PDA

View Full Version : Dash Mats.

Grafe
27-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Are there any airbag approved dash mats available for 2010 FD Civics?

aaronng
27-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Why do you need dash mats? I'd recommend you don't use dash mats.

Reclus
27-04-2010, 11:44 AM
ye i just don't understand why do people need it

johnnyluu
27-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Why do you need dash mats? I'd recommend you don't use dash mats.

aaron, is there a reason as to why you dont recommend?
the pros is it helps prevent cracking of dash but the con would be the clumsiness of the mat and it loses its grip after a while

Grafe
27-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I would have thought that the reasons for using dash mats were fairly obvious.

Prevents UV damage to the dash.

Makes the car cooler as the mats don't heat up and retain as much heat as the vinyl dash.

Easier to clean a mat than the dash.

I have had dash mats on every car and 4wd I have owned. Never had a problem with them moving around. Velcro patches are easily changed if they lose their function anyway. You can recommend all you like but back it up with some evidence so as to be helpful.

Reclus
27-04-2010, 03:20 PM
i just find it very ugly and old fashion that's all
i mean if that's really a need for it then the car manufacturer would have made it themselves for their cars

i clean my dash without any problem
and there're heaps of different products that u can use to make ur dash look good

Grafe
27-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I think you are a little naive if you think any car manufacturer would make the perfect car. Doing a search on here I found a number of people complaining about the state of of their dash. Once you start using restorative products like Meguires and the like you have to keep using them. As the dash dries out and is degraded by UV those products supply fluid fillers and colour. They do do a good job but are expensive and if I don't have to use it I don't have to pay for it unnecessarily. You are entitled to your opinion as to how the dash mats look..so am I.

Reclus
27-04-2010, 05:48 PM
don't say i'm naive, becoz it just reflects the same to yourself
I'm just curious about why won't those manufacturers make better dash
to prevent us to think of getting those ugly dash mats

and what's the problem of keep using those products? They are not that expensive in my opinion
you would have spent it on other polishing products anyway

rey2009
27-04-2010, 06:37 PM
go to autobarn bro

and tell the counter

they will order it for u in a week

aaronng
27-04-2010, 07:18 PM
aaron, is there a reason as to why you dont recommend?
the pros is it helps prevent cracking of dash but the con would be the clumsiness of the mat and it loses its grip after a while

A dash mat is not a good substitute for proper vinyl treatment like 303 aerospace protectant. My car is a 2004 model and I apply 303 once every 2 months. It has been 6 years, 5 of which it was parked outdoors everyday and night, and my dash is like new on the first day I got it from the showroom, minus the new car smell.

If you ever got into an accident (touch wood that you don't), the airbag would deploy, launching the dash mat onto the face of your front passenger. If you have seen airbags after the deploy, they are made of a lightweight fabric. This is so that when it hits your face at full blast, you don't get much injuries other than maybe some burns. If you had the heavier dash mat launching to your face at the speed of the airbag, your passenger could suffer facial injuries, the most minor would already be a broken nose. Imagine a broken cheekbone or impact damage to the eyeballs! Cheap synthetic dash mats (PVC/polyester) also break down from the UV and leave a film on the dash or on the windscreen above it.

aaronng
27-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Once you start using restorative products like Meguires and the like you have to keep using them. As the dash dries out and is degraded by UV those products supply fluid fillers and colour.
That's not true. Vinyl protectant products add UV blockers which protect the dash. They are of little effect if you start using it after the dash is damage. You need to use it from new. That is the mistake that many people make. They only start using it once they notice damage on the dash. Don't buy crap like armorall or the Meguiar's trim restorer. Those are not the right products for UV protection. You need the boutique products that you buy from online stores like waxit.com.au or 303 protectant that Autobarn sells. The cheap stuff that you buy just try to make the trim look darker like you said.

aaronng
27-04-2010, 07:25 PM
don't say i'm naive, becoz it just reflects the same to yourself
I'm just curious about why won't those manufacturers make better dash
to prevent us to think of getting those ugly dash mats

and what's the problem of keep using those products? They are not that expensive in my opinion
you would have spent it on other polishing products anyway
Because cars nowadays are made to a budget price. Having said that, any plastic (or leather) product will degrade when subjected to UV light. Even your skin does the same when exposed to UV. That is why you need a proper vinyl protectant that you use on your dash FROM NEW. That way the dash stays good. Using these expensive and good products are a waste of time AFTER the dash has been UV damaged.

Antv
27-04-2010, 09:52 PM
get some plastic protection products and use a windscreen cover.....like i do. i look after my cars without having to use an ugly dusty dash mat. lol.

Reclus
27-04-2010, 10:03 PM
thanks aaron
so what's the best brand to apply it?

curtis265
28-04-2010, 12:24 AM
interested in thread.

aaronng
28-04-2010, 01:09 AM
thanks aaron
so what's the best brand to apply it?

