PDA

View Full Version : My Euro - Bad Accident

zubin
02-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi All
My 2006 Euro was in a bad accident today. First accident ever :(

Other guy's fault. ran a red, straight into us.

Air bags didn't deply which was odd.. as it was a massive impact.

Photos attached.

It's done 50,000Km and is insured for about $28,000 agreed value with REAL INSURANCE.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this will be a write off - or whether they will repair it?

I'm concerned if they repair it, there will always be traces of it being in such a bad accident..

Thanks
Zubs

noobcake
02-05-2010, 12:43 AM
write off mate for sure lol!

Mr.PT
02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
agree write off for sure

zubin
02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Really?? I know little about car repair costs.. how much do you think something like this would cost to repair?
I worry that if it costs anything less than the 27k im insured for, they will just fix it..

The other guy wasn't insured either.. which worries me even more.

angel
02-05-2010, 01:33 AM
If your repair cost is below the amount of what the car is insured for, then your insurer will get it fixed. Strange your airbag didnt deploy. Better ask honda, its a safety issue.

zubin
02-05-2010, 01:36 AM
So even if the repair cost is say 25k, and the insured value is 27k, they'll fix it?
Doesn't sound right. Don't they take into account the $$ they'll get from selling it? Ie for parts etc?

How much would this kind of damage (as seen in photos) cost to fix? the engine still worked!

noobcake
02-05-2010, 01:42 AM
They wouldn't fix it because panel beaters certainly must buy oem parts and there really expensive!!!! or you can do backyard blitz style which would prolly cost 4K!

BTW wheres the front reinforcement bar? don't accords have them? seems like the air bag didn't deploy because it didn't touch the air bag sensors.

zubin
02-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Good - so i think the consensus is that most likely this is a write off.
interesting. time to look for a new car....

i just hope the insurer is reasonable to deal with and sends me a cheque ASAP. since the other guy wasn't insured... :(

akina
02-05-2010, 02:13 AM
It will be a write off if the repair cost is over market value for this model car.
But this looks to be a write-off.

neborama
02-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Mate that's a horrible smash.

I'm concerned though why the airbags did not deploy?

freaky shit

zubin
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Where are the airbag sensors?
We were stationary.. and the other guy was going about 70 atleast..

NONE of the airbags went off.. front/passenger or side....

another reason i kinda hope they write it off..

Min988
02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I get the feeling this may not be a write off, doesn't look like 27k damage there. Depends is the chassis has been bend but looking at enging bay your radiator hasnt been pushed that far back. My first car got into an accident with $1130 damage not my fault when it was worth $1200 bottom line was insurance repaired it.

zubin
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I'll soon find out i guess...
if they repair it, i assume it's been devalued straight away? :(

acurabot
02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
they will pay you your agreed value if its a write off. because your airbag didnt deploy, thats cuts of alot of repair money needed so chance its repairable. My friend had a similar crash to yours and they wrote it off because his airbags wouldve costed 6K to replace - car was only 6K market value.

praja6
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=zubin;2736436]Hi All
My 2006 Euro was in a bad accident today. First accident ever :(

Other guy's fault. ran a red, straight into us.

Air bags didn't deply which was odd.. as it was a massive impact.

Sorry to hear the accident mate. The accident seems like a massive one and you are saying the other guy came straight in and smash it. I am really surprised why atleast the front passenger airbag didn't deploy. This is a serious safety issue , regardless of they write off your car or repair i personally believe you should check with HA or Honda Japan why the airbag didn't deploy....

Just want to tell you guys one of the serious sad incident, which was the turning point for me and my friend to purchase a brand new car, instead of a second hand car from government auction or pickles etc etc..

My friend's best friend was a yong Doctor came home to Western Suburb after finish his work in New castle i think it was late 2008. His unfortunate he met an accident, where a car or somethiing hit in side way,his Mazda 6 2003 car was rolled atleast twice. Unfortunately he was killed on the spot...After the investigation non of the airbags didn't deploy at all.. He could have been still alive if atleast the driver side airbad had been deployed..

After the investigation found out, he bought the 2003 Mazda 6 as a second hand from private, found out that car had an accident earlier with the 1st owner and in that accident the airbags had been replaced. Seems like whoever replaced the airbags didn't do the job properly and the owner sold that car after a little while and my friend's friend was an unlucky victim with it..

