PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure lamp

PaulsTeg
27-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey,

An interesting thing just happened to me on the way home tonight. I pulled up fairly hard at the lights so the ABS kicked in on my 1999 DC2 VTiR. The roads were wet, as I live in Melbourne. During the ABS event I noticed the Oil Pressure Lamp flash once. The Engine temp was around 1/4, not quite at the normal temp yet.

I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Anyone else experienced such a thing? Any feedback? As it's dark now I can't really check the oil pressure switch. Further to this, the ABS light on the cluster is NOT on.

Cheers,

Paul

DLO01
27-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Whats your oil level like?

IEVAQ8
27-04-2010, 07:28 PM
as above, check ur oil level as if u brakes so hard, possible u got low level of oil and it moved/didnt get enuf in the oil pressure switch hence the light flash.....

this happend to me once in my mums commodore...lol

PaulsTeg
28-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll check the oil level before heading off to work. I had the 120K service done only a few months ago so if I have low oil levels Eastern Honda will be receiving a nice letter from me!

The car is completely stock and I know it's not burning any oil.

Cheers,

Paul

DLO01
28-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeh, just check it. But yeh, as Tom said above. In my old skool Celica 1977 model. Sometimes if I went hard around a corner the oil light would flash, because the pickup actually picked up air for a split second.

dumped echo
28-04-2010, 06:23 PM
gotta love this melbourne weather...

did you check the oil level?

PaulsTeg
28-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey,

I checked my oil level and it wasn't even showing on the dip stick!?! I actually checked it a couple of times; before I left for work after the car was sitting in the garage over night and also after getting home form work (after a 5 or so minutes rest on a flat surface).

I went to get 1 Ltr of 10w-40 and now I can see an improvement on the dip stick.

Clearly there is some sort of issue. I'm pretty sure I'm not burning oil. I drive the car 'normally' in the sense that I change at around 4000 RPM and maybe give the car a poke up to 5000 or 6000RPM once a week. In fact, just now I free-reved the engine to about 6000 RPM and releases the accel pedal and quickly ran to the back and guess what - no smoke!

I had the car serviced at Easter Honda and paid $750 for the 120K service. I have a feeling they did not put enough oil in!

I'm really concerned now that there is damage to the engine. I work in Clayton, does anyone have any recommendations of a mechanic there who can do an oil change, etc?

Thanks heap for your comments!

Cheers,

Paul

DLO01
28-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Paul. Its great that you spotted the oil lamp flashing up. :thumbsup: But I gasped when you said its not even registering on the dip stick. :eek:

You probably haven't done any damage though. As long as the lamp was not on for any continuous amount of time (sucking air), you'll prol be alright.

Your teg is an old car now. I'd be checking the level at least every few weeks, no matter if its serviced by a mechanic or not.

IEVAQ8
29-04-2010, 09:06 AM
is it possible there is an oil leak u havnt picked up...... dont take that the wrong way...

but as deano, said, i would be checking ur oil levels every 2 weeks or so, also the best way to see if any oil is burning throught the exhasut is to have some one follow u while u give the car a little burst through the revs.....but also if ur running stock exhaust and cat, it could be all in the cat, as my ek1 burns heaps of oil, but nothing noticable out the back due to stock exhaust and cat, which muffles it all....

PaulsTeg
29-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey all,

Thanks heaps for your supportive feedback! I called Eastern Honda today and they offered to check the car - no charge! So, over the next few days I'll take it over and have them check it out.

As for oil leaks, I haven't been able to find any! I looked under the engine and it's all clean, I can't burnt / burning oil once the car is parked in the garage and there are no oil marks on the ground.

IEVAQ8, I'm interested in the CAT. Thanks for the info on that. Is there a simple way to check this without having to remove the exhaust + cat system?

Cheers,

Paul

IEVAQ8
30-04-2010, 06:53 AM
IEVAQ8, I'm interested in the CAT. Thanks for the info on that. Is there a simple way to check this without having to remove the exhaust + cat system?
Paul

not really, just make honda pull off the cat from the headers and if it is burning a shit loads of oil, u will see it.....trust me on that...

good luck