PDA

View Full Version : Apexi VAFC II

Civic Type R
27-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Im getting my custom 4-1 mugen style headers, 2.25 cat back and mugen twin loop muffler installed in a week or so and i have a question.
Should i get an APEXi VAFC II or not worth it ?
This is for my VTiR hatch with B16A2.

genesis
27-11-2003, 03:35 PM
vafc can't tune ignition.... get a programmable ecu

vti-2
27-11-2003, 03:48 PM
VAFC is a waste of money. IMO people get them for the 'rice' factor. If you want serious performance benefits, do what was suggested above. :thumbsup:

VTEChnique
27-11-2003, 03:55 PM
the difference in $$ between VAFC and a fully programmable ECU are quite HUGE !! that's why he's asking.. besides THAT, Adam has no internal modifications - just I/H/E.. so a piggyback is what he's looking for..

Adam -
I thought your headders were based on ITR rather than Mugen !!
Is that a GENUINE Mugen Twin-loop ? WOW !!

:D :D :D

Civic Type R
27-11-2003, 04:04 PM
shuddup bede u post whore :D :iluvu:

but yeah im not into something as big as the fully pro systems yet. Just piggy backs at this stage.

A'PEXi
27-11-2003, 04:23 PM
yes, unless you want to go through all your ecu settings and re-program them then i would suggest a replacement ecu. i don't think you will need to mess with those settings in the early stages of modding... with i/h/e etc...

a vaf-c II will allow you to adjust the fuel curve as well as vtec low/high cam settings... some people have had gains of about 10rwhp from adjusting vtec points alone. it will allow you to get the most out of your mods if tuned correctly (ie. using the dyno).....

just my 2c.

genesis
27-11-2003, 04:34 PM
If you plan on playing around with your internals in future, i would suggest getting hondata instead of a vafc.

Hondata is good for the price.

Civic Type R
27-11-2003, 04:35 PM
a vaf-c II will allow you to adjust the fuel curve as well as vtec low/high cam settings... some people have had gains of about 10rwhp from adjusting vtec points alone. it will allow you to get the most out of your mods if tuned correctly (ie. using the dyno)....

yes thats just what i want.
i dont need a full dedicated fuel management system or MOTEC, etc.

Civic Type R
27-11-2003, 04:38 PM
hey its taken me 4 years to get this far :roll:
I dont think i'll be doing any internal work at this stage.

[hondata] where are you ? :o

dcii_sir
27-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey dude.. you might wanna try finding an Apex'i ITC as well.. hehe. .that way.. u can adjust the ignition as well.. The VAFC works best with the ITC for maximum power gain.. you'll need to get a 2nd hand one coz they stop making them.. they shouldnt got for more than 300 bucks

Weq
27-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Many people have used AFC's with success on a wide range of cars. It doesnt give u a perfect tune, but for the money/ease of tune i rekon its better then spending it on other things. I dont care what people say regarding piggybacks and learning, it think the results within the different communities reflect that these devices do work (and can for many many months in a row), and if u can get them for cheap, its quite bang for buck.

Civic Type R
27-11-2003, 11:48 PM
cool, thanks for the replies everyone :)
If i can get it for just over $400 brand new and tuned to gain another 10-15hp atw then i would think its a good investment. :D

BLKCRX
28-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Honestly i wouldn’t bother going the AFC, even though it does offer slight fuel alterations, I would get some cam gears instead and advance your ignition, there’s much more gains there than there is with basic fuel curve bending. The hardest part when working any NA engine is getting valve for money when doing modifications, do what works, not what looks good, if that involves saving money then do so.

Regards James

Weq
28-11-2003, 10:52 AM
What kind of effects do cam gears have? i always hear em used, but i'm not that up on how they work?

Civic Type R
28-11-2003, 11:38 AM
i hear the best is advance the intake by 2 degrees and retard the exhaust by 1. Is that correct ?

so i'll look for AEM or ? cam gears and dial in these numbers, tune it with the VAFC and hopefully it will all be a little beast :)

Is this the best idea ?