PDA

View Full Version : Timing

rice_thief86
24-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

I have a d15b7 eg, just had a new distributor installed. But when setting the timing i tried to set to 0tdc but unforntunetly, advance is at it limit on the dizzy. I have check if the timing belt has jumped but sits flat tdc on the cam and the crank pulley. What other issue is there any other way of fixing?

beeza
24-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Subscribed.

Lets see what ozhondarians can answer this one!

~Sp33~
24-04-2010, 08:04 PM
The ignition timing should be set to 16 BTDC not 0.

rice_thief86
24-04-2010, 08:24 PM
sorry i meant that. Even though the white mark (TDC) is sitting 0.5cm off the pointer. and that the furtherest it can go.

markismaximus
25-04-2010, 05:04 PM
maybe:

1. incorrect dizzy. are you 100% its the right part
2. timing light wasn't connected to no. 1 cylinder lead. Also was the timing light set up correctly.
3. you haven't shorted the 2-PIN service check connector which is required when setting timing. Motor is also hot and at normal running temp <--- this is my pick
4. dizzy is installed 180degrees out of time. Lugs on dizzy aren't correctly aligned with grooves on camshaft end

did you do the dizzy swap and timing or a workshop?

~Sp33~
25-04-2010, 05:53 PM
The engine wouldn't run if the distributor was 180* out. Definitely try bridging the service connector before adjusting the timing if you haven't already.

markismaximus
25-04-2010, 06:16 PM
The engine wouldn't run if the distributor was 180* out. Definitely try bridging the service connector before adjusting the timing if you haven't already.

just eliminating all possibilities :p

rice_thief86
26-04-2010, 10:41 AM
maybe:

1. incorrect dizzy. are you 100% its the right part
2. timing light wasn't connected to no. 1 cylinder lead. Also was the timing light set up correctly.
3. you haven't shorted the 2-PIN service check connector which is required when setting timing. Motor is also hot and at normal running temp <--- this is my pick
4. dizzy is installed 180degrees out of time. Lugs on dizzy aren't correctly aligned with grooves on camshaft end

did you do the dizzy swap and timing or a workshop?

1. dizzy is correct. model number td41u is correct.

2. timing light is correctly followed.

3. have shorted out the circuit to calibrate timing

4. dizzy is not 180 degree out of time. Other car would not start.

thanks for mentioning eliminating points.

markismaximus
26-04-2010, 11:19 AM
so you are doing the work yourself? or a workshop?

all the ignition leads correctly connected from dizzy to cylinder? as in leads are on dizzy as specified in FSM?

Inspected ignition leads for damage or cracks and measured resistance? correct as to FSM?

when doing timing are you looking from the correct angle? lining up the two pointers as in pic below. sorry about the fuzzy pic but its the best I have.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/mx83cressida/timing.jpg

timing light may be screwed? is it new? can you borrow a mates so you can do a comparison test?

rice_thief86
26-04-2010, 11:40 AM
so you are doing the work yourself? or a workshop?

all the ignition leads correctly connected from dizzy to cylinder? as in leads are on dizzy as specified in FSM?

Inspected ignition leads for damage or cracks and measured resistance? correct as to FSM?

when doing timing are you looking from the correct angle? lining up the two pointers as in pic below. sorry about the fuzzy pic but its the best I have.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/mx83cressida/timing.jpg

timing light may be screwed? is it new? can you borrow a mates so you can do a comparison test?

the timing light is brand new. Yeah im pointing it to the 2 pointers

~Sp33~
26-04-2010, 03:03 PM
And you're 100% that your cam timing is correct?

What does the car run like? Does it bog/smoke/ping?

rice_thief86
27-04-2010, 02:37 PM
The car isnt running 100%. The timing is a few degrees off from tdc. But I need to advance to get it lined up correctly. I can't advance anymore on the distributor its at its limit.

bennjamin
27-04-2010, 04:47 PM
sure you havent coincidently swapped 2 leads ?

rice_thief86
27-04-2010, 05:56 PM
OK. I think I have solved the problem. It's the distributor.

How? Well I was playing with the internals parts from my original faulty distributor and decided to change over the crank angle sensors from the old one to the new one. What i noticed that the sensor from the new distributor and its not magnetic enough compared to the original one. So refitted and plugged everything back in and started the car. I then check the timing marks were sitting before the red mark of the pulley. But yet still have plenty of room to turn the distributor advance or retard. I followed the timing procedure and voila is now sitting 16 degrees at the red mark. So drove it and now improved in the rev range, no more bog, or hesitation.

markismaximus
27-04-2010, 06:13 PM
that's a pain. should've sent it back. did you buy it from the US?

bennjamin
27-04-2010, 06:27 PM
bad luck....ive bought a dizzy from the US off ebay , felt weaker from the word go and failed while driving about a week later. Cost a few hundred to get it towed back home , and the company that sold it to me gladly refunded me MINUS the restocking fee. Scum.

rice_thief86
27-04-2010, 07:45 PM
yeh i bought it from the US.

dumped echo
28-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Makes you kinda appreciate why the genuine ones cost so much...