a bigger exhaust for turbo either way.

In conclusion if you wanna go turbo then a good way to approach it would be;
- Start with a basic turbo kit you can find for decent dollar.
- upgrade from there.

Make the car turbo first and then go for supporting mods. and there is a lot of supporting mods for a turbo set up. example being bigger exhaust, intercooler,etc.

I hope this helped, if it did would be appreciated to get some good rep out of tis ;)

MWAKU
16-04-2010, 11:26 AM
lol ask grey one to part out her turbo kit

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?112854-BB6-Prelude-1997-*PRICE-DROP*-LOOK!

NaChOs
22-04-2010, 12:24 PM
^^^ she is parting out i think!

julian_s13
22-04-2010, 12:26 PM
sold it damn

sambalam
22-04-2010, 05:04 PM
personally id go turbo,

engine can handle it better than the H series, either way your looking at some extensive work

reasons for H series:
VTEC YO!
decent after market support
it is a great engine
reliable if installed right
wont have to crap your dacks when an officer goes open the bonnet please!....as much

reasons for turbo F
pretty strong internals
could see some nice power while retaining reliability
not as common

but seriously it will be easier to find a lude with a 22 in it and buy it. rather than go through the swap

91KTD
09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I would personally just sell the si and buy a vtir. reason being it will prob end up costing you less than doing mods to an si. I went through all this before i bought my prelude.

trentd
18-01-2011, 08:02 AM
btw i am selling my turbo kit if anyone is interested, just visit my thread in my signature.

gumus89
24-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Save the exhaust for when your pushing more power but i recommend:
- cold air intake or pod filter at least.
- If manual, better clutch and flywheel(lightened)
- Ignition timing alter.
- better spark plugs.
- just running 98 octane.
- Better fuel filter.
- Good oil, Motul?

Thats some cheap stuff you can do to get a bit more go!

Spark plugs will net you nothing noticeable in the slightest.
Better oil, fuel filter and clutch wont either.

98 fuel is a complete waste of money also, seeing as 98 has no extra energy and the F22 CAN NOT use the extra detonation resistance!

The ignition timing altering isnt cheap either seeing as you have to get a standalone ecu and get it tuned. Its an OBDII car after all.

I dont know about the F22 specifically but the H22 responds quite poorly to intakes as well. Netting you a ridiculous 1 kW over stock for the AEM V2 (the best tested). You will get a louder sound though.