PDA

View Full Version : Redlining

1996_EK_Civic
30-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey,

Redlining, good or bad? I have heard both but generally bad.
I was wondering what you guys had to say, either it be good or bad.

Thanks.

djpro1
30-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Haha... redlining ur car is always bad for your engine... you're purposely making ur engine work harder to create the extra acceleration..

the only good I can see out of it is v-tec kicking in :D but no... in all honesty, redlining is just a waste of fuel and can damage ur engine.

chowdaa
30-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Well according to studies, engines are designed and respond happily to operate on 70% load constantly. So generally, less idling, no full throttle on cold engines, red lining ok when required. Some might say. Common sense really..

1996_EK_Civic
30-04-2010, 12:14 AM
yea, i havnt done it. i was just curious to what some people had to say, answers are very mixed on the internet

Mr_will
30-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Well according to studies, engines are designed and respond happily to operate on 70% load constantly. So generally, less idling, no full throttle on cold engines, red lining ok when required. Some might say. Common sense really..

pls show us these studies

xntrik
30-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Red lining constantly will put your motor under alot of stress.
Every now and then will be fine, providing you don't hold it up there on the red-line.

1996_EK_Civic
30-04-2010, 08:33 AM
from what i have heard its oks very now and then as Xntrik said. i have also heard that your shouldn't redline with a stone cold motor

xclusive_eg8
30-04-2010, 08:47 AM
yep my d15b7 has been redlined day in day out for about 1 year now and only problem so far is that the throw out bearing on clutch is getting noisy....But other than that its fine, only rev past 3000rpm when cold, service with good stuff and do a few mins cool down before parking car and you shall be fine

chowdaa
30-04-2010, 11:18 PM
pls show us these studies

Sorry, dont have access to BMW training graph and slide shows, was a while ago. Just passing on what i was taught pal

_bORdO_
03-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I've heard stories with people who baby their car,
decided to give it a thrashing for the first time in its life and the engine shits itself bc its never experienced that amount of strain...

Let your car warm up to operating temperature before thinking of redlining,
IMO - Its good to give your car a work out every so often.... not necessarily to red line but there abouts.
Just so if you decided to red line, or you encounter a situation where you need to push your car, (uphill etc...) it wont shit itself bc its used to the strain you've put on it in the past.

Don't go out and do this daily .... one time during the week when your on a freeway (after correct operating temp) give it a push.
Its a good way of getting rid of carbon deposit build up on cylinder walls...
Just dont do it everyday - simple yeah.

Anyway, there's a reason why there's a red line limit control in every car - so you dont go over red line...

Mr_will
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I've heard stories with people who baby their car,
decided to give it a thrashing for the first time in its life and the engine shits itself bc its never experienced that amount of strain...

Let your car warm up to operating temperature before thinking of redlining,
IMO - Its good to give your car a work out every so often.... not necessarily to red line but there abouts.
Just so if you decided to red line, or you encounter a situation where you need to push your car, (uphill etc...) it wont shit itself bc its used to the strain you've put on it in the past.

Don't go out and do this daily .... one time during the week when your on a freeway (after correct operating temp) give it a push.
Its a good way of getting rid of carbon deposit build up on cylinder walls...
Just dont do it everyday - simple yeah.

Anyway, there's a reason why there's a red line limit control in every car - so you dont go over red line...

Why not do it every day? I do, and my motor is holding up just fine :) I dont drive my car hard when its cold.

_bORdO_
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
well i guess honda's in particular are built to red line...
But Mr Will wouldn't constant red lining do a lot of tranny wear and tear?

Chr1s
03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
The engine hasn't experianced such strain before? I didn't know an engine had to experiance strain before it can become accustomed to the loads applied. The materials in the engine can handle the strain and stresses of redlining.

Honda engines are rather designed for high rpm operation if maintenance is in check and you are smart about it. Take a step back and think how the engine works and what keeps it together, oil for one.

Oil does not act the same at all temperatures, let alone age frames. When the engine is cold, I would not go near high rpm or loads, your VTEC won't even cross over for a start, so if you try, the stupid computer is smarter than you sir. Yes, the computer is stupid because it does what its told by the sensors.

So redlining, it's not necesarily bad, but it's not good either. Don't sit there on the limiter, don't drive around like an idiot in first gear cruising at 40km/h because you like your car being loud, don't rev the car out driving for no reason.

It does minimise the life of the engine, it does use more fuel, it will use more oil eventually, it will require more attention when servicing, etc.

Sorry to talk down to you, but your question does come across with no thought behind it..

Mr_will
03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
well i guess honda's in particular are built to red line...
But Mr Will wouldn't constant red lining do a lot of tranny wear and tear?

depends. i dont burn the shit out of my clutch, or change gears stupidly quickly, so i dont think so. im over 150 000kms on the original clutch because I dont drive like an idiot

Bludger
04-05-2010, 07:42 AM
The engine hasn't experianced such strain before? I didn't know an engine had to experiance strain before it can become accustomed to the loads applied. The materials in the engine can handle the strain and stresses of redlining.

Honda engines are rather designed for high rpm operation if maintenance is in check and you are smart about it. Take a step back and think how the engine works and what keeps it together, oil for one.

Oil does not act the same at all temperatures, let alone age frames. When the engine is cold, I would not go near high rpm or loads, your VTEC won't even cross over for a start, so if you try, the stupid computer is smarter than you sir. Yes, the computer is stupid because it does what its told by the sensors.

So redlining, it's not necesarily bad, but it's not good either. Don't sit there on the limiter, don't drive around like an idiot in first gear cruising at 40km/h because you like your car being loud, don't rev the car out driving for no reason.

It does minimise the life of the engine, it does use more fuel, it will use more oil eventually, it will require more attention when servicing, etc.

Sorry to talk down to you, but your question does come across with no thought behind it..I rep'ed this post.

mainly for the highlighted sentence.

DC2-PWR
04-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Sorry to talk down to you, but your question does come across with no thought behind it..

Answerd my questions aswell,
+1 Rep from me too

thanks heaps

Antv
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
redlining is good once in a while =]

Bludger
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
redlining is good once in a while =]

another one.

WA-EG
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
i have been told a few times that an engine can become lazy if nannered its whole life.
but then i have personally seen a toyota crown break the 500000 mile mark on an original engine cause it was nannered from new.
comes down to driving style. smashing through the gears, high rpms, side stepping the clutch and a dickhead behind the wheel is always a bad combo for an engine. use your head and thread like this become mute.