After this incident, my friend trade in his 2000 model V6 camry bought a Subaru FOrester XS and i just recently nearly 1 month ago bought the Accord Euro CU2..

What i am sayin gis we all are spending and purchasing Euro not only for luxuary, mainly for safety 5 star rating. Whats the point if the safety airbag didn't deploy when needed..

Hope your insurance company will write off your car and get a brand new car mate..

kaze
02-05-2010, 11:25 AM
new parts are expensive, there are alot of small parts in the front and honda chassis are rather weak.

you'd probably find the seatbelt tensioners only went off, they will not retract anymore.
if so front seatbelts, tensioners and srs module would probably cost about $5000 alone. that was the case on an fd1 i did lately.

if the seatbelts work it'll probably be repaired.

noobcake
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
It doesn't depend on if the air bags deploy or not, look at manheimfowles or pickles most of the air bags dont even deploy and they write it off!
http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/vehicle/CP-09-04-Honda-Accord-VTi-Sedan-5-Seats-4-Doors/itemid-1-2144498/lotid-0
Look at that for example, hope that helps you.

Btw its usually where the radiator support near the grille
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4331/bags20001.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/bags20001.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/303/frontbumperm.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/frontbumperm.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Wheres the front bar reinforcement? That's extremely dangerous!!!!!

aaronng
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Really?? I know little about car repair costs.. how much do you think something like this would cost to repair?
I worry that if it costs anything less than the 27k im insured for, they will just fix it..

The other guy wasn't insured either.. which worries me even more.

Thank God that you and your passengers are safe. It is good that you have insurance. That means you can let your insurer chase the other party for the payment.

The reason that your airbags didn't deploy is probably because while the accident was big, it was not big enough to need the airbag. Usually, the airbags are for accidents at the scale of where it is strong enough for your to smash your face into the steering wheel, even with the seatbelts on. If you and your passenger were able to get out of the car without injuries, then I'd say it was because the force of the accident was not high enough.

limleong
02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks goodness you are both OK. That is the most important part.

I concur with Aaronng. The force is probably not high enough to trigger the airbags and the fact that you were staionary when the accident happened. I read somewhere that Honda cars outside of USA
are calibrated to not deploy airbags below 30km/h. This is to minimise secondary injury from airbags deployment.

Seat belt aren't comulsory in some states in the USA so airbags become the primary safety mechanism (which is silly as seat belt is more important in preventing injuries). I also hope that your car got written off so that you can have a piece of mind.

zubin
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Wow - that euro at the pickles site doesn't look ANYWHERE near as bad as mine...

yes, we were able to walk out - we were in shock ofcourse but did not hit our heads on the steering wheel or anything.

Regarding the seat belts.. i honestly can't remember. I'm pretty sure when we unbuckled ourselves, they were OK and retracted.

We were stationery when we were hit from the front.. so i guess that may mean the seat belts still are OK?

praja6
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow - that euro at the pickles site doesn't look ANYWHERE near as bad as mine...

yes, we were able to walk out - we were in shock ofcourse but did not hit our heads on the steering wheel or anything.

Regarding the seat belts.. i honestly can't remember. I'm pretty sure when we unbuckled ourselves, they were OK and retracted.

We were stationery when we were hit from the front.. so i guess that may mean the seat belts still are OK?

Thank god you and your passenger escaped without any injuries. Leave the decision whether its write off or repair to your insurance company.

I know how you feel and with the shock it takes sometimes to forget from your mind.

We can get full comprehenshive insurance and drive carefully, but we can't avoid some idiots drive carelessly and causing unwanted accidents and damages.

djpro1
02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
does look like it might need major repairs to the interior engine bay area...

are there any leakages? if so then I'd automatically say write off.

zubin
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Don't think there were any leakages.
But yes, the front of the engine bay was pretty "pushed in"..

my biggest concern is that they'll repair it - and i'll always then wonder how safe it is / whether i've just a lost a lot in resale value.

I have a young family so it really worries me.

The car is only 3.5 years old - and i have a 5 year Honda Warranty.. i assume this means they have to source new Honda or OEM parts (not reconditioned) - so this will make the job more expensive for them, right?

It does seem hard to say though that there is 27k worth of damage..

Terrano08
03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Just needs a good polish!

