PDA

View Full Version : d16y8 into carby eg HELP.

chickeneg3
13-04-2010, 05:00 PM
hey guys,

ive looked for detailed info about d16y8 into a CARBY civic, about which parts i need exactly.

can anyone here help it'd be much appreciated.

markismaximus
13-04-2010, 06:30 PM
hey guys,

ive looked for detailed info about d16y8 into a CARBY civic, about which parts i need exactly.

can anyone here help it'd be much appreciated.

read this:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?100695-ED-Hatch-Rebuild-Ground-Up!

and this:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?125120-Another-ED-build...

these are both for EDs but will be almost identical to what you will require to convert carby EG to EFI

OMG.JAI xD
13-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Its really the most important is wiring and fuel lines.
Fuel lines can be modified but people say from experience that the main fuel feed line cant handle the pressure of an efi system reliably.

markismaximus
14-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Its really the most important is wiring and fuel lines.
Fuel lines can be modified but people say from experience that the main fuel feed line cant handle the pressure of an efi system reliably.

Hmmm I tend to agree with you on the wiring being absolutely critical to get everything working correctly. idealy you would take all the wiring from an EFI car.

I do however disagree with you on the fuel lines not being reliable, comparing EFI lines and carby lines the pipe is identical. Both in OD and wall thickness. Given that most EFI Hondas run between 40-50 psi steel tubing of any kind would support that pressure. Some maths for calculating approximate tubing strength..

Barlow's formula can be used to estimate burst pressure of pipes or tubes.

P = 2 s t / ((do - 2 t) SF) (1)

where

P = max. working pressure (psig)

s = material strength (psi)

t = wall thickness (in)

do = outside diameter (in)

SF = safety factor (in general 1.5 to 10)

The Barlow's estimate is based on ideal conditions at room temperature.

Material Strength
The strength of a material is determined by the tension test, which measure the tension force and the deformation of the test specimen.

the stress which gives a permanent deformation of 0.2% is called the yield strength
the stress which gives rupture is called the ultimate strength

Example: Yield strenth of 304 stainless is 30,000psi. Using the dimensions of a fuel deliverly line of 8mm OD. 0.8mm wall thickness the bursting pressure is 6000psi.

6000psi vs. 50psi????

I think carby lines are more than sufficient as long as you also replace all soft lines with EFI hose (which can withstand over 150PSI.

chickeneg3
14-04-2010, 11:58 AM
thanks guys

thj822
14-04-2010, 12:50 PM
its gonna be alot of work. goodluck with conversion

chickeneg3
14-04-2010, 10:20 PM
everyone keeps saying 'alot of work' but what exactly is involved ?