PDA

View Full Version : interior paint

Cvik_ryda
16-04-2010, 03:28 PM
hi there
What would be a good paint to spray your interior all the plastic trim in a EK. i tried a couple but its easy to scratch and flaking off. Any help would be great. thanks in advance

2MPRS
17-04-2010, 12:21 AM
u can go to places like supercheap auto and get special plastic paint that should stop it from flaking off just prep the plastic beforehand

Cvik_ryda
18-04-2010, 10:17 AM
thanks man

kcokla
18-04-2010, 11:08 AM
get vinyl paint,and make sure you clean the surface thoroughly

steve88
29-04-2010, 12:48 AM
make sure u sand the ****er, i highly recommend buying black interior if u can, one could scratch and the paint comes off black sprayed grey interior = looks like shit

arverson
30-04-2010, 07:55 PM
plastic trim and flaking paint, sounds like you didnt primer it before painting..

steve88
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
^ even if you where anal like me and primed, sanded it etc. one decent enough scratch and it looks horrible all over again. buy black interior

arverson
04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
if you get a scratch all you have to do is simply sand it then prime,paint,clear coat it again. if its deep then bog/putty before sanding

its not like you often get major scratches on those plastic trims that are well out of the way, right?

amant02
18-05-2010, 12:13 AM
if you get a scratch all you have to do is simply sand it then prime,paint,clear coat it again. if its deep then bog/putty before sanding

its not like you often get major scratches on those plastic trims that are well out of the way, right?

You be soo suprised.

mytfoz
29-06-2010, 07:15 PM
u can use automotive paint but here are some steps u can take up.
plastic trimming:
Rough it up with like 800grit sand paper
Primer it (few layers to get rid of sand marks)
wet sand it with 2000 grit
(if you still see sand marks primer it again light coats)
wet sand again 200grit
wax and grease remover (give it a good wipe, no finger prints)
spray colour
that should keep it going.

btw clean ya inbox bro. LOLs

jusybabe
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
i had the same problem spraying my eg4 interior plastic trim...i used VHT hood, bumper trim paint in satin black but it scratched off so easily. This was after a few coats :( i went back to the auto store and they said it was because i didn't use primer but you shouldn't have to with that product. bought plastic primer and tried that on a different bit of trim and let it cure for a WEEK and it STILL scratched off. still trying to source some awesome paint..let you know how i go.

ICACHA
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
people, its not paint you use on trim its dye. :)

edit: plastic needs to be cleaned then plastic primered then painted. paint dont stick to plastic on its own.

jusybabe
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
but i DID clean it!!!
I washed it with warm soapy water and used a toothbrush to get into all the nooks and crannies..
Used wax and grease remover
Sanded it
Wax and grease remover again
Primed with plastic primer
Sprayed with VHT hood,bumper and trim paint
Then left it to cure for a week but it still scratches off!!!!!!!!!!! F%&K!

waix
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
VHT Vinyl Dye

jusybabe
05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
VHT Vinyl Dye

i presumed the vinyl dye only worked on the vinyl bits of the interior... but ur saying use that on the plastic...
you've done this before waix?

honda_zivic
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
it works on both if u prime da fuker.

i use u-pol spray can works like a charm even scratches dont flake off.

ICACHA
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
i painted my boot trim years ago and its held on very well, only a few scratches but no flaking.

K&H bumper paint but it still needs plastic primer.

waix
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
i presumed the vinyl dye only worked on the vinyl bits of the interior... but ur saying use that on the plastic...
you've done this before waix?

Yeah buddy I have done this to the whole car. Hasn't flaked on me yet, only nasty when you get a scratch or scrub but i think that's what happens when you paint it.