Just kidding. Definately a write off, looks like the engine would be misaligned

praja6
03-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Just needs a good polish!

Just kidding. Definately a write off, looks like the engine would be misaligned

Yeap by looking at the picture it would be a write off. If they insurance company decided to repair then i would be really surprised and wouldn't never again recommend the INsurance company to anyone anymore..

There is another scenario as well. Say if this Zubin's car is write off and some one like panel beaters will buy the car from Pickles auction as repairable write off and sell it later after repair the car with cheap dodgy parts..

Fingers cross Zubin your insurance company will write off your car

tron07
03-05-2010, 08:59 AM
was your car push back and hit the car behind you as well?? the rear looks damaged as well. I will say it will definetely cost at least $20K to repair, close to write off value, front, sideskirt (side), rear damage....

zubin
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Yes it was either pushed back, OR the guy behind hit me - i honestly dont' know. We felt a bang from behind but don't know how/what happened - and the guy behind drove off.
Lots of people saying its a write off - and lots saying it's not! hehe - very confusing.

zubin
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Is pickles the only write-off sale company? Are there others?

flipfire
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Id say write off as well.

I sure as hell wont drive that thing again.

zubin
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I lodged the claim.. assessor to go out in the next 3 to 4 days.
The guy on the phone said since it's insured for an agreed value of $27,000, it's likely they'll try to repair it...

worries the hell out of me.

aaronng
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I lodged the claim.. assessor to go out in the next 3 to 4 days.
The guy on the phone said since it's insured for an agreed value of $27,000, it's likely they'll try to repair it...

worries the hell out of me.
If you can get to speak to the repairers that has your car, ask them to check if the chassis is bent. If it is bent beyond repair, they can't repair it, even if doing it in a dodgy way is possible and costs under $27,000.

zubin
03-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm going to the smash repairer right now to check if i left anything in the car and get better photos - so yeah i'll ask them that, and also check if the seat belt pre-tensioners kicked in or not.

zubin
03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Just went to the smash repairer.. he reckons 95% write off.. i hope the insurance assessor agrees!!

here are some more photos. I lifted the bonnet and everything near the front has been squashed including the battery.

13992139931399413995139961399713998139991400014001 1400214003140041400514006

zubin
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Regarding the seat belts.. mine and the one at the back (baby seat) are retracting very, very slowly..

Whilst the passenger one seems completely normal.

Odd??

aaronng
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Regarding the seat belts.. mine and the one at the back (baby seat) are retracting very, very slowly..

Whilst the passenger one seems completely normal.

Odd??
Highlight that to the repairer & accessor too.
Could you check if your front and rear door gaps are still perfectly aligned? From the pics, it looks like only a bent radiator support, bonnet, radiator, condenser, smashed front end and rear bumper. Wonder if the front quarter chassis is bent underneath that panel.

zubin
03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't have easy access to the car.. it's at the repairer.. i THINK the doors were OK. i opened and closed all and they didnt feel any different.
The repairer said the chasis was damaged but didn't say how significant.
he said the repair cost would come close to the insured value - 27k.. does this mean write off likely? he suggested it did.

rayd
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
i rekon its goin to be assessed as repairable - doesn't look like the chassis has bent, so dont think the repair cost will exceed the cost of the car - but then again, im no panel beater.

BraXta
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
whats going to add up are the little bits... like radiator mounts which im sure will be broken. headlights and their mounts...

i had a mazda astina before and had a lil prang and it got ridden off because of the smaller items that were broken that just looking at cant see.. chassis might be fine but its those lil pieces that kill ya lol

as long as your insured and noone was hurt then the car did what the car was supposed to do... protect you and hurt itself =D

aaronng
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
he said the repair cost would come close to the insured value - 27k.. does this mean write off likely? he suggested it did.
They might. I can't remember the exact percentage of when they will decide to write off and when they will repair. Fingers crossed.

89superstage
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow Zubin, thats a fair whack your car's taken!
Guess its some testament to the build quality, you all walked away.

The insurance co's take on the damage, as BraXta mentions above will also depend on fixing the smaller bits. It also has rear end damage, perhaps more than meets the eye.

I do hope, for your sake that its written off, so you can start afresh.
Cheers,
Des

zubin
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Des - yeah i hope so too. Thanks everyone for your responses.

