PDA

View Full Version : Car gets really sluggish randomly

kirks
23-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I drive an ek with b18c with 126,xxxkm and on odd occasion my car gets sluggish randomly.

Even when its like night time and cool/cold under 20 degrees outside.

For e.g when you give it abit of throttle to get it to the right rpm to change gears the revs isnt smoooth and feels like its fully struglling/ something holding it back.

any ideas?

I notice in really hot weather if happens more often but i dont get why it does it when the weather is nice and cool etc. (thermo reads sometimes less than 1/4 and it still happens.)

*coolant is good and not that old.

02gzm
23-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Is it actually misfiring or does it just not feel right? If it's misfiring it sounds like the coil or ICM is getting hot and spazing out. A common B-series problem.

geeang
24-04-2010, 01:08 PM
If it's not misfiring like 02gzm suggested, it might be a dying fuel pump.

My car felt sluggish and almost like it was hesitating sometimes on takeoff, after a week or two it died on a highway.

beeza
24-04-2010, 01:27 PM
It's more than likely a combination of a few things.

Change the fuel filter if its been a while.

Check the timing is set correctly - Link (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120425-DIY-Adjusting-Ignition-Timing&p=2482320#post2482320)

Offcoarse clean the IACV - Link (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?110641-D16y4-IACV-Clean-and-Throttle-body-removal.-Revs-hunting-Look-here.&highlight=IACV+clean)

Calibrate ya tps - Link (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120191-DIY-Calibrating-the-Voltage-on-the-TPS)

And the other thing that could be causing your problem is the 02 sensor.How old is it?

Never expect an 02 sensor to last 100,000k's but they can!

Do all the usual things,clean/replace plugs,clean points in dizzy,sand edge of rotor etc etc

I had a surging/hesitation problem for 1 yr and 9 months,damn near drove me nuts.

1 thing is forsure now,I know my engine REAL WELL :)

02gzm
24-04-2010, 07:15 PM
If it's not misfiring like 02gzm suggested, it might be a dying fuel pump.

My car felt sluggish and almost like it was hesitating sometimes on takeoff, after a week or two it died on a highway.

I had the same problem. The coil died in peak hour traffic on the highway :mad:
Was not fun.

geeang
24-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I had the same problem. The coil died in peak hour traffic on the highway :mad:
Was not fun.

Haha dude, imagine your car dying on the middle of the sydney harbour bridge, blocking 1 out of 2 lanes heading towards the city @ 9pm on a saturday night T_T

02gzm
24-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Lol mine is just as bad.
If you've ever been on the gateway motorway in Brisbane, back when it was 2 lanes I conked out in the morning peak hour crawl in the middle of the road upgrade. So concrete barriers either side of a 2 lane road with me blocking the left lane :o

Luckily there was a tow truck about 50 metres behind me. Screwed up my front lip though. Luckily it's polyurethane.

beeza
28-04-2010, 12:57 PM
DAYUM!!

Always pays to carry a spare + tools for install :)