PDA

View Full Version : running costs for dc5r PROBLEM

Prince_James
20-04-2010, 08:59 PM
hey guys
recently decided that i am gonna save up for a DC5R for when i get my green P plates (ill be 18) prolly be my first car, might have seen my other threed of BB6 vs DC5R. but now i have another problem, when i do save up for the car and then buying it how do i afford running it? like for instance i looked up some insurance quotes and they come out to about 4.5k a year for comprehensive and third party, then there is rego and stuff. after that petrol is gonna cost about 2- 3 K a year and servicing. this is before i even start thinking about mods. Im really stuck for solutions for this problem :( so any advice would be greatly appreciated. ( please dont post negative comments ) im sure everyone here has a passion for the car they love. :D
oh should i consider just getting third party and not comprehensive ? cause that will save a fair bit of money ?
cheers

GEG
20-04-2010, 09:10 PM
are you asking for suggestions on what to do, regarding not being able to afford the car?

then you cant afford it? you have to pay to play. it's not a cheap car, which is why most people start off with beaters as their first car, unless they save for many years.

dont even bother trying to cut out insurance, because if you have an accident, and you arent fully covered .. how do you plan on paying to fix it? if you have no funds?

if you buy the cheapest you find, you'll no doubt have running probs = $$$
if you save up more, and dont get hot headed in to buying it straight away - get a cleaner car, and have more in the bank by then.

it's simple really - you cant afford it yet. either wait, or lower your sights. theres no way around it.

Eskimo_firefighter
20-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey mate, well for a car like a dc5r i would get comprehensive no matter what, even if you drive like a granny on public roads you might do stupid shit and crash it somehow. Get dc5r as a first car by all means but i wouldnt get the car without full comprehensive. Check just cars for a qoute i think they would be the cheapest for p platers.

And also p platers arent allowed to mod there cars to increase performance, just letting you know but p platers go and mod them anyway.

ASSaZiN
21-04-2010, 12:09 AM
always get full insurance, i believe its a must. perhaps having the car registered in your parents name and have you listed as one of the drivers will save a load of money. Many people do that its not illegal. Also consider cheaper options, having a DC5R as a first car is a dream, but your first car is the one you want to make all your silly mistakes on and learn from.

xntrik
21-04-2010, 12:18 AM
You're over-thinking.

Look kids, if you can afford to buy a car, you should be able to support the car that you have just bought.
I know its like your dream car and all, but if you cant afford to run it, maybe aim for something more realistic?

I wouldn't buy a lambo, even though I would like one, but I wouldn't be able to afford to run that.

ITS GOOD that you're saving and buying it on your own, rather than use your parent's funds; I give you the :thumbsup: for that.

And you're over-thinking, you even added petrol cost into your budget serious? How do you know how much petrol you'll be pouring?
Insurance is once off a year, you can pay monthly they have a plan for that I am sure of it.

You're paranoid about crashing already? Sh!t, if you don't drive reckless I am sure that your car will be fine, of course you can't avoid other idiot drivers,
but it pays to be a safe driver yourself.

If you can't even afford to pay's the car running cost then get something that you can afford.

Reality is harsh.
I don't mean to target you or anything but I just don't think its worth it for you to buy something you can't afford to drive.
Most of us here would rather buy a bomb, and eat, then; to not eat and drive an awesome car.

curtis265
21-04-2010, 01:45 AM
all these replies are exactly right. I'm driving my parent's car right now, have been since i got my P's. Saving for my S15 soon XD.

Don't cheap out on insu for sure. What if the car gets vanadalised? Hail damage? Stolen even?

That'd bum you out for sure, losting 25k worth of car!

Prince_James
21-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the comments guysss regarding putting it under my parents name dont insurance companies base it on the youngest driver now? At least thats what i heard. And i know if i do get the dc5r i will take whilest driving.
Its just that i have seen quite a few people own dc5rs for their p plates And was wondering how they afford it. I mean if they can do it, then its not impossible.
Never the less thanks for the comments. Im gonna stck with full insurance and take care driving well see how things crank out

EK1.6LCIV
21-04-2010, 08:30 AM
don't buy a car with performance enhancements on your p's unless your rolling in the folding stuff, not worth it, even now I still cont justify what they would want hence I own a base model civic lol, why would I pay that sort of coin for insurance, that's bloody higher than Porsche numbers for a 25-30 yo per year

Advice for people under 25 or on p's:
*buy a car that you could care less about if it's dinged in a car park as repairs on Type R anything are horrendously expensive
*you'll be a target to local police purely as you are a young driver and they will find any excuse to hand out yellow tickets for your mods based on that p-plate hanging off your back end
*paying anything over 700 a year for insurance is ridiculous, seriously I'd rather jet the fk out of oz each year than pay for a high over inflated insurance premium, just me hey
*keep a safe distance when driving at all times

CRXDEL501
21-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Advice for people under 25 or on p's:
*buy a car that you could care less about if it's dinged in a car park as repairs on Type R anything are horrendously expensive
*you'll be a target to local police purely as you are a young driver and they will find any excuse to hand out yellow tickets for your mods based on that p-plate hanging off your back end
*paying anything over 700 a year for insurance is ridiculous, seriously I'd rather jet the fk out of oz each year than pay for a high over inflated insurance premium, just me hey
*keep a safe distance when driving at all times

you said it ryan! couldnt agree more.

you gotta learn to walk before you can run.

curtis265
30-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the comments guysss regarding putting it under my parents name dont insurance companies base it on the youngest driver now? At least thats what i heard. And i know if i do get the dc5r i will take whilest driving.
Its just that i have seen quite a few people own dc5rs for their p plates And was wondering how they afford it. I mean if they can do it, then its not impossible.
Never the less thanks for the comments. Im gonna stck with full insurance and take care driving well see how things crank out

That's not a hard question ... really. It's most likely parental help.