The smash repairer who has the car has susggested that the repair cost will be around 20k - however he will give the insurer (and me) a formal quote tomorrow.
If the car is insured for an agreed value of 27k, i'm not sure what they'll do.

I guess if they can salvage it for around 10k, it makes sense for them to pay me out rather than repair it. What would the salvage value of my car be? Any experts out there?

It was still driveable (as in the engine started).

noobcake
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
that would be around 5 thousand dollars at the auctions. or you can part it out etc

zubin
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
They declared it a write off!
$5000 to buy the wreck. Too much hassle i reckon so i guess i won't buy it.

How much would it sell for at an auction house?

Thankyou everyone for your help and advice, it was really appreciated.

Real Insurance have been TERRIFIC. I raised the claim on Monday - and today (Thursday) they reckon they'll put the settlement through. Amazing how fast and efficient and EASY it's all been.

89superstage
06-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Well thats the best outcome, I reckon.
Time to start shopping around :-)

Goodluck

zubin
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Yep - although now i'm sad about my Euro! haha. BUt yes, good outcome.

albii
06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
They declared it a write off!
$5000 to buy the wreck. Too much hassle i reckon so i guess i won't buy it.

How much would it sell for at an auction house?

Thankyou everyone for your help and advice, it was really appreciated.

Real Insurance have been TERRIFIC. I raised the claim on Monday - and today (Thursday) they reckon they'll put the settlement through. Amazing how fast and efficient and EASY it's all been.

Time to step up to a CU2

zubin
06-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Considering getting a bigger car as i have a "growing family".. perhaps a Hyundai IX35...

HunterZero
10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
RIP, Poor Euro. *sniff*.

Would be interested to hear how you compare the Honda Euro to the Hyundai IX35. Is the IX35 really that much bigger inside? It just looks taller outside, not bigger inside. The cheaper IX35 models come with a pretty pathetic 2.0 engine for its mass, 2.4 would be too thirsty, and the preferred diesel option is very expensive.

Hyundai interiors are usually pretty poor with cheap hard plastics and nasty looking switches and displays, they are getting better but still a step down from Honda or Mazda. Compare the IX35 to the CX7 interior or the CU2 Euro interior... Try tapping on the dash...

- HZ

aaronng
10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Hyundai interiors are usually pretty poor with cheap hard plastics and nasty looking switches and displays, they are getting better but still a step down from Honda or Mazda. Compare the IX35 to the CX7 interior or the CU2 Euro interior... Try tapping on the dash...

Yes about the hard plastics, but at least they don't rattle, unlike the CL9 Euro.

zubin
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi,
Yes i miss my Euro! I haven't had delivery of the IX35 yet but i have done a lot of researched and sat in them.
The highest model, turbo diesel is only 4k more expensive than the BASE Euro. And has lots of bells and whistles, and drives incredibly well.
It does have more space in the back seat definitely, and in the boot.
The fuel efficiency of the turbo diesel is better than the Euros.
The interior is also EXCELLENT. It really does look good. Some hard plastics still, yes, but it looks good and seems to have a solid quality feel.
I was never a Hyundai fan - but they have really come up.

The i30 won car of the year 2 years in a row.

HunterZero
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes about the hard plastics, but at least they don't rattle, unlike the CL9 Euro.

Must have lucked out, my CL9 MY06 doesn't rattle.

- HZ

HunterZero
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi,
The interior is also EXCELLENT. It really does look good. Some hard plastics still, yes, but it looks good and seems to have a solid quality feel.

I was never a Hyundai fan either, and while I'll concede that since the i30 they have come up a lot in quality (by copying Mazda and Honda), they're still not quite there yet. I just could not bring myself to buy one.

Hyundais to me still feel like they really should have been held back a bit longer for more R&D to refine the car. Rough corners on plastics, engines that are rough at revs, confused automatic gearboxes, clunky manuals, odd ergonomics, cheap feeling switches, cheap looking screens... They may have all the features, but they just don't seem to work as well.

The worst car that I have ever driven by quite a long margin was a 1997 Hyundai Sonata V6 automatic, so they had a lot of room for improvement. A friend of mine recently bought a brand new Elantra. The engine was rough at revs, the plastic scratched if you looked at it wrong, and the exhaust rattled like crazy.

