PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Coilovers

aimen
16-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi guys i have decidied to get a set of coilovers instead of springs.

Im not going to get the low height and ride i want with springs.

So have decided to go for coilovers.

Only thing is i dont know nothing about them.

Can some one tell me how they work? And do i need to buy anything else when istalling coilovers?

All im after is a coilover which is adjustable in height so i can lower it and make it higher anytime and a good ride i dont want it bumpy.

Im not going to track the car only daily driving.

What is the best bang 4 your buck coilover on the market that is suitable for me.

Budget is $1000. Please help because the springs on my car are awful and im getting to the point where i dont want to drive it because it is too bumpy.

Thanks heaps cheers.

VTECMACHINE
16-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Try find some second hand Tein superstreets if you want good branded coilovers. They are the best bang for your buck coilovers. Of find some buddyclub N+/Junior spec dampers. They are good!
There are a few cheaper branded coilovers, but I don't really rate them personally.

Coilovers, is a fancy name for a shock and spring combo. Where a spring sits over a shock absorber is techincally a coilover. Stock suspesnsion in Honda's are technically classified as coilovers It's nothing special.

p3akin
16-04-2010, 09:37 PM
im running ten monoflex but their very bumpy and dear to the pocket... you should def look into BC coilovers.. very smooth ride

r3ckless
17-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I have BC N+. Great coilovers for the street, not as stiff as the RSD, or other coilovers, is height adjsutible also (obviously).. However, the rear's foryou to adjsut it, you ahve to take it out of the car.. having said that, i do reccomend looking intot he Tein range. Also, when i ahd the coilover out to adjust, the bush at the bottom, was worn out.... I wont eb buying buddyclub ever again, but ahving said that... Tey have been nothing but great increase's in looks, ahndling for me.. for the street.

air23box
17-04-2010, 12:31 PM
If you are looking at fully adjustable coilovers, try to get something like Tein Flex, or mono flex. Tein Superstreet is not full height adjustable coilovers. it adjust the height but in the same time will change the spring preload which is not recommanded.

AsHw3e
17-04-2010, 05:58 PM
BC coilovers are great. As i use mine for everyday use. Just recently got mine in a couple of days ago. I cant compare them to other coilovers as these are my 1st purchase. IMO these are great for its price. $1200 :)

96VTi-R
17-04-2010, 08:38 PM
You could look in to K-sport, my friend installed a set on to his V35 Skyline, he reckons there great, there dual height adjustable so you can dump your car and reasonable price.

aimen
18-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know if the tien basics are good?

My budget is 1k.

Thanks

aimen
18-04-2010, 05:10 PM
You could look in to K-sport, my friend installed a set on to his V35 Skyline, he reckons there great, there dual height adjustable so you can dump your car and reasonable price.

How much are they? Cheers

Lowiez
19-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know if the tien basics are good?

My budget is 1k.

Thanks

With a budget of 1k you'll need to look at second hand coilovers or a shock/spring combo.

but if it can stretch a bit..
Im riding with tein flex's (discontinued, look at tein monoflex) the ride is not too stiff for street imo and handling is a great improvement over stock.
Height is easily adjuster and dampener settings (softer/harder) is even easier adjusted

ChrisSX
19-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I recommend stretching the budget and going for the V1 Series of BC Racing coilovers. These can be picked up for $1199 brand new and are an excellent product. I've been through countless brands of coilover and these rated up there with the likes of Cusco. More adjustment, better ride quality and they performed just as well! I have read very few, if any, bad experiences with the BC products.

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

When I chucked coilovers on my DC5, I found that the settings were quite off, so don't cheap out on getting a wheel alignment afterwards!.

