PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Break in period?

mugen_ctr
29-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey i just got a new Exedy heavy duty clutch and it feels softer than my OEM clutch, just wanted to know will it feel different after breaking it in?

(ps im asking on behalf of a friend who has a eg civic)

chowdaa
30-04-2010, 12:16 AM
shouldn't really, old one might have felt bit stiffer due to old, unlubricated and worn components or design. Clutch slippage avoidance is critical within the first 5000km or so for proper bedding in.

Aydin
30-04-2010, 04:06 AM
i used a exedy heavy duty before and it had a reasonably hard pedal feel, now im running a exedy Sports organic and it feels the same...it shouldnt feel that soft, was it a brand new kit installed? clutch bearing changed? clutch pedal adjusted???

aaronng
30-04-2010, 08:02 AM
The old clutch could have a worn out pressure plate, which does engage/disengage that smoothly, leading to a heavier pedal feel. The Exedy HD clutch pressure plate is not that heavy anyway. It feels softer than a stock S2000 clutch.

DLO01
30-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Run in for at least 500 kms. Slippage IS needed to run it in. Avoid EXCESSIVE slippage. That means just drive it normally. Do not ride the clutch.

Aydin
30-04-2010, 09:23 AM
The old clutch could have a worn out pressure plate, which does engage/disengage that smoothly, leading to a heavier pedal feel. The Exedy HD clutch pressure plate is not that heavy anyway. It feels softer than a stock S2000 clutch.

heavy duty and sports organic clutch kits have the same pressure plate...iv used both and both felt the same!

AXS
30-04-2010, 09:56 AM
thats true both have same pressure plate so they will both feel the same!

aaronng
30-04-2010, 12:35 PM
heavy duty and sports organic clutch kits have the same pressure plate...iv used both and both felt the same!

Sorry, I was replying to the original post from mugen_ctr.

But to answer your question, the Exedy HD that you drove before with that heavy pedal might have been worn out or there was a problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, hence the hard pedal feel. Exedy HD's pedal feel should not be heavy. It should feel almost the same as stock in a a current Honda, say a DC5R/DC5S.

markismaximus
30-04-2010, 12:58 PM
shouldn't really, old one might have felt bit stiffer due to old, unlubricated and worn components or design. Clutch slippage avoidance is critical within the first 5000km or so for proper bedding in.

From the exedy website:

Do EXEDY clutches require a break in period?
We recommend breaking in the clutch for 1,000 km with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving. EXEDY race discs usually only require a few hard slips to lap in the surfaces prior to normal driving or racing. Do not overheat the clutch during the break in period.

I dont even drive 5000km a year so my clutch would take over a year to be broken in if that was the case :p

MRK20CRX
30-04-2010, 03:20 PM
first 100kms drive like a grandma, then the next 900kms should just be normal driving, just dont redline it the first 100kms otherwise the clutch with spin freely and create curns on your flywheel capisce?

Benson
30-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Run in for at least 500 kms. Slippage IS needed to run it in. Avoid EXCESSIVE slippage. That means just drive it normally. Do not ride the clutch.

:thumbsup:

mugen_ctr
30-04-2010, 05:06 PM
cheers guys, ill let him know about it, an pretty soon ill be getting mine changed to, so its all useful info, thx

chowdaa
30-04-2010, 11:10 PM
sorry my fault. meant 500kms

bloodsword27
03-05-2010, 12:33 AM
was everything required to be changed swapped over for new better bits? might be caused by older parts

Bludger
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
our exedy HD clutch is very light, lighter than oem

light is good isn't it?

easier to drive.

blk_shadow
29-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I've just changed my clutch to single metal clutch. Now, I know that i have to run it in, but is it normal for metal clutch to make noise from standing start (on the friction point) when you apply throttle at the same time?

Has any of you guys here used or using metal clutches?

Thx