- HZ

jimboturbo
10-05-2010, 03:58 PM

you have to consider that maybe the reason nobody was injured in your crash was the fact you were in a Honda. Hyundai claims through "in house" tests that the IX35 has 5-star crash safety.. but I'm yet to be convinced.
Regardless, Hyundai's are a social status repellent.

praja6
10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
you have to consider that maybe the reason nobody was injured in your crash was the fact you were in a Honda. Hyundai claims through "in house" tests that the IX35 has 5-star crash safety.. but I'm yet to be convinced.
Regardless, Hyundai's are a social status repellent.

If you want a real safe car go for Subaru or Honda EUro....I heard lot of stories both driver and passenger escaped without injuries or just with minor injuries from accident from Subaru.. Same for Honda Accord Euro as well..

What youguys think of NIssan Maxima? THe looks seems more like a luxuary car, but ANCAP gave only 4 star....

zubin
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi all. Yes, i appreciate that the Euro was a terrific car and it possibly saved our lives.
However - the Hyundai safety ratings are excellent - and i hve to trust that the experts know what they are talking about.

Yes, a lot of people have commented on the quality of the hyundais.. and i've never sat in a hyundai except the IX35.. and i must say it has a GOOD solid feeling interior. The dash looks nice.. the screens are clear and sexy looking.. i really do think they've done a good jo with this car. The reviews are also excellent.

So i think a lot of what you are saying is the stigma associated with Hyundai of the past. I felt the same a month ago.. and after a lot of research, i've come around.

tron07
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
New hyundai are a bang for you buck, cant deny that, but its handling is still a long way from the Euro.... do bring your IX35 to the Euro Syd cruise/meet....

limleong
11-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi all. Yes, i appreciate that the Euro was a terrific car and it possibly saved our lives.
However - the Hyundai safety ratings are excellent - and i hve to trust that the experts know what they are talking about.

Yes, a lot of people have commented on the quality of the hyundais.. and i've never sat in a hyundai except the IX35.. and i must say it has a GOOD solid feeling interior. The dash looks nice.. the screens are clear and sexy looking.. i really do think they've done a good jo with this car. The reviews are also excellent.

So i think a lot of what you are saying is the stigma associated with Hyundai of the past. I felt the same a month ago.. and after a lot of research, i've come around.

Hyundai has improved leaps and bound and is now competitive with the Japanese brand. I am sure you will probably be happy with the IX35 unless you are a Honda die hard like me. For me I will take the CRV over the IX35 any day. Mrs is driving the CRV :)

Have you test drive the CRV and compared it to the IX35 ?

praja6
11-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Put it this way.. Personally i will go anyday for japanese built car, thats why i choose the Accord Euro.. ALso i don't think Hyundai will build something nasty for the 40k mark. I am sure Hyundai built IX35 same as built quality as Japanese cars such as EUro or Mazda or Subaru Liberty.. Our Japanese built Euro scored 5 star ANCAP safety rating, however the Thailand built big accord scored only 4 star rating. THe IX35 got 5 start rating and to achieve the 5 star rating i am sure Hyundai definately had put the effort to built the vehicle in high standard..

MRK20CRX
11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
dude this is definitely a write off, even if it's under 27k in damage, an accessor will tell you, the damage is so severe that it would be unsafe to repair it.

nickxau
11-05-2010, 10:20 PM
dude this is definitely a write off, even if it's under 27k in damage, an accessor will tell you, the damage is so severe that it would be unsafe to repair it.

DOOD! Where have you been when all this happened? Post #43 mate... :cool:

zubin
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Haha yes, a bit late! but you are right - a write off.
I think it was pretty close.. apprently the repair quote was between 12 and 16k.. so it could have been repaired.. and i guess it WILL be repaired...

nickxau
12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
What do u mean???

tron07
12-05-2010, 09:28 AM
If you repair with all brand new parts its will not be that price 12-16k, but if you do it with wrecker's part, etc, then probably should be able to do it up around that figure.

zubin
12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
They would have had to use new parts - as the car was covered by a 5 year warranty..
anyway - doesn't matter - now i just have to await delivery of my new iX35..

euroRwannabe
12-05-2010, 10:18 AM
fark, write off for sure, i recently had an accident too, scraped the left side (starting from the separation of front and back door) all the way to the rear on my own fence...my insurance is only 3rd party (covers only the other person i crashed into) so i copped it pretty bad, it's still got ugly pink scrapes and heavy dints near the petrol mouth panel. Shattered, but this is pretty bad dude.