Also, since it's for a DC5R, I'd recommend getting some inverted tie-rod ends to correct the rod angle since you sound like you want to go pretty low. A rear camber kit wouldn't go astray either.

typeS__
19-04-2010, 09:31 PM
BC coilovers are great. As i use mine for everyday use. Just recently got mine in a couple of days ago. I cant compare them to other coilovers as these are my 1st purchase. IMO these are great for its price. $1200 :)

hey whered u get ur bc coilovers for $1200?? which ones are they??

aimen
20-04-2010, 06:23 PM
So are the BC Coilovers your talking about are they Buudy club? Or something else....

what about tien basics??????

illuzi0nz
20-04-2010, 07:35 PM
BC racing coilovers are not buddyclub coilovers. They stand for BorChan, and are made in Taiwan. From what I have read, BC's first lot of coilovers (V1 series and such) had poor quality control and were not very good, and hence have a bad stigma put against their name. However, their latest series (gold BR, ER) have been a greatly improved and I have only read good reviews about them, since they are based on the tein design and other improvements. Having said that, I haven't read of anyone having the set of BC BRseries coilovers for more than a year, since they're still new, and so reliability and life span is yet to be determined.

Tein Basics are alright if all you're looking for are height adjustments, as they have no dampening, camber, upper pillow mount adjustments. Spring rates for basics are the same as SS, except with pre-adjusted dampening to 8, which is in the middle of the 0-16 point damper adjustments on SS model. Some find it too soft for the street.

I am in the midst of finding a set of coilovers myself, struggling to justify whether or not to pay for functions I may not even put to good use ..

p3akin
20-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I have BC N+. Great coilovers for the street, not as stiff as the RSD, or other coilovers, is height adjsutible also (obviously).. However, the rear's foryou to adjsut it, you ahve to take it out of the car.. having said that, i do reccomend looking intot he Tein range. Also, when i ahd the coilover out to adjust, the bush at the bottom, was worn out.... I wont eb buying buddyclub ever again, but ahving said that... Tey have been nothing but great increase's in looks, ahndling for me.. for the street.

BC doesnt stand for buddyclub... its borchan the ones im talking about

aimen
21-04-2010, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=illuzi0nz;2725970]BC racing coilovers are not buddyclub coilovers. They stand for BorChan, and are made in Taiwan. From what I have read, BC's first lot of coilovers (V1 series and such) had poor quality control and were not very good, and hence have a bad stigma put against their name. However, their latest series (gold BR, ER) have been a greatly improved and I have only read good reviews about them, since they are based on the tein design and other improvements. Having said that, I haven't read of anyone having the set of BC BRseries coilovers for more than a year, since they're still new, and so reliability and life span is yet to be determined.

Tein Basics are alright if all you're looking for are height adjustments, as they have no dampening, camber, upper pillow mount adjustments. Spring rates for basics are the same as SS, except with pre-adjusted dampening to 8, which is in the middle of the 0-16 point damper adjustments on SS model. Some find it too soft for the street.

I am in the midst of finding a set of coilovers myself, struggling to justify whether or not to pay for functions I may not even put to good use ..[/QUOTE

Im not going to track all i want is height adjusment i want to lower it very low so it looks nice and adjust it higher if i ever get a defect or i end up going somewhere far into the country.

How is the ride on these though? And when you say soft does that mean?
what do these do or what are they used for: no dampening, camber, upper pillow mount
adjustments.

cheers

Stev0
21-04-2010, 07:23 PM
agree about the bang for buck on BuddyClub N+ coils. being adjustable in height and damper i found they were probably the better ones for eveyrday use. i have been in BuddyClub RSD coils they are too stiff for everyday driving but were very good(they were also height and damper adjustable).

but as to ur budget possibly a good shock/spring combo would be a good option.

aimen
21-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok than starting to get a good idea. Still need more info but.

So BC GOLDS are better than BC V1 yer?????
How much are tien basics?

And what do these do or what are they used for:
1. dampening,
2.camber, upper pillow mount adjustments

Also guys what di inverted tie rods do and what does a camber kit do????