I've used Meguiars, Mother, Armorall and 303. The best is 303. The downside is that it does smell of damp socks for the first day after applying, but after that it will smell fine. The reason for the smell is that 303 does not have perfume fragrance in it and it was originally designed to protect the vinyl covers on boats which were left out in the sun 365 days a year. No one needed nice smelling boat covers, so they didn't use perfume in the formulation.

Reclus
28-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I've used Meguiars, Mother, Armorall and 303. The best is 303. The downside is that it does smell of damp socks for the first day after applying, but after that it will smell fine. The reason for the smell is that 303 does not have perfume fragrance in it and it was originally designed to protect the vinyl covers on boats which were left out in the sun 365 days a year. No one needed nice smelling boat covers, so they didn't use perfume in the formulation.

Ic
but you were saying that there's no point applying it after my dash has been exposed to the sun for a year now?

Grafe
28-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Reclus...it would be alright to use those products now. A year worth of UV would only have a marginal effect on the dash especially if the car is garaged.

Aaron...I understand your points. I did ask specifically about the availability of airbag approved dash mats. I do use UV protectants on my motorbike seat and the external plastic/pvc/vinyl componants. It does have to be applied regularly to be effective and it is. The dash and vinyl areas internally in the Civic are huge in comparison. Do you find that the 303 attracts dust. The Meguires protectant certainly does. I have used Meguires vinyl protectant as it leaves a non reflective surface. I don't like Armorall as it leaves a very shiny finish. That would reflect onto the windscreen and be distracting.

curtis265
28-04-2010, 10:57 PM
If it's oily it'll get dusty :( which is why i haven't done mine for a while.

6thgear
29-04-2010, 09:32 PM
i find dashmats good for removing glare/reflection that comes up from the dash sometimes, but then depends on the car. good dashmats available have a little cut out to go around the airbag on the passenger side, so no probs with safety there.

havent seen any available for fd's yet though i'm sure they'll come out eventually due to the cars popularity.

aaronng
30-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Ic
but you were saying that there's no point applying it after my dash has been exposed to the sun for a year now?

1 year is alright. As long as your dash is not damaged, you can apply it and maintain how it is now. Of course if it is badly damaged, then you are only doing what Grafe said by feeding it to look good but will look poor once you stop.

aaronng
30-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Aaron...I understand your points. I did ask specifically about the availability of airbag approved dash mats. I do use UV protectants on my motorbike seat and the external plastic/pvc/vinyl componants. It does have to be applied regularly to be effective and it is. The dash and vinyl areas internally in the Civic are huge in comparison. Do you find that the 303 attracts dust. The Meguires protectant certainly does. I have used Meguires vinyl protectant as it leaves a non reflective surface. I don't like Armorall as it leaves a very shiny finish. That would reflect onto the windscreen and be distracting.
With dash mat selection, you have to be very careful, because they can cause injuries when the airbag inflates. Even if you find airbag approved dash mats, make sure they are the type that has an operning or tears to allow the airbag to operate so that your passenger does not get a face full of mat.

For me, 303 doesn't attract as much dust as Armorall and Meguiars. I think it is because 303 is a non-sticky non-oily liquid which when applied using a sponge, soaks in quite well. If you wipe with a clean cloth after it has dried, it actually turns matte in appearance. It is not sticky when you touch it. But dust will always settle as with all cars with fabric interiors, but a quick wipe with a microfibre clotch takes care of that.

Reclus
30-04-2010, 04:23 PM
1 year is alright. As long as your dash is not damaged, you can apply it and maintain how it is now. Of course if it is badly damaged, then you are only doing what Grafe said by feeding it to look good but will look poor once you stop.

So how regularly should I apply it then?
and can I find 303 in places like SuperCheap / AutoOne etc?

aaronng
30-04-2010, 04:41 PM
So how regularly should I apply it then?
and can I find 303 in places like SuperCheap / AutoOne etc?

I try to apply it once a month. However, I have gone for as long as 3 months per application but I try not to do that if possible.

I also found that the best way to apply is using a soft sponge (size of 2 ciggy packs together). A cloth just soaks up too much and does not release it when squeezed. I typically spray a small amount onto the sponge and then apply it onto the dash. I then leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then go over with a soft cloth if I find it too shiny.

Only Autobarn sells 303. It is the one with the purple label, not the green label. Here is a pic:

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1224/351832/1/Water+Toy+303+Protectant.jpg

Reclus
30-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I try to apply it once a month. However, I have gone for as long as 3 months per application but I try not to do that if possible.

I also found that the best way to apply is using a soft sponge (size of 2 ciggy packs together). A cloth just soaks up too much and does not release it when squeezed. I typically spray a small amount onto the sponge and then apply it onto the dash. I then leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then go over with a soft cloth if I find it too shiny.

Only Autobarn sells 303. It is the one with the purple label, not the green label. Here is a pic:

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1224/351832/1/Water+Toy+303+Protectant.jpg

so all of those are the same product with different package?

thanks for all the detail info :)