HunterZero
12-05-2010, 11:18 AM
They would have had to use new parts - as the car was covered by a 5 year warranty..
anyway - doesn't matter - now i just have to await delivery of my new iX35..

Honda sold that model with a three year factory warranty. The dealer may have extended that to 5, but insurers typically only consider the factory warranty. So they would probably not use new parts.

I pity the poor person who ends up buying that car after it has been rebirthed.

- HZ

furythree
12-05-2010, 11:59 AM
the engine still worked!

LOL thats a honda engine alright
if u got hurt because the airbags didnt deploy...think of that lawsuit. id still ring honda up and ask wtf is going on. u dont feel safe anymore, dont ever wanna buy a honda again cause its unsafe. blah blah. ur going to tell the news that honda airbags are toyota brake quality. then they might give u a free car.

btw if the other party doesnt have insurance and its their fault. what happens then? u have to claim it out of ur own insurance? i would sent a few thugs to the other guys house and make him cough up the money. no way id let my premiums rise for someone elses idiocy. wat car were they driving?

zubin
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
They were driving a 10 year old (atleast) Commodore.. however even though they weren't insured, that doesn't affect me. My insurer (Real Insurance) will now claim the money from him personally.. even though they've already paid me out (they paid me out 1 week after my claim - amazing service!).. and i don't pay an excess as it was his fault.

yes - 3 year standard warranty but then i had an extra 2 year FACTORY warranty.. not from the dealer. I wonder if this would have mattered?

I was considering ringing Honda - but a number of people have said that the airbags only go off if you are hit head on.. we were hit at an angle?? And my Euro didn't have curtain airbags.. otherwise i assume maybe one of them may have gone off.. i donno.

The hit was pretty bad but we were staionary - so it wasn't bad enough for us to jerk forward and hit our heads or get too much whiplash.. i guess that's why the airbags didn't go off. Not sure it's worth ringing Honda and complaining.

HunterZero
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
yes - 3 year standard warranty but then i had an extra 2 year FACTORY warranty.. not from the dealer. I wonder if this would have mattered?

Might depend how grumpy the people you are speaking to at the insurance company are that day... I'll have to check mine to see if it's classed as 'factory' or 'dealer' warranty, I was under the impression it was dealer warranty. I bought mine under the offer of free roadside assist, free insurance, free onroads and 5 years warranty, but I'll double check.

A friend of mine had a bingle in her car, and she had a 2 extra years dealer extended warranty on top of 3 year factory warranty, but GIO insisted that this didn't count and they refused to pay for new parts.

I was considering ringing Honda - but a number of people have said that the airbags only go off if you are hit head on.. we were hit at an angle?? And my Euro didn't have curtain airbags.. otherwise i assume maybe one of them may have gone off.. i donno.

They only go off if the sensors are hit, or if the car decelerates over a certain G force, and the car detects people sitting in those locations. As said previously, airbags in Australian standards compliant cars are less likely to go off, because of mandatory seatbelts. I am pretty sure if the other car had hit your door, the side and curtain airbags would have gone off.

The car shell is designed to absorb impact in a crash and divert the force of the accident around the occupants. The airbags typically don't deploy unless absolutely necessary, to minimise trauma to the occupants as much as possible.

If the airbags didn't go off, the accident wasn't nasty enough for the airbags to make a difference.

Nobody ended up with a concussion? I would only really start asking questions if someone was injured, eg with a concussion or worse. If you came away with no injuries or only light bruising, the car has done its job.

I am sure if you rang Honda, they'd give you a technical explanation of what happened.

- HZ

aaronng
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
LOL thats a honda engine alright
if u got hurt because the airbags didnt deploy...think of that lawsuit. id still ring honda up and ask wtf is going on. u dont feel safe anymore, dont ever wanna buy a honda again cause its unsafe. blah blah. ur going to tell the news that honda airbags are toyota brake quality. then they might give u a free car.

If you read the thread, his car was stationary when it got hit, hence the reason why the airbags did not deploy.

zubin
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi HunterZero. yes, i also purchased the euro (in Dec 06) with 5 year warranty, 5 year roadside assist, 1 year insurance etc.. and im 99% sure it's a FACTORY warranty as it was issued by Honda, not by the dealer.