DC4Integra98
21-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Go BC BR series. You can pick them up for $1150 ;)

AsHw3e
22-04-2010, 09:09 PM
hey whered u get ur bc coilovers for $1200?? which ones are they??

Got my coilovers from OTR (On The Run Motorsport). There the BR series.

aimen
22-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Got my coilovers from OTR (On The Run Motorsport). There the BR series.

Ok so BC is the way to go
ebay has the bc v1 seriers are they the ones to get???????????

AsHw3e
22-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok so BC is the way to go
ebay has the bc v1 seriers are they the ones to get???????????

get the BR type bro.

Nighthawk_S
23-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Has anyone tried the BC type RM coils? These use an inverted strut design, cost a lil more than the other types mentioned. I was considering these and wonder if anyone has any experience?

ChrisSX
23-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok than starting to get a good idea. Still need more info but.

So BC GOLDS are better than BC V1 yer?????
How much are tien basics?

And what do these do or what are they used for:
1. dampening,
2.camber, upper pillow mount adjustments

Also guys what di inverted tie rods do and what does a camber kit do????

The BC Golds (BRs) are better than the V1 series if you want to pay the extra $100. BCRacing said that the difference is essentially that the BR have a wider range of damper adjustment and can become MUCH firmer than the V1 series, which is good for track work. They personally recommended the V1 series for the street. The V1 series that is available now is NOT an old product, they have been completely re-designed just like the BR series.

1. Dampening is the firmness of the suspension. IE hard or soft ride.
2.Camber is the angle of the wheels in or out.. like when you see a car that's dumped on wide/large wheels with the top of the wheel just tucked under the guard, that's an example of negative camber..... hard to describe without pics.. google images ftw!
-Upper Pillow Mounts allow you to adjust camber. They give greater steering response/feel. The downside is that they can become clunky over time and require maintenence/replacement.

Inverted Tie Rod Ends - Corrects the angle of the tie rods between the strut and the steering rack. It's a bit hard to explain this...
Camber kit.. is to adjust rear camber... upper pillow ball mounts aren't available for the rear.

aimen
23-04-2010, 06:25 PM
The BC Golds (BRs) are better than the V1 series if you want to pay the extra $100. BCRacing said that the difference is essentially that the BR have a wider range of damper adjustment and can become MUCH firmer than the V1 series, which is good for track work. They personally recommended the V1 series for the street. The V1 series that is available now is NOT an old product, they have been completely re-designed just like the BR series.

1. Dampening is the firmness of the suspension. IE hard or soft ride.
2.Camber is the angle of the wheels in or out.. like when you see a car that's dumped on wide/large wheels with the top of the wheel just tucked under the guard, that's an example of negative camber..... hard to describe without pics.. google images ftw!
-Upper Pillow Mounts allow you to adjust camber. They give greater steering response/feel. The downside is that they can become clunky over time and require maintenence/replacement.

Inverted Tie Rod Ends - Corrects the angle of the tie rods between the strut and the steering rack. It's a bit hard to explain this...
Camber kit.. is to adjust rear camber... upper pillow ball mounts aren't available for the rear.

Ok thanks man. getting a good idea now.

what would you go for Tien basics, BC br series or BC V1 series?

Not going to track just street use, which of these is the best for ride quality? I want to go pretty low in between the tyres and rims which will best suit me?????

Thanks by the way i got my injen cai today installing tomorrow cheers

AsHw3e
24-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Ok thanks man. getting a good idea now.

what would you go for Tien basics, BC br series or BC V1 series?

Not going to track just street use, which of these is the best for ride quality? I want to go pretty low in between the tyres and rims which will best suit me?????

Thanks by the way i got my injen cai today installing tomorrow cheers

^
your gunna love the sound of ur car once its installed :P

aimen
25-04-2010, 09:41 AM
^
your gunna love the sound of ur car once its installed :P

Wow what a sound took 4 hours to install.

aimen
25-04-2010, 08:03 PM
sO what should i go for Tien basics, BC br series or BC V1 series?

