PDA

View Full Version : Mugen RACE ECU

vtc
16-12-2004, 12:48 AM
I know civic type-r has used this on his civic. But i was wondering if people know whether its really worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7940127670&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This is currently selling on ebay for $150US which i think is pretty reasonable becasue it raises my rev limit to 7000, and increases timing and better a/f ratios. ALot cheaper then getting Apexi AFCs and E-manages with less tunability of course.

A few points i have is it says it is said it can "learn" from the mods you have like a normal ECU but to what extent does it do this, and does it do it effectively.

This ECU is not talked about much here and only civic type-r seems to be the only person using it. Any thoughts from anyone? including civic type-r.

Performance?
Fuel Economy?
Reliability (ei. runs too aggressive for street?)

The ECU on hand is for a 92-95 CIVIC AND DEL SOL NON VTEC AUTO, would be compatible with my 99-00 Civic Cxi (d16y4) auto ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. I know its all a waste trying to make my car faster but every little bit helps. My goals are not very high. Just to give me a bit more go for personal pleasure not for racing anyone.

ProECU
16-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Honestly, I dont understand what the fascination is with JDM, esp MUGEN.

To me, MUGEN proved how inferior they were back in the F1 season. Very poor performance.

These ECU's generally run RICH with poor fuel economy. Raised redline is EASY to do ( its 1word (16bit) ) in the rom. Personally I would not buy such a ECU. Spend money on something more tuneable.

As for the "Learning" this refers to the long term O2 trim, which the ECU will store over time as a compensation towards 14.7 target a/f ratio.
Even STOCK ECU's have this feature.

Just my opinion
Ev

vtc
16-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your advice!

I was just after somethhing that would alter my ignition as well as ive read alot of people has experienced positive gains with advanced timing. The only current cheap thing for me is a SAFC. OR an e-manage which is seems to be pretty expensive. Is there any other cheaper devices they tune timing of an obd2 car?

What about the older Apexi AFC and ITC combo? (The ones with dials)

Civic Type R
16-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I know civic type-r has used this on his civic. But i was wondering if people know whether its really worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7940127670&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This is currently selling on ebay for $150US which i think is pretty reasonable becasue it raises my rev limit to 7000, and increases timing and better a/f ratios. ALot cheaper then getting Apexi AFCs and E-manages with less tunability of course.
Dude that is not a Mugen ECU.
That is a fake replica Mugen OBD1 chipped standard ECU.
Mine is a genuine Mugen Item and OBD2. I even provided the part number for authenticity

ProECU
16-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Definately not Mugen ECU's, seems to me that theyre' P06 converted to P30's

Dont touch'em.

Dude that is not a Mugen ECU.
That is a fake replica Mugen OBD1 chipped standard ECU.
Mine is a genuine Mugen Item and OBD2. I even provided the part number for authenticity

Civic Type R
16-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Do not buy reprogrammed Ebay chipped ECU's. Period

vtc
16-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Done and done. Thanks guys.

Thought it was a cheaper alternative to advance ignition and a/f ratios.

Thanks

Sp3rMz
16-12-2004, 01:46 PM
CIVIC AUTO OBD1 p06 MUGEN RACE ECU

Another ebay goodie :thumbdwn: Watch out for what you buy on ebay

ProECU
16-12-2004, 02:02 PM
I still havent worked out which deal is worse...... the fake mugen or the original mugen......both $hIte

eknine
16-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Honestly, I dont understand what the fascination is with JDM, esp MUGEN.

To me, MUGEN proved how inferior they were back in the F1 season. Very poor performance.

These ECU's generally run RICH with poor fuel economy. Raised redline is EASY to do ( its 1word (16bit) ) in the rom. Personally I would not buy such a ECU. Spend money on something more tuneable.

As for the "Learning" this refers to the long term O2 trim, which the ECU will store over time as a compensation towards 14.7 target a/f ratio.
Even STOCK ECU's have this feature.

Just my opinion
Ev
one thing mugen pours more money into their research....it might not be better but it is still a platform.

mugen = expensive = sure it is...

now the bottom line is -> "agenda selling" is at this best ;)

Weq
16-12-2004, 06:22 PM

actually u cant usuall chip auto ecu's. cause the computer controls the auto as well..