Re the accident - yep, it was not bad enough for us to jolt forward very hard - so i guess the airbags didn't need to go off. If i had curtain airbags, i suspect they MAY have gone off.

HunterZero
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
If i had curtain airbags, i suspect they MAY have gone off.

Ah, of course. Standard doesn't have the curtain airbags.

- HZ

praja6
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Guys,

The extended warranty comes with 5yr Road side assistance is the Honda Factory Warranty. I got extened Honda Factor warranty as well with my Euro CU2..

I just look at the Warranty(Honda assured warranty extra 40k or 2yrs on top of 3yrs 100k warranty, means 5yrs, 140000kms)it says only it covers with defective Honda parts. It doesnt say anything the warranty will cover for accidental damage parts replace...If any of the car parts(except tyres, break pad, spark plug etc etc)found defected during the 5yr period, they will replace with with New Honda genuine parts..

I didn't know CL9 standard Euro doesnt comes with curtain airbags. Nowdays with CU2 both standard and luxuary models comes with 6airbags including the curtain one standard..

HunterZero
13-05-2010, 01:41 PM
The extended warranty comes with 5yr Road side assistance is the Honda Factory Warranty. I got extened Honda Factor warranty as well with my Euro CU2..

Ah, good to know. So mine's probably 5yr factory warranty as well, so it should be recognised by insurers.

I just look at the Warranty(Honda assured warranty extra 40k or 2yrs on top of 3yrs 100k warranty, means 5yrs, 140000kms)it says only it covers with defective Honda parts. It doesnt say anything the warranty will cover for accidental damage parts replace...If any of the car parts(except tyres, break pad, spark plug etc etc)found defected during the 5yr period, they will replace with with New Honda genuine parts..

No warranty will cover accidental damage. It is the policy of the insurer to use reconditioned or used parts for repairs on cars that are longer covered by new car factory warranty. This seems to be pretty standard across insurers, but some insurers limit this to 3 years. They make repairs using parts 'consistent with the age of the vehicle'.

I didn't know CL9 standard Euro doesnt comes with curtain airbags. Nowdays with CU2 both standard and luxuary models comes with 6airbags including the curtain one standard..

Standard CL9 only has front and side airbags. Only the CL9 lux has curtain airbags.

- HZ

eurogo
16-06-2010, 07:40 AM
wow so many posts!,
I did my research, apparently if the damage is over 75% of the insured value they'll write it off. I had a honda civic, fully comp insured with shannons, had a bad acco, was insured for 14k, damage bill was around 9k to fix, they wrote it off and payed me out...

Also euroRwannabe why would you buy a new CU2 and only get third party instead of full comp- are you crazy?! haha. sucks about your doors tho dude!

sameol3
02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Funny enough my euro cl9 was written off last yr too... it was insured for 26K and the repair bill was 14K with nothing wrong with the chasis just the underbody eg. Transmission/drive shaft/Suspension etc. and it was still marked as a repairable write off according to Just cars... They told me if its over 50% of the market value it would be a write off... and my 04 lux euro was at pickles... with its full underbody dmged...

Perhaps it depends on the insurance company...

grifty
18-07-2010, 12:26 PM
looks like it was written off

http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/find_buy/catalogues/catalogue/?unit_key=110071_AU272863974-110071;detail_tab=vinfo;sale_id=110071;catsearch_c rit=stream%3DSalvage;rm=view_detail

noobcake
18-07-2010, 12:41 PM
nice find sir!

praja6
18-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Hmmm its Zubins one...Just wait and see in few months this car will be rebirth and will be advertise in carsales.com.au site for 10-15k.....

EUR003act
19-07-2010, 03:49 PM
dont know if its been said or not... but airbag wouldnt have deployed because front impact bars (passenger side one can be seen in front on pics, its the rectangle shaped steel sticking out thru the front bumper) were not compressed... these are what the airbag sensors are attached too... :D

zubin
20-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi all -been a while since i've been on here. I've checked fowles about 20 times since my accident - amazing that nearly 3 months later it turns up! I am very curious how much it will sell for tomorrow.. what do people do - fix it cheap and then sell? I thought you couldn't sell repairable write offs in NSW?

Thanks for the info re the airbag. Makes sense.

I now own a Hyundai ix35 - had it 2 weeks- and absolutely love it.

Was sad seeing my euro though!!