Gotta love the sound of vtec using injen cai, i used to have a s2000 4 years ago and i thought that was loud, type r dc5 definatley louder

AsHw3e
29-04-2010, 08:23 AM
sO what should i go for Tien basics, BC br series or BC V1 series?

Gotta love the sound of vtec using injen cai, i used to have a s2000 4 years ago and i thought that was loud, type r dc5 definatley louder

BC Br series :D ... ahhh... s2k.. damn :D y dc5? thought ud go back to a s2k?

aimen
29-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Yer s2k, i was gonna buy another one but i said to myself been there done that. Try something different. Besides i think that the dc5r looks better than the s2k i reckon its faster too.

AsHw3e
30-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Yer s2k, i was gonna buy another one but i said to myself been there done that. Try something different. Besides i think that the dc5r looks better than the s2k i reckon its faster too.

really? .. i always thought s2k's would be the fastest 2ltr na's. considering they got more power and there lighter? .. stock 4 stock i reckon the dc5r looks better.. but once the s2k has its rims and kit n lowerd.. there pretty PHAT :D .. off the topic a little bit but in ur opion what would be ur likes n dislikes betweend the dc5r n s2k :D

aimen
30-04-2010, 09:14 PM
really? .. i always thought s2k's would be the fastest 2ltr na's. considering they got more power and there lighter? .. stock 4 stock i reckon the dc5r looks better.. but once the s2k has its rims and kit n lowerd.. there pretty PHAT :D .. off the topic a little bit but in ur opion what would be ur likes n dislikes betweend the dc5r n s2k :D

DC5R DISLIKES:

recaro wear
vtec on stock airbox cant hear anything

S2K DISLIKES:

Not as comfortable to drive compared to dc5
roof fade
very noisy
need to really do them up to look good.
petrol eater

AsHw3e
03-05-2010, 01:15 AM
DC5R DISLIKES:

recaro wear
vtec on stock airbox cant hear anything

S2K DISLIKES:

Not as comfortable to drive compared to dc5
roof fade
very noisy
need to really do them up to look good.
petrol eater

nice nice :D thought pet woulda been the same? mm all goods tho, s2k crossed my mind once but nothing further then that :P

aimen
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
nice nice :D thought pet woulda been the same? mm all goods tho, s2k crossed my mind once but nothing further then that :P

Yer all good my opinion id rather a dc5r than s2k ive owned both now so yer.

kairi_k
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
personally i would go straight for the buddyclub n+. they are amazing for street use. stretch your budget a little more. worth every extra penny

bajajracing
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Go BC BR series. You can pick them up for $1150 ;)
where can i get this price?
i want one so bad....
thank you

sokkie23
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
hey... i have some buddyclub N+ for sale... pretty much brand new... bought them less than 2-3 months ago... still have receipt and warranty etc.
i bought them for street/track use and they are not stiff enough in my opinion...

shoot me a pm and we can work a price if you want. can let them go for cheap if you take them asap.

cheers

type_AHH
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
For those interested in BC Racing BR series (black and gold) coilovers, you can get them from On The Motorsport in Clayton if you are in Melbourne. Alternatively, you can also buy online from justjap.com

I'm pretty sure the prices for both places are $1300, which is not bad imo

AsHw3e
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
^^ Yep thats exactly right. OTR is the way to go :D

Super-DA9
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Lemme tell ya somethin, Buddyclub N+ go LOW. :P haha I've got a set on my DC2, i think they give great performance but they are a bit pricy at $1700.

I've also heard good things about BC coilovers, plus they only cost like $1199! :D

type_AHH
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
^^ Yep thats exactly right. OTR is the way to go :D

Did you buy a set from there ashwee?

AsHw3e
05-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Did you buy a set from there ashwee?

Yeah I did mate. Johnnys a sick c#nt :D lolz.