EIther way, anything that cant be REPROGRAMMED isnt work any money. Any mugen POS isnt worth more then a standard ecu.

Weq
16-12-2004, 06:23 PM
btw vtc i might have another e-manage+injector harness soon. 400+post :)

z10
16-12-2004, 06:23 PM
i have mugen ecu in my car

all i can say is well worth the money.

Civic Type R
16-12-2004, 06:29 PM
I still havent worked out which deal is worse...... the fake mugen or the original mugen......both $hIteMine is running my car ok. Theres nothing wrong with it at all.
You may ask why am i selling it then ? simple...
Its designed for an engine with mugen selected cams, fuel rail and other valve train mods. My engine has a stock JDM ITR head and so im not fully using it to its designed potential.
I think making rash statements saying its shit is a bit indecent. No disrespect to you or your product - as its your business, but i dont see it wise for someone in your position to be saying Mugen is Shit on a forum like this.

VTEChnique
16-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Everyone calm down.. are we talking ebay "mugen" chipped ECU or a GENUINE MUGEN ECU (Like Adam's ) ????????

tanghy
16-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I still havent worked out which deal is worse...... the fake mugen or the original mugen......both $hIte

if you live under a stone
don't have access to a dyno

mugen ecu will work best

vtc
16-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I think people are arguing over the point of having a non programable ecu (fake or not) vs a programable one. I think..

But what i have gathered so far is to not buy EBAY fake ecu's.

Im still considering either AFC2 (with extra bling) $350 vs e-manage (no bling but ignition control) $400. Not including tuning and dyno time.

Im at crossroads at the moment, i want to feel the extra performance but im afraid if i go with e-manage, the added ignition control wont do that much more.

What would you guys do? From my perspective.
1. Some Performance + Bling $350
2. Performance and then a little more. $400

We're not talking big numbers for sure but some extra spice would help.

ProECU
16-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Civic Type-R
I wasnt personally criticising your ECU.

If i recall correctly, you've commented to me this ECU runs your car rich & car blows smoke...I guess thats normal?

Is anyone here aware what makes these ecu's special?
Let me tell you, these ecu's are STOCK maps with raised redline and disabled sensors for track racing....... to me, thats nothing special!!

I bet you also dont believe me, but... whatever floats your boat.

Civic Type-R has a Mugen OBD2 ECU for sale, nice guy I recommend him to anyone in the market for an ECU purchase

Civic Type R
16-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Civic Type-R
I wasnt personally criticising your ECU.

If i recall correctly, you've commented to me this ECU runs your car rich & car blows smoke...I guess thats normal?
cheers :)

the car only blew smoke when it was revved past 9000. That tells me the Mugen ECU i have is not for my car.?

and yes i still have it for sale :D

ProECU
16-12-2004, 07:14 PM
I wouldnt be revving past 9k

Civic Type R
16-12-2004, 07:17 PM
i dont - it was only done on the dyno to see the power curve.
i change at 8300 ish and no higher

ECU-MAN
16-12-2004, 08:44 PM
VTC, just so you know, if you purchase the ebay ecu, OBD1 or the mugen OBDII ecu . neither will plug straight into your CXI loom, you will also need to invest in a harness to match the ecu to your loom.

just though you should know as this willl also bump up the cost.

vtc
16-12-2004, 09:07 PM
thats correct... $150 for ECU and $85 for the harness. $235US total. I just thought it would be better then paying $450 for emanage then having it installed, tuned and dyno. So this is more plug and play.

But ive been persuaded not to get it anyway. So my dilemma now is e-manage or afc2 which is same price really with one that you can see and one that you cant.

tanghy
16-12-2004, 09:27 PM
emanage is better than afc2
laptop tuning vs gameboy tuning

vtc
16-12-2004, 10:12 PM
i def agree with the laptop tuning vs gameboy tuning, but i have a commodore 64 so i think the laptop tuning is too much for me. hahaha

Civic Type R
17-12-2004, 12:59 AM
lol Tanghy, what if he gets the Gameboy Advance ?. jj/ks

at the end of the day you get what you pay for.
Do you really want an ECU made by some foreigner u dont know, never heard of, or has any tuning track record and whos sole aim is to make a quick buck on ebay ?