But, it's definitely possible. If you start working at Maccas at 14.y.o... until you're 18, i'm sure you'd sum up to something like $20k, lol.

Mikecivic78
30-04-2010, 10:15 AM
hey guys
recently decided that i am gonna save up for a DC5R for when i get my green P plates (ill be 18) prolly be my first car, might have seen my other threed of BB6 vs DC5R. but now i have another problem, when i do save up for the car and then buying it how do i afford running it? like for instance i looked up some insurance quotes and they come out to about 4.5k a year for comprehensive and third party, then there is rego and stuff. after that petrol is gonna cost about 2- 3 K a year and servicing. this is before i even start thinking about mods. Im really stuck for solutions for this problem :( so any advice would be greatly appreciated. ( please dont post negative comments ) im sure everyone here has a passion for the car they love. :D
oh should i consider just getting third party and not comprehensive ? cause that will save a fair bit of money ?
cheers

Get a BB6.

It'll be much cheaper to buy and more conspicuous than an R. It might eat more fuel, but insurance will be much cheaper.

You could also learn how to service a car yourself, it's far from rocket science and it'll save you hundreds, if not thousands.

Hope this helps,

Mike

p3akin
30-04-2010, 10:51 AM
get a job?? or part time if your a student??

M@lew
30-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a DC5R on my P's. 2nd car however, first car was my Jazz (which I miss :p ) and learned heaps from it. Insurance is cheaper and you can learn everything from a car like that than you can a DC5R etc. Petrol is a big difference though, around $20 - $30 difference per tank (both running 98, even more if the Jazz was on 91) and even though I work 2 jobs it's still hard to manage. So yeah, like everyone else has said before me, if you don't think you'll be able to maintain the costs grab a cheaper car, especially if you're worried about basic necessities such as fuel.

Mikecivic78
30-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Why don't you get an EM1 or EK4, or, even better, a DC2? They are all great cars, and they are cheap to run and insure. Cheaper on fuel and the have more mods available than the BB6. You can get a good example of one of those cars for $10-$12K.

Get an R when you have a decent full time job and can afford it.

Prince_James
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
get a job?? or part time if your a student??
yeahh i have a job right now part time but its not earning enough as i am only 17 =(

Prince_James
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I have a DC5R on my P's. 2nd car however, first car was my Jazz (which I miss :p ) and learned heaps from it. Insurance is cheaper and you can learn everything from a car like that than you can a DC5R etc. Petrol is a big difference though, around $20 - $30 difference per tank (both running 98, even more if the Jazz was on 91) and even though I work 2 jobs it's still hard to manage. So yeah, like everyone else has said before me, if you don't think you'll be able to maintain the costs grab a cheaper car, especially if you're worried about basic necessities such as fuel.
hmm yeah true, i guess ill just keep saving up from now and well see what happens when i do get my green ps.
maybe somethings might have changed. cheers for all the replies guys

-Tom
04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm 18, got an EK.
Insurance under my Dad's name with me as youngest driver, insurance comes to something like 1k a year.
Petrol is about 8L/100km, mainly highway driving to uni. Which is roughly $30 (premium fuel) for the 270 kms that I travel per week.

The engine isn't great since I'm don't have the funds let alone allowed to, but it gets me to uni everyday.

hisoka
05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
if its your first car, get something that your not gonna cry for 10 weeks after you get a scratch on it.

a eg civic gli can be a good starting point. or another brand of car like a mitsubishi mirage or lancer or a nissan silvia or 180sx.

all around 5 grand and all reasonably good maintenance unless you dont treat them well.

good luck

Mikecivic78
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm 18, got an EK.
Insurance under my Dad's name with me as youngest driver, insurance comes to something like 1k a year.
Petrol is about 8L/100km, mainly highway driving to uni. Which is roughly $30 (premium fuel) for the 270 kms that I travel per week.

The engine isn't great since I'm don't have the funds let alone allowed to, but it gets me to uni everyday.

Fully-comp Insurance for my old EJ8 (EK Civic) was only $600 a year. Your old man must have some traffic offences or something, one grand is way too much for an EK. ATM I pay the same (600) for my EM1 Coupe (b16a).

Maybe you guys should shop around for a better insurance company.

Mikecivic78
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
if its your first car, get something that your not gonna cry for 10 weeks after you get a scratch on it.

a eg civic gli can be a good starting point. or another brand of car like a mitsubishi mirage or lancer or a nissan silvia or 180sx.

all around 5 grand and all reasonably good maintenance unless you dont treat them well.

good luck

I gotta say I dont agree with you Hisoka. EG is ok but the only silvia you are gonna get for $5K will be a money pit bomb.

Maybe mirage or lancer, but IMO, they are just povo Civic imitations. They have an element of cheapness to them.

Thats my .2

curtis265
05-05-2010, 09:46 PM
^ fo sho! those old mitsu's